Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shoe sizes... aargh!

When I started losing weight on my own, my shoe size went down (from a 16W to a 14W). It was actually great, because my feet didn't hurt anymore. And so I dutifully bought all new shoes.

When I consulted with my surgeon, I asked if it was likely that my shoe size would change again, and he said no, I had arches now and it's not like arches just randomly re-establish themselves to where they were. Don't worry about it, he said.

Last week I was exercising and noticed I had a blister on each foot. I went to a shoe store and measured my feet—size 12, and no longer wide.

I love the way I feel but my poor wallet! I had to buy new work boots, too, (11.5—those always run big) and those are NOT cheap.

I still have 70 lbs. to lose... am I gonna end up doing this all again in six months or a year? I guess we'll find out.

Yeah, I'm down 70lbs and down from a 9 to an 8. Last time I lost 100 lbs I replaced all my shoes and then when I gained it back I threw the "new" ones out and just started wearing hiking shoes all the time due to a neuroma. Since my hikers were getting too big to be comfortable, I decided to try wearing real shoes again; so far, so good!

My feet were never wide, but I do have a high instep, so it's hard to get some styles on. My mom has the same issue and she's "average" sized. I don't know if my feet will shrink more, but I'm not going to invest in a lot of shoes right now!

I went from a ladies size 7.5-8 to 6-6.5

Yeah, i had to buy a whole bunch of new shoes, but i LOVE shoes so…im counting it as a win, LOL.

Lol. Yesterday I posted on OOTD a pxt of my most recent shoe clear out. 21/2 years out & I’m still clearing out shoes that are too big. I went down from a 38.5/39 to a 37.5/38. My foot is narrower as well as shorter in length. I’d kept some because I thought I might be able to wear them again - what was I thinking. Crazy. Others I just hadn’t worn for a while so didn’t realise they were so much too big. I have too many shoes but it has been an excellent justification to buy new ones. 😆😆😆

I wouldn’t buy too many new shoes while you are still losing either. Try some inner soles, heel grips, etc. for those shoes that are a half or maybe a full size too big to carry you through. I wore thicker socks with boots in winter which helped some too.

1 hour ago, Arabesque said:

Lol. Yesterday I posted on OOTD a pxt of my most recent shoe clear out. 21/2 years out & I’m still clearing out shoes that are too big. I went down from a 38.5/39 to a 37.5/38. My foot is narrower as well as shorter in length. I’d kept some because I thought I might be able to wear them again - what was I thinking. Crazy. Others I just hadn’t worn for a while so didn’t realise they were so much too big. I have too many shoes but it has been an excellent justification to buy new ones. 😆😆😆

I wouldn’t buy too many new shoes while you are still losing either. Try some inner soles, heel grips, etc. for those shoes that are a half or maybe a full size too big to carry you through. I wore thicker socks with boots in winter which helped some too.

I'm not going crazy, but I absolutely have to have work boots that fit, I am just in them too long to deal with heel grips (which don't work on cowboy boots which is what I wear). Some shoes I replace regularly—my Vans get dirty past the point where I can successfully clean them, and they're cheap, so I just replace them. I was 11.5 US (AU 44) in high school, and I wasn't fat then, so 12 US (AU 45) doesn't seem like there's TOO much room for me to shrink any more.

Edited by vikingbeast

I went from a ladies 10.5W to a 9. It's weird how your feet shrink too lol. I wasn't expecting it!

9 hours ago, NovaLuna said:

I went from a ladies 10.5W to a 9. It's weird how your feet shrink too lol. I wasn't expecting it!

I've had doctors say people's feet don't shrink, but I know from personal experience they do. Doctors can be so clueless sometimes.

I hoped- alas, all I did was go from a womens 12W to a regular 12. I had such high hopes to go back to an 11. I did have to replace a lot of my shoes because they were too wide, but that was just a drop in the bucket of new clothes expenses.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:48 AM, lizonaplane said:

I've had doctors say people's feet don't shrink, but I know from personal experience they do. Doctors can be so clueless sometimes.

I guess what they mean is the bones dont shrink but if you have fat feet and you loose weight of course they will get smaller just like your hands /fingers do

My feet were one of the last places that got fat - and one of the first places to go back to normal. I'm a US13 now, but my shoe size hasn't changed for the last 100 lbs or so.

Edited by Guest

Sort of the same here. My shoe size didn't change, but I'm no longer a wide width, just a medium width. I just bought new athletic shoes yesterday.

This weekend i went out to a friends cattle property and thought i will get my old akubra (hat) out which was previously to tight its now to big 🤣🤣🤣 but then i had a chilling thought my ariat boots that I loved but could no longer get my foot in so i sold them would now fit me again too that made me very sad cause i had never seen another pair like them. I should have kept them 😢😢😢

I never even considered this! I have worn an extra-wide shoe my whole adult life, and my shoes seem to feel better now, but I have not purchased new ones. I’ve gone down at least four clothing sizes, so it makes sense. Definitely something to consider when it’s time to buy new.