Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 3 weeks out. Am I doing something wrong?

I had the gastric bypass on Oct 12. Ive lost 10lbs since then & havent lost anymore. I feel like I might be doing something wrong? I’ve read so much about people not meeting Protein goals due to feeling full/restriction, which I dont feel.
I’m currently able to eat 3-4oz meals & I feel like maybe its too much? Like I shouldnt be able to eat so much, so soon after surgery. I’m eating slowly, taking time between each bite & I wait the 30 mns after my meal to drink Water. However, I don’t feel any restriction and I don’t feel full(I dont feel hungry either, but I eat to reach my protein goals). Should I be able to eat this much so soon out of surgery? Am I eating too much & that’s why I haven't lost any more weight? Is there something I should do differently?

*I was cleared to eat eggs, flaky fish, & tuna. & I eat every 3-4hrs, & once I meet my protein goal, I focus on my water & don’t eat more. For reference

Edited by Prisci1608
Misspelled

Weeks 3-6 are common stall weeks. If you're still stalled after that, then look at switching things up.

I got the sleeve on Oct 20th and have lost 12 lbs since. I’m pretty down about it. Had my 4 week checkup expecting to hear not to worry, stalls are common. Instead, they were concerned I was eating too much: I was averaging 700-800 calories a day and they said most people at my stage are taking in appx 500. I’m trying very hard to cut back to lower calories and have quit weighing myself but beginning to think it’s not really going to work for me.

5 hours ago, Tupelo said:

I got the sleeve on Oct 20th and have lost 12 lbs since. I’m pretty down about it. Had my 4 week checkup expecting to hear not to worry, stalls are common. Instead, they were concerned I was eating too much: I was averaging 700-800 calories a day and they said most people at my stage are taking in appx 500. I’m trying very hard to cut back to lower calories and have quit weighing myself but beginning to think it’s not really going to work for me.

They told me the same thing, but it depends on your level of physical activity. But I've always been able to eat more than they suggest.

Here is reality: you were probably eating 2000-3000 calories a day before, and now you are eating much less. Whether you're eating 500 cal or 800 cal, you are still WAY DOWN IN A CALORIC DEFICIT. So if they're trying to blame a stall on that, they're full of you-know-what.

Stay off the scale, eat your food, make sure you are getting physical exercise, even if it's just a couple of walks a day.

It will move. The scale will move. It's simple physics.

Sounds to me you are on the right path. The first month stalls due to Water weight and the body's adjustments are very common. Restriction came a little later for me when I got to solid foods and my body was competed healed.

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 11/21/2021 at 11:13 PM, vikingbeast said:

They told me the same thing, but it depends on your level of physical activity. But I've always been able to eat more than they suggest.

Here is reality: you were probably eating 2000-3000 calories a day before, and now you are eating much less. Whether you're eating 500 cal or 800 cal, you are still WAY DOWN IN A CALORIC DEFICIT. So if they're trying to blame a stall on that, they're full of you-know-what.

Stay off the scale, eat your food, make sure you are getting physical exercise, even if it's just a couple of walks a day.

It will move. The scale will move. It's simple physics.

You were right, of course. 3 weeks was a long discouraging stall, but I am now down 7 more lbs. in the last week. On the move again!

1 hour ago, Tupelo said:

You were right, of course. 3 weeks was a long discouraging stall, but I am now down 7 more lbs. in the last week. On the move again!

I'm so glad to hear it! I eat about 1300-1500 cal a day and am still losing 3-4 lbs a week, so the "yOu ShOuLd OnLy Be EaTiNg 500 CaLoRiEs" stuff just grates on my nerves. Maybe it works for some people; you and I are not those people.

I am so glad I found a nutritionist who doesn't just read the n-th generation copy of the guidelines. (I work off about 600-700 of those calories just doing my work and workouts.)

Edited by vikingbeast

I was so glad to read this. I am 3 weeks out and have only lost 3 pounds. I am never really hungry, but eat because I know I have to. I have trouble fitting in all the food and shakes I need with waiting for the H2O intake before and after. I am ALWAYS thirsty and would prefer to just bring Water all day if I had a choice. I am walking 3-4 x/day. I am not dehydrated but, continued shakes and Soups have lost appeal. Maybe now that I can start on pureed foods I will be more motivated. I hope that I can start to loose more weight soon. Getting a bit discouraged.

I'm your wls twin. I was avg. About 300-500 calories. My nutritionist and surgeon were not happy with how little my calories I was eating. Encouraged to eat a minimum of 600, up to 900 calories. They want me aiming for 90g of Protein daily and more frequent high protein meals. I have had like 3 stalls on my journey. It has be mentally tough on me. However, I will say that when I'm eating 1k calories...I feel better. I broke my stall. So, I'm not sure why they're wanting u to literally starve yourself. That's crazy to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the gastric bypass on Oct 12. Ive lost 10lbs since then & havent lost anymore. I feel like I might be doing something wrong? I’ve read so much about people not meeting Protein goals due to feeling full/restriction, which I dont feel.
I’m currently able to eat 3-4oz meals & I feel like maybe its too much? Like I shouldnt be able to eat so much, so soon after surgery. I’m eating slowly, taking time between each bite & I wait the 30 mns after my meal to drink Water. However, I don’t feel any restriction and I don’t feel full(I dont feel hungry either, but I eat to reach my Protein goals). Should I be able to eat this much so soon out of surgery? Am I eating too much & that’s why I haven't lost any more weight? Is there something I should do differently?
*I was cleared to eat eggs, flaky fish, & tuna. & I eat every 3-4hrs, & once I meet my protein goal, I focus on my Water & don’t eat more. For reference

I'm the same! Almost 4 weeks out and only lost 10 pounds. It's almost depressing

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

Some people are just slow losers. But everybody and every body is bound by the CICO (calories in calories out) equation. If you are eating in a caloric deficit, which literally every post-op bariatric patient (regardless of surgery) is, you are going to lose weight. It just may not be leaps and bounds. And for those who lost a ton of weight quickly, a lot of that is Water weight and many of us stalled after our body recalculated its hydration needs, whereas many slow losers lose steadily.

It. Will. Come. Off.

I encourage recording your body measurements. When I hit stalls and started to question my weight loss, recording body measurements reinforced me.