Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Using straws after surgery

Hey everyone I’m about one week post op and I’m just looking for some guidance. They say we shouldn’t use straws after. Does anyone know why??

Straws can bring air into your stomach which can cause gas like pains. Some people don't have problems other do. I imagine if someone was going to have problems it would be in the first six to 12 weeks, while the stomach is healing and is still tender and they are getting use to restrictions etc.

I am not one to typically use a straw, so didn't have a need to use one or test it out.

I think using straws is one of those variable things about weight loss surgery - depends on your surgeon and/or what you may read. Some were told never to use a straw again, others maybe in time, others were not told anything. These two links were just the first two I found, I've linked them for no other reason.

https://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/drinking-through-a-straw-after-wls/

https://mexicobariatriccenter.com/bariatric-surgery-myths/

Looks like you got a good explanation from Hop_Scotch. FWIW, I’ve used a straw from about 2 weeks out. I use one all day, every day. I have no problems. My program’s advice was to try it. If it bothers you, don’t use it.

I was told no straws and no bubble drinks. Both ive been a stickler on. Like others have said, do what your surgeon recommends. This is what mine recommended. I’m 3 years out and have stuck to it.

I find if I use a straw, I get the "burps" easily. I've only done it once. But I didn't really use straws before—I remember elderly relatives chiding me for using one because "det er til småbørn"—those are for little kids. (I am not judging anyone who uses one, by the way, just got hammered into my head.)

Using straws is another one of those things that some surgeons say no to but others say it’s ok like @Hop_Scotch said.

Personally I used a straw but only if I was drinking from a bottle & that was to control the size of my sips. (Tended to gulp when drinking from a bottle.) Fortunately, we still had access to plastic straws back then so it didn’t matter if I left the straw in the bottle for most of the day - no soggy mess 😁😁. Once I could handle a swallow larger than a sip I stopped using them.

As others have said all programs are different. My program allows straws. I think after you cut out fast food fountain drinks most adults probably don't use them often. The only time I found a need for straws was when I had my skin removal surgery on my arms. Then I drank everything...even coffee...through a straw because I couldn't bend my arms enough because my incisions go past my elbows. I think we have to remember that we get "guidelines" not laws! As adults we have the ability to try things and decide whether it works for us or not! You know your own body and will figure out if using a straw makes you uncomfortable and will put it on hold to try again later after you heal.

I'm not someone who tended to use straws before surgery (4 weeks ago). Today I had to have a CT scan to check for gallstones and they gave me 500mL of contrast to drink, with a straw in it. I looked at the bottle and it seemed like it wasn't intended to drink from directly, so I used the straw. I had no issues, other than the taste of the drink. I hate paper straws but I think if I need to use a straw for a particular reason and I'm given a plastic one, I'll use it.

This is one of the rules I found pretty arbitrary and weird. I have drunk through straws throughout as I just couldn't sip things, and it still helps me regulate how much I'm taking in. At no point do I accidentally swallow gallons of air just because I'm using a straw! However, people are different and surgeons are different, you know what they've advised and you know your body. I don't think there is any big secret to it, if you take in air when you use a straw then avoid, if you don't then it's probably fine.

I started drinking through a straw a few months ago and I’ve never had a problem. I only drink iced coffee and iced lattes through a straw though so I’m not a frequent utilizer of one. I noticed absolutely no problems or difference. I’d wait til a few months post op before trying it.

I do abide by the no carbonation thing…except for beer. 😎

My surgery program said no straws - they suggested the air could stretch out the stomach pouch. Anyone know anything about this?