Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else experienced this?

I had surgery March 3, 2021. I was 268 at the beginning of my journey and 262 at the time of surgery. I am 173 as of today. I know I have lost weight but when I look into the mirror I see the same size pre surgery.

Hi there, Chantrella. I haven't lost enough weight yet to see much change yet, but I experienced this after the last diet I went on 5 years ago (gained it all back, plus some). I had lost 92 lbs, and obviously should have seen a change, but couldn't. I would look in the mirror and see myself just as big as before. My therapist said it's called Body Dysmorphia. It's basically when the brain sees our body looking different than what it is. She told me it's common after major weight loss because our brains get so used to seeing our bodies as it has for so long. Then, suddenly we drop and shrink, but our brains haven't caught up to our success yet. Eventually, I started to see my weight loss with her help. Some people experience it as a lifelong struggle she said, but working through it with my therapist helped me to finally see it. After regaining it all, I saw some pictures taken after that weight loss, and I couldn't understand how I never saw how "small" (for me) I had gotten. It frustrated me, but I'm trying to remember that for this time around.

I had surgery March 3, 2021. I was 268 at the beginning of my journey and 262 at the time of surgery. I am 173 as of today. I know I have lost weight but when I look into the mirror I see the same size pre surgery.

The mental part is the hardest. You know what they say about your inner child... But I'm the opposite. I always had low self esteem and I feel like I look the same as before surgery and have to force myself to look in the mirror and I take selfies so I can see the new me (which I hated people taking selfies before and I never did! But I don't post them to social media. In fact, I haven't posted an actual picture of myself in years!). Now I'm afraid to update my avatar picture that I have up because they'll all think I want/need compliments and I hate being center of attention. Lol Congratulations!!!

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, Laurie C. said:

The mental part is the hardest. You know what they say about your inner child... But I'm the opposite. I always had low self esteem and I feel like I look the same as before surgery and have to force myself to look in the mirror and I take selfies so I can see the new me (which I hated people taking selfies before and I never did! But I don't post them to social media. In fact, I haven't posted an actual picture of myself in years!). Now I'm afraid to update my avatar picture that I have up because they'll all think I want/need compliments and I hate being center of attention. Lol Congratulations!!!

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

This is exactly how I felt also! I'm finally adjusting now and will actually pose for pictures and post them. It has taken a while for me to realize that I am pretty darn small now. As I was losing weight, I also couldn't really see a difference until about 60 lbs. One time I was in TJ Maxx and caught my reflection sideways as I walked past. I stopped and looked again because I couldn't believe that small person was really me! It took a while for me to stop looking at clothing and wondering if it would make me look fat. I finally had to start telling myself, 'This is a size whatever (6, then 4 then 2) I couldn't possibly look fat in a size 2!" Body dysmorphia is real!

Congratulations on your success!

it does take awhile for your brain to catch up. For a long time I was really surprised when I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror, because in my head, I was still obese. The best thing I ever did was have my husband take pictures of me from all four sides once a month on my surgery date - every month until I hit maintenance. It's hard to deny the changes if I look at my "photo journey".

Thank you all for your responses. I am happy to see I am not alone. I haven’t even replaced my 2X clothes because I’m mentally comfortable In them. How can I be disappointed with them. I’ve always worn 2X tights and 2X shirt. I have no idea what my true size is now. Everything I have is big on me but it’s my safe place for now.

19 hours ago, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

This is exactly how I felt also! I'm finally adjusting now and will actually pose for pictures and post them. It has taken a while for me to realize that I am pretty darn small now. As I was losing weight, I also couldn't really see a difference until about 60 lbs. One time I was in TJ Maxx and caught my reflection sideways as I walked past. I stopped and looked again because I couldn't believe that small person was really me! It took a while for me to stop looking at clothing and wondering if it would make me look fat. I finally had to start telling myself, 'This is a size whatever (6, then 4 then 2) I couldn't possibly look fat in a size 2!" Body dysmorphia is real!

Congratulations on your success!

Size 2 & 4? I was hoping for 10 & 12! Damn! I really don't know what size I am now. Congrats!

3 hours ago, Laurie C. said:

Size 2 & 4? I was hoping for 10 & 12! Damn! I really don't know what size I am now. Congrats!

Thanks. Yes, I went into this hoping for a single digit size. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever believe I'd be wearing a size 2. When my surgeon was marking me for my plastic surgery a couple of weeks ago (breast lift and back lift) I told him I wished he was doing my thighs so I could finally figure out what size pants I wear. He said to me "What are you now, a size 2?" I told him, "size 2 hips and size 4 thighs." I did put on a pair of size 2P pants yesterday and they were too big in the hips and waist. I figure they were either vanity sized or mislabeled! Hopefully, I get my thighs lifted in Jan/Feb and I'll be done with this plastic surgery journey!

Many people with body dysmorphia have reported that it can often be "tricked" by looking at photographs, not mirrors. Side and rear views (not face on) seem to help.