Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Surgery Buddies!!

I had mine on 15th too, why are you on the fence?

Hello September 2021 VSG team! I had my procedure 14 Sept 2021 and have regrets thus far. I’m 9 days post op and we’ll on my way to recovery with little to no adverse complications to report. Weight loss 9 days post op 14 pds. I have found this app/form immensely informative and appreciate each and every tidbit of the individuals experience included in this shared journey. Be well.

Hey guys I'm back to check in. To those of you still on the preOp diet and those of you worrying about what the future may hold: I had my surgery 9/10, am almost 2 weeks out and while there are some things I am dealing with that I will share, all of this has been so worth it.

I had the gas pains after surgery and while they seriously made me question what the heck I had gotten my self into, I forced myself to walk and stretch as much as I could and they dissipated pretty quickly (1-2 days). My reaction to the anesthesia was pretty rough, I was tachycardic and had to be put on oxygen for a bit after coming to. It took me at least a full 12 hours to be totally awake and get rid of the weakness in my legs. And lastly, today marks 27 full days where my intake has been liquid (including preOp diet) so I feel a little spacey and weak sometimes.

BUT, I get better every day, can walk further every day, my clothes get looser every day, and only have 8 more days til I can have my first taste of soft foods - gonna go for an egg with a bit of avocado I think...

Now for the hard numbers - I weighed myself this morning to get accurate numbers. I weighed 245 at the beginning of LRD and weighed in at 218 today - down 27 pounds. I already see a huge difference in my face and want to cry that I waited even this long to make this decision for myself.

I am an overthinker and worrier by nature, so if you are doubting or are worried and want to talk, I am willing to talk it through with you.

This is one of those times when you gotta take the leap of faith and trust that you have the drive to follow the plan and make this happen. The anticipation is killer but being in it and doing it, you're able to focus on the steps to take to be successful and it feels incredible to be doing something so productive for yourself.

Hi All ! My surgery was Monday 9/20 and I was on a full liquid diet 21 days prior. I am only 3 days post op and I must admit the amount of pain I am experiencing is not like what I had in mind. It is mostly gas pain and I’m walking as much as possible and also taking chewable Gas-X but the gas pains will not subside. The first 2 days after surgery my entire body felt like I was hit by a semi truck and I mean entire body (legs, arms, chest, back, and tummy). Today I woke up feeling less sore and my stomach didn’t hurt much but the second I took in some liquids the gas pain came back and my stomach hurts every time I sip from my 1 oz cup . I started the full liquid diet today again so in addition to the Clear Liquids I’ve been drinking post op I am now allowed the regular Premier Protein . I am finding it hard to reach my liquid intake especially the Protein as I am still on the first bottle of protein and it is already 4:36pm.

3 minutes ago, Jasmine Nichole said:

Hi All ! My surgery was Monday 9/20 and I was on a full liquid diet 21 days prior. I am only 3 days post op and I must admit the amount of pain I am experiencing is not like what I had in mind. It is mostly gas pain and I’m walking as much as possible and also taking chewable Gas-X but the gas pains will not subside. The first 2 days after surgery my entire body felt like I was hit by a semi truck and I mean entire body (legs, arms, chest, back, and tummy). Today I woke up feeling less sore and my stomach didn’t hurt much but the second I took in some liquids the gas pain came back and my stomach hurts every time I sip from my 1 oz cup . I started the full liquid diet today again so in addition to the Clear Liquids I’ve been drinking post op I am now allowed the regular Premier Protein . I am finding it hard to reach my liquid intake especially the Protein as I am still on the first bottle of Protein and it is already 4:36pm.

Is it because you can’t get the shakes down because the clear Protein Drinks were easier for me to get down in the beginning. The shakes tasted too sweet for a while.

17 minutes ago, Jasmine Nichole said:

Hi All ! My surgery was Monday 9/20 and I was on a full liquid diet 21 days prior. I am only 3 days post op and I must admit the amount of pain I am experiencing is not like what I had in mind. It is mostly gas pain and I’m walking as much as possible and also taking chewable Gas-X but the gas pains will not subside. The first 2 days after surgery my entire body felt like I was hit by a semi truck and I mean entire body (legs, arms, chest, back, and tummy). Today I woke up feeling less sore and my stomach didn’t hurt much but the second I took in some liquids the gas pain came back and my stomach hurts every time I sip from my 1 oz cup . I started the full liquid diet today again so in addition to the Clear Liquids I’ve been drinking post op I am now allowed the regular Premier Protein . I am finding it hard to reach my liquid intake especially the Protein as I am still on the first bottle of Protein and it is already 4:36pm.

Hi Jasmine, I had my surgery the 13th and I did experience the same issue with drinking my liquids, my doctor suggested ice packs on the tummy and to take advil gel minis which I take 2 in the morning before I even get out of bed and let my tummy settle down before I get out of bed. That has seemed to help with the swelling and pain in the actual stomach and after it kicks in I can actually sip my liquids and protein with a sip sip small pain and burp. Something that also helped me was drinking Gatorade G2 clear protein drinks and making them into Popsicles as well. I hope this helps and you'll want to make sure your doctor says it's OK to take the advil but it has seriously made a huge difference for. Good luck and it does get better, a tiny bit everyday im 11 days out and I still get gas pains but way less.

On 9/15/2021 at 1:39 PM, Kenda0928 said:

Y'all...... Surgery is next Tuesday (9/21) and I'm starting to question it alllllllll. What if I fail? What if this is just another thing I screw up and end up NOT losing weight, or worse, gaining weight? What if it doesn't work for me? What if I'm one of those people who loses 20lbs and then stops (not to negate a 20lb loss, that is GREAT, but its only a drop in the bucket for me)? I will never be able to forgive myself if I spend all this time and money and put my family through the stress of surgery, just to fail again. I'm not scared of the surgery of the rest of the pre-op diet or the work required post-op. But I am TERRIFIED of failing again and I'm not sure how to get out of my own head. Anyone else spiraling? How do we break the shame cycle?

ETA: Yes, I've done therapy and it was very helpful. Not currently attending, but am working through a self-paced program specific to binge eating/ food addition and shame. I know this is in my head and I'm taking steps to work on it, just crowd sourcing some encouragement.

Hey Kenda,

I really hope you went through with it! Mine was on Tuesday and I went through with it. Had some gas pains on Wednesday and some yesterday, but today I feel great. A few small aches at the incision sites, but nothing near what I was expecting (I was expecting the painI had after gallbladder removal).

I feel like having this almost forced me into being optimistic because I know I can’t change it now! I was in a great frame of mind before but the doubt kept sinking in on me, too. It seems that it is pretty normal for that to happen.

On 9/15/2021 at 1:39 PM, Kenda0928 said:

Y'all...... Surgery is next Tuesday (9/21) and I'm starting to question it alllllllll. What if I fail? What if this is just another thing I screw up and end up NOT losing weight, or worse, gaining weight? What if it doesn't work for me? What if I'm one of those people who loses 20lbs and then stops (not to negate a 20lb loss, that is GREAT, but its only a drop in the bucket for me)? I will never be able to forgive myself if I spend all this time and money and put my family through the stress of surgery, just to fail again. I'm not scared of the surgery of the rest of the pre-op diet or the work required post-op. But I am TERRIFIED of failing again and I'm not sure how to get out of my own head. Anyone else spiraling? How do we break the shame cycle?

ETA: Yes, I've done therapy and it was very helpful. Not currently attending, but am working through a self-paced program specific to binge eating/ food addition and shame. I know this is in my head and I'm taking steps to work on it, just crowd sourcing some encouragement.

Hey Kenda,

I really hope you went through with it! Mine was on Tuesday and I went through with it. Had some gas pains on Wednesday and some yesterday, but today I feel great. A few small aches at the incision sites, but nothing near what I was expecting (I was expecting the painI had after gallbladder removal).

I feel like having this almost forced me into being optimistic because I know I can’t change it now! I was in a great frame of mind before but the doubt kept sinking in on me, too. It seems that it is pretty normal for that to happen.

2 minutes ago, Jasmine Nichole said:

No it hits my stomach really hard . I could not drink the clear Protein Drinks those tasted extremely sweet to me

I had issues with stuff tasting too sweet too and the fruit punch premiere Protein Drink was my go to because it wasn’t overly sweet to me. Not sure if it would work for you but it’s worth a try. I got mine on Amazon (because I knew my husband would drink it if I didn’t like it) but you may be able to find it in smaller quantity elsewhere. I know Walmart carries the premiere shakes. Not sure if they Carry their Protein Water.

Hi everyone!

I’m trying not to freak out, but I need a little reality check.

GAstric bypass on 9/13. Everything went SO well. I’ve been exercising everyday since (heavy cardio and weights) and following the meal plan. I started purées on day 7. I’m getting all my Protein and Water.

On day 7 post-op I was down 11.8 pounds (SW: 233 > 221) I was shocked. And so SO very excited that this will FINALLY happen for me. Then nothing happened for 2 days. On day 9, I saw 218 on the scale. But then the next day (day 10) I was back up to 221. And I’ve been there since (today is day 11).

I had my post-op appointment (day 10 PO) w. surgeons office and they said all looks good. I mentioned my concern with the number on the scale. I was told that all they care about right now is amount of protein, Vitamin levels, and incisions. They’ll care about numbers “between 3 and 6 months.” 😳

I’m just so disheartened. I’m petrified that this will just be another thing that doesn’t work for me. Rationally? I know it’s been 11 days. But it just feels like everything else I’ve tried in the past right now. Everything I’ve tried and not had work.

Any advice / stories would be appreciated ❤️

On 09/25/2021 at 09:20, dianaplatano said:

Had surgery September 15! Good luck to everyone who’s still waiting on theirs or going through recovery

How are you getting on? Also had surgery on 15th a little tired, hard to drink all the liquids - mainly thin Soups, yoghurt and broth with some Protein Shakes. 1 more week for me before soft foods.. looking forward to the next stage!

On 8/31/2021 at 11:15 AM, happilylacey said:

Yeah, that's very interesting! I almost wonder if they want you to lose as much as possible before surgery to show their weight loss rates being higher, but I might be a tad too cynical there 😕

I was told the preop liquid diet is determined by your BMI so if you have a higher BMI the longest diet would be 21 days and if you have a lower BMI then you would only have to do it 1 day prior. And of course those in between would have somewhere in between . It’s not only to lose some weight but also to shrink the liver so that they have better access during surgery.