Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bodies - The exibit - NYC

BODIES...The Exhibition

If you're in the NYC area I strongly recommend seeing this exhibit. I think it's now held over but was suppose to run through Dec.

We went on Sat. I think it was about $26.00. It was soooo cool! It's all real bodies and body parts that have been donated.

There was a lot about the digestive system too. We were looking at a stomach and I was showing my boyfriend exactly where my band is. A woman over heard me who had RNY and was laughing because she said she had been explaining her operation to her mother at one of the other display cases.

They had a stomach lining with ulcers, an enlarged liver and spleen, blocked arteries, a heart of a person that had a heart attack ... made me so glad I am on the loser’s bench now - lol!

<O:pThey even had a cross section of an over weight woman. They split her from head to toe into 4 sections. Front, back, and the middle in 2 parts. It was so weird to see all the fat on her compared to the "normal" size bodies.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I refused to see the exhibit for a long time since I don't do very well around hospitals. I finally gave in with one eye closed, and it's not bad at all if gore bothers you. It's actually so easy-on-the eye that it's hard to believe they were once alive. Very interesting, for sure. None of them were Banded; yes, I checked!

I kept saying that too! What ever they use to preserve them, changes coloring of the muscles & organs and the fake eyes were weird. I kept forgetting they were REAL bodies!

The only part I could see bothering people was the section with babies.

That is a great exhibit. I saw it when it was in Dallas. It is in St. Louis now. It is definitely worth seeing. Makes understanding the anatomy much easier.

I really got the most out of the babies. They looked asleep and made it very easy to explain to our nephew who was with us that God created babies to be perfect from the beginning and hopefully gave him something to think about before he starts making babies before he and his partner are ready. I don't think I would have been able to handle it if these babies were the product of abortion but they all died either in accidents or natural causes.

It is a very powerful exhibit.

I love all that stuff, wish that were on here!

I started physiotherapy when I left school - didnt continue it becuase despite all my fascination with all things biological, the practical side of the job - geriatric incontinent patients - ugh, it wasnt my scene. Where were all the muscly footballers I'd imagined, lol!

But the coolest thing of the 2 years I did was getting my very own cadaver and cutting her up, utterly fascinating and very confronting too - to see a person reduced to nothing more than their physicality really makes you question your spiritual beliefs - or in my case realise that you do have spiritual beliefs! It took me ages to get over the fact that there was nothing in the chest cavity other than organs - I think I actualy expected to see a "soul"!

I saw it in Las Vegas back in January, it was an awesome exhibit. At the time I hadn't even started on my journey to lap band surgery, but I do remember seeing the overweight woman, and thought how much it reminded me of me! This surgery is the best thing I have ever done for my health.

I wanted to see that when it was in Denver and I didn't get around to it. I'm so blue. ;) I hope it comes back some time. It sounds fascinating!

They have it down here like 15 min from me in Ft. Lauderdale. I just don't know if I could go see it. I have no problem with gore. It just doesn't seem right and kind of psycho.;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches