Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TW: Mention of ED
I’m about 4 weeks out from having this gastric sleeve surgery. Right now I am on the soft foods stage. I have one week of it left. When I was on the liquid diet I was craving food watching food videos and just could not wait to eat again. Now suddenly I am disgusted by all foods, and I do mean all foods even my “favorites.” I look in my fridge and most days I’m just like “I would rather not” and I have to force myself to eat but normally halfway through I’m like I can’t do this anymore. Ive also been experiencing a “twisting” feeling in my stomach when eating or drinking which is very discouraging trying to get the food down. I’ve even been doing this thing where I’ll chew something up only to spit it out. I struggled with binge eating disorder pre surgery and got treatment for it & what is making me nervous is that I heard a lot of people with anorexia/bulimia explaining their eating disorders and some of the things I’m experiencing are red flags for anorexia and I’m just afraid of going from one spectrum of eating disorders to the next. Did anyone else have this same repulsion with food? I am currently seeing a therapist and am planning to tell her all of this so I can get the help that I need. Sorry this isn’t so positive but I am just wondering if anyone else experienced this and if they had any advice or if it got better? Thank you!!

The surgery changes things. During the surgery, a lot of the area that signals hunger is removed. After surgery our sense of taste & for many the sense of smell are temporarily altered & some things taste or smell awful. Plus liquids go through our digestive system more quickly & some nerves have been damaged so you don’t really feet that full feelings while on liquids & into the purée stage . Once the nerves heal & you’re eating solid foods you’ll start to feel full again.

I wasn’t hungry or really wanted to eat for ages. I first felt hungry about 8 months after surgery after a busy day when I hadn’t eaten much. But it felt different - actually didn’t know what was wrong at first. Real hunger feels different to hunger that is driven by our head, emotions & habits. To combat not being interested in eating I tried to eat to a routine, still do. I I ate to my plan & to ensure I met my Protein & fluid goals. I didn’t care if I didn’t eat the full portion as long as I was eating something. And honestly, to begin my food choices were pretty narrow because of my altered tastebuds. It did get better & easier after a couple of months. I actually enjoyed this period because it gave me the opportunity to really assess the food I used to eat & decide how I wanted to eat in the future.

Not sure about the twisting feeling. My first thought was it’s your restriction but that’s usually a tightness or heavy weight across your upper chest. Do you want to thump your chest to move the food? Foods that are too dry or coarse can cause that tightness, foamies (gluggy saliva) or make you gag &/or bring it back up. As can eating too quickly or eating too much. Speak to your medical team to be sure.

Did you have a therapist assigned to you during your pre surgery process or did you have one to support you through your eating disorder? Many weight loss patients continue to seek the support of a therapist after surgery. If you didn’t or don’t have a therapist look for one with experience with bariatric patients &/or disordered eating. Your medical team should be able to give you some recommendations.

I lost my sense of hunger for about five months - and I could have given a flip about food. In my case, I saw it as a positive - it was never in my life easier to stick to a program and lose weight than it was when I honestly didn't care about food AT ALL. In some ways, I wish it all had never come back. And btw -- loss of hunger after bariatric surgery is very common - and it usually comes back sometime during the first year.

however, I'm not sure about the twisting sensation. Some of the things Arabesque mentioned may be what's going on - but I'd check in with your medical team on that just in case - if nothing else, for peace of mind.

Edited by catwoman7

I had total food aversion for the first couple months (not just being “un-hungry”, but actually repulsed by the thought of eating something).. It got a little better as time went on…if I remember correctly, i’d say by around month 5 or 6, i was only turned off by food about 1/2 the time. I’m almost 3 years out now and it still happens occasionally (like a couple times a month, i’d guess).

i’ve got used to it, and of course there are days when I’m actually super hungry, so it all evens out in the end.

Edited by ms.sss

I am literally in the same boat aside from the twisting feeling. I have been watching food videos like crazy and at first felt really guilty, but it’s almost like it’s desensitizing me and educating me. I’m starting to see unhealthy aspects of how we eat in America, where I could identify them aside from abstractly. I too lose interest mid-meal. I was so excited to eat soft foods at 3 weeks but what I’ve noticed is it so makes me sick and tastes horrible. I generally only like cheese and even this week, week five, I’m not digging it.

However, my surgeon is very strict, I’m supposed to strive to have one meal a day (though I have two), and he explained the long term goal of eating simply too refuel. Kind of like another Member slide to. Eating on a schedule, recognizing it is energizing and supporting your body…and that’s it. I hated that idea, but am starting to get on board with it. Just use this time to be extra aware of what your body does, how it feels, and build routine. My surgeon has me taking two minutes between each bite where I meditate. Even if you don’t meditate it might be helpful to take that time to identify how your body feels. The twisting feeling could be helped by thinking of that area relaxing, even telling it to relax. Breathing in slowly and exhaling slowly and encouraging your whole gut to release all that fear because I hear the fear in your post (totally normal). I have an extremely (I’m talking crazy) sensitive body. The surgery had unbalanced my body like crazy and it has responded with the symptoms we’re talking about. I have taken to rubbing my belly and kind of treating it like a baby. Recognize the mental upheaval you’re dealing with (which it sounds like you are), and give yourself grace. I found out a lot of stuff on why I have an eating problem the last couple weeks that threw me for a loop. But I had to listen to what was going on. Ok, I don’t feel hungry, why? I’m feeling insecure, why? Be gentle with yourself. They do not emphasize how much this changes your entire existence. Loving yourself goes a long way.

*made a ton of typos in my first post and can’t figure out how to edit 😡

I am literally in the same boat aside from the twisting feeling. I have been watching food videos like crazy and at first felt really guilty, but it’s almost like it’s desensitizing me and educating me. I’m starting to see unhealthy aspects of how we eat in America, before I could identify them but only abstractly. I too lose interest mid-meal. I was so excited to eat soft foods at 3 weeks but what I’ve noticed is it now makes me sick and tastes horrible. I generally only like cheese and even this week, week five, I’m not digging it. 

However, my surgeon is very strict, I’m supposed to strive to have one meal a day (though I have two), and he explained the long term goal of eating is simply to refuel. Not for pleasure. Eating on a schedule, recognizing it is energizing and supporting your body…and that’s it. I hated that idea, but am starting to get on board with it. Just use this time to be extra aware of what your body does, how it feels, and build routine. It is easier off you aren’t hungry, at least for me. I’m trying to take advantage of it.

My surgeon has me taking two minutes between each bite during my meal where I meditate. I thought this was ridiculous at first, but it is amazing! Even if you don’t meditate it might be helpful to take that time to identify how your body feels. The twisting feeling could be tied to your emotions. It may be helped by thinking of that area relaxing, even telling it aloud to relax. Breathing in slowly and exhaling slowly and encouraging your whole gut to release all that fear because I hear the fear in your post (totally normal).

I have an extremely (I’m talking crazy) sensitive body. The surgery has imbalanced my body like crazy and my body has responded with the symptoms we’re talking about. I have taken to rubbing my belly and kind of treating it like a baby. Recognize the mental upheaval you’re dealing with (which it sounds like you are), and give yourself grace. I found out a lot of stuff on why I have an eating problem the last couple weeks that threw me for a loop. I have done my own work too, but things are going to come up and are in a big way. I had to listen to what was going on, not ignore it, or try to overthink it or only focus on the fear and nothing else. Listen to what is wrong. Your body can tell you but expressing emotions. Here are some questions: Ok, I don’t feel hungry, why? I’m feeling insecure, why? What does food mean to me? I found out it meant protection a couple weeks ago. Hard to not eat if you deeply believe food and weight mean protection, right?

Be gentle with yourself. They do not emphasize how much this changes your entire existence. Loving yourself goes a long way.

On 08/31/2021 at 21:54, bluesupef04 said:

I am literally in the same boat aside from the twisting feeling. I have been watching food videos like crazy and at first felt really guilty, but it’s almost like it’s desensitizing me and educating me. I’m starting to see unhealthy aspects of how we eat in America, where I could identify them aside from abstractly. I too lose interest mid-meal. I was so excited to eat soft foods at 3 weeks but what I’ve noticed is it so makes me sick and tastes horrible. I generally only like cheese and even this week, week five, I’m not digging it.

However, my surgeon is very strict, I’m supposed to strive to have one meal a day (though I have two), and he explained the long term goal of eating simply too refuel. Kind of like another Member slide to. Eating on a schedule, recognizing it is energizing and supporting your body…and that’s it. I hated that idea, but am starting to get on board with it. Just use this time to be extra aware of what your body does, how it feels, and build routine. My surgeon has me taking two minutes between each bite where I meditate. Even if you don’t meditate it might be helpful to take that time to identify how your body feels. The twisting feeling could be helped by thinking of that area relaxing, even telling it to relax. Breathing in slowly and exhaling slowly and encouraging your whole gut to release all that fear because I hear the fear in your post (totally normal). I have an extremely (I’m talking crazy) sensitive body. The surgery had unbalanced my body like crazy and it has responded with the symptoms we’re talking about. I have taken to rubbing my belly and kind of treating it like a baby. Recognize the mental upheaval you’re dealing with (which it sounds like you are), and give yourself grace. I found out a lot of stuff on why I have an eating problem the last couple weeks that threw me for a loop. But I had to listen to what was going on. Ok, I don’t feel hungry, why? I’m feeling insecure, why? Be gentle with yourself. They do not emphasize how much this changes your entire existence. Loving yourself goes a long way.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with me! It really helped me out. Best of luck to you too! 🤗

TW: Mention of ED
I’m about 4 weeks out from having this gastric sleeve surgery. Right now I am on the soft foods stage. I have one week of it left. When I was on the liquid diet I was craving food watching food videos and just could not wait to eat again. Now suddenly I am disgusted by all foods, and I do mean all foods even my “favorites.” I look in my fridge and most days I’m just like “I would rather not” and I have to force myself to eat but normally halfway through I’m like I can’t do this anymore. Ive also been experiencing a “twisting” feeling in my stomach when eating or drinking which is very discouraging trying to get the food down. I’ve even been doing this thing where I’ll chew something up only to spit it out. I struggled with binge eating disorder pre surgery and got treatment for it & what is making me nervous is that I heard a lot of people with anorexia/bulimia explaining their eating disorders and some of the things I’m experiencing are red flags for anorexia and I’m just afraid of going from one spectrum of eating disorders to the next. Did anyone else have this same repulsion with food? I am currently seeing a therapist and am planning to tell her all of this so I can get the help that I need. Sorry this isn’t so positive but I am just wondering if anyone else experienced this and if they had any advice or if it got better? Thank you!!
I have the same problem. I used to crave and eat huge bowls of tuna noodle casserole, macaroni and cheese, Pasta, etc. I can barely eat any of these now. I also look in the pantry and say why bother? Then I snack out of boredom, mostly things with crunch like nuts. I'm in a stall. In 13 days I'll be 1 year post op. My highest weight was 350 and have I have lost 135 lbs, bringing me to 215. Trying to get to 180. 35 more pounds to go. But I also want to get the Tummy Tuck surgery and they said that should be about 25 lbs. I'm holding off on that until I have my both of my knees replaced. No cartilage left in either with the arthritis. They won't do those together because of this surgery and risk of infection. So I wait on that and am not sure how much more to lose now. Seeing the surgeon for the tummy tuck this month. He should be able to tell how much it'll bring my weight down. It's one huge, long process. But I'm glad I'm doing it. It's long over due. I need to have a life again and I haven't in over a decade. There's major depression, but I've had that all my life. So I deal. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

Reading about your post-surgery experience from 2 years ago is a reminder of the challenges you faced during that time. Adjusting to a new relationship with food after a gastric sleeve surgery can be quite a journey, and it's commendable that you reached out for support and shared your concerns.
It's heartening to know that you were proactive in seeking help from a therapist. Sharing your feelings and experiences with a professional is a significant step towards healing and finding the right path for your recovery. Remember, recovery is a gradual process, and it's okay to have ups and downs along the way.
Also, if you ever want to explore something new in terms of food experiences, have you considered trying korean corn dogs? It's a unique and delightful option that might bring a fresh perspective to your journey.

Edited by AlexWentworth

I currently am experiencing this. food makes me sick smelling it or tasting something. Everything feels heavy in my stomach. Ive had to avoid meat most times cuz it makes me gag. Been eating Beans and broccoli to get Protein in or tofu. fruit, cheese, and bread has been my lifesaver if I need to get food in that I know wont make me feel heavy as heck.