Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise after surgery

So I'm at day 11 after surgery, I do nightly walks about 2.5-3.5 miles depending on the route. (Including preop diet) im down 32lbs and i feel like my energy levels are high during the day. I'd there any recommendations anyone has to doing more Exercises than just walking?

I’d stick with walking until you talk to your surgeon. You have major internal trauma from surgery and you do not want to hurt yourself trying to do too much, too soon.

for reference, my surgeon said I could swim and ride a bike after four weeks, if I did it at an easy pace. Running, weight lifting, and other strenuous activity had to wait until after six weeks.

I agree with future skydiver that it’s best to wait. It was 8 weeks, I think, before I was given the okay to do anything strenuous.

My surgery date is August 24. I’m nervous as well but so ready to get it done and over with. Best of luck!

how is your pre op diet coming along? I was struggling today.

Edited by KarrinnaP

18 hours ago, SeanTFF89 said:

So I'm at day 11 after surgery, I do nightly walks about 2.5-3.5 miles depending on the route. (Including preop diet) im down 32lbs and i feel like my energy levels are high during the day. I'd there any recommendations anyone has to doing more Exercises than just walking?

I was only allowed to walk until I was about four weeks out - at that point, my surgeon cleared me to do most exercises other than weights. I had to wait eight weeks for those. So until you see your surgeon for a follow-up, I'd just continue walking.

I was told to stick to walking, swimming, that sort of thing (cardio). When I inquired about weights they told me no. That they never give the go ahead on weights until after 3 months. That they want you to concentrate on cardio for now. So, I'm hoping when I speak to them for my appointment this week they'll finally give the go ahead on that.

I would say wait till u are cleared by ur doc to do anything beyond walking.

i was cleared for everything by 1 month post op but didn’t really do more than walking until about month 3. Then i went nuts trying everything until I found something i liked: weights, zumba, tap dancing, salsa, yoga, running, bouldering/rock climbing, swimming.

im 3 years out now and the only thing i do almost daily (and LIKE doing) is running. Will likely go back to doing hot yoga and rock climbing and swimming when i feel more comfortable about these establishments pandemic-wise.

But basically, once cleared, listen to ur body…it will tell you what and how much it wants to do.

Good Luck! ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

I was cleared for weights after 6 weeks. It was probably about 10 weeks post-op that I started with weights - I would have started earlier, but was waiting until I was fully vaccinated before going into a gym (even masked up). I can tell a major difference from the weights - did a bod pod scan when I started it and then again a month ago - so from end of March to mid-July I lost 35 lbs but I gained 6.5 lbs of muscle and lost 17% body fat. Definitely makes a huge difference as my weight loss is slowing to a crawl at this stage - still can see progress when I take measurements.

First 6 weeks I just did walking, and a couple of rides on excercise bike. At 6 weeks I was cleared for weights.
I hate the gym, so I had invested in a treadmill, exercise bike and free weights. I do workouts at home using Apple Fitness+. I’m 11 weeks post-op. I normally do a brisk walk at least 30 minutes everyday (I have a dog, so he appreciates that) and I do a strength training workout at least twice a week (I need to work on increasing that) I’m sure it will change up once the weather is cooler.