Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discomfort when eating or drinking.

I’m so sorry if this has already been asked and answered. I’m new here.

Since day one, liquid, or purée (not on solids yet) no matter how fast or slow, how big the drink or bite is… there is a little bit of discomfort with every swallow. Not in my throat but lower, like between throat and stomach? Or maybe it is stomach, hard to tell. It’s like if I swallowed a giant pill and a bunch of air. (pre op). It’s not bad and this whole time I just assumed it was normal, didn’t even talk to my doc about it, because I didn’t think of it, but now I’m like wait… is this normal? Is this forever? Once in awhile it’s a little bit painful and I have a burp, so I assume that’s gas. But what about the just minor discomfort feeling down there? It lasts one or two seconds, Does everyone have that?

for reverence I had the sleeve and I’ve kept everything down. I’m on week three and haven’t thrown anything up or had any real pain, just this minor discomfort.

thanks!
Sarah

I know you said you are taking small drinks and bites, but this sounds like what happens to me when I take too large of a swallow or bite. Are you sure you are taking small enough drinks/bites? Pinky fingernail sized bites? Chewed at least 20 times?

It does get better though as swelling goes down a bit, there is a little more room.

1 hour ago, FutureSkyDiver said:

I know you said you are taking small drinks and bites, but this sounds like what happens to me when I take too large of a swallow or bite. Are you sure you are taking small enough drinks/bites? Pinky fingernail sized bites? Chewed at least 20 times?

It does get better though as swelling goes down a bit, there is a little more room.

I thought I am but let me try even smaller! I’m not quite at the chewing yet because everything is puréed but if I miss a piece yes I’m very careful to chew well! I’m pretty sure I’ve tried smallest drinks I can, but I get more air when I do tiny drinks. I feel like it hurts more so I take small not tiny drinks. (This is so hard to explain haha)

I’ll do even smaller bites today and let you know! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

sarah

Edited by SarahMae

1 hour ago, SarahMae said:

I thought I am but let me try even smaller! I’m not quite at the chewing yet because everything is puréed but if I miss a piece yes I’m very careful to chew well! I’m pretty sure I’ve tried smallest drinks I can, but I get more air when I do tiny drinks. I feel like it hurts more so I take small not tiny drinks. (This is so hard to explain haha)

I’ll do even smaller bites today and let you know! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

sarah

If you have some 30ml cups (the hospital sent me home with some), try pouring your liquids into that and taking 5-6 sips to drink that much Fluid (TINY sips). If you don't have the 30ml cups from the hospital, you could use one from a liquid medicine or a shot glass.

Okay so you’re right. But I think I am just incapable of taking that little of a sip without air. So that little sip always has air in it, which mean discomfort, or it’s a bit too big so discomfort. BUT a you are also right because since I posted this to now the discomfort is a tad better so safe to assume that with time, it will be even better. Thanks for helping me :)

I’ve had a squeezing feeling since day two. Whether I’m drinking or not. I do notice that it is VERY strong when I should be putting something into my body. Ex. Protein Shake. Once I start sipping on a Protein shake it calms down. Honestly I’ve got nothing else to indicate that I’m hungry. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I definitely have some lingering pressure discomfort when I eat or drink still and I am a bit over 4 months out. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it sounds sort of like what you are referring to. I never had this before, but now when I eat I just have more gas produced and when I start to get full it just feels like I have to burp more. My husband noticed it first that when I am nearing my 'full' I put my hand on my chest and it reminds me to sort of burp the pressure out-not loud burps, just little covert ones. I was really nervous about this at first, but as long as things trend better as you heal, you should be fine!

1 hour ago, OkdenDani said:

I’ve had a squeezing feeling since day two. Whether I’m drinking or not. I do notice that it is VERY strong when I should be putting something into my body. Ex. Protein Shake. Once I start sipping on a Protein shake it calms down. Honestly I’ve got nothing else to indicate that I’m hungry. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I’m not sure I have that! But I’m having a really hard time figuring out when I’m hungry! I never feel hungry just cravings I think.

21 minutes ago, VSGJen said:

I definitely have some lingering pressure discomfort when I eat or drink still and I am a bit over 4 months out. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it sounds sort of like what you are referring to. I never had this before, but now when I eat I just have more gas produced and when I start to get full it just feels like I have to burp more. My husband noticed it first that when I am nearing my 'full' I put my hand on my chest and it reminds me to sort of burp the pressure out-not loud burps, just little covert ones. I was really nervous about this at first, but as long as things trend better as you heal, you should be fine!

Yes exactly!!!! That sounds exactly like it! I’m always putting my hand to my chest when I’m eating too! Even tho I don’t think the pain is there, it’s lower…. But yes I do be burping a lot more and the discomfort is there right before a burp too.

Okay so you’re right. But I think I am just incapable of taking that little of a sip without air. So that little sip always has air in it, which mean discomfort, or it’s a bit too big so discomfort. BUT a you are also right because since I posted this to now the discomfort is a tad better so safe to assume that with time, it will be even better. Thanks for helping me :)

Try keeping your lips closed until you tip the liquid toward your mouth and it creates a seal. This is what my nurse said to do to keep air out. I imagine it looks like you are making a kissing face, then put the cup to your lips and tilt until the liquid covers the seam between your lips. Then open your mouth just a bit for a tiny sip. The liquid should cover the whole opening.

31 minutes ago, FutureSkyDiver said:

Try keeping your lips closed until you tip the liquid toward your mouth and it creates a seal. This is what my nurse said to do to keep air out. I imagine it looks like you are making a kissing face, then put the cup to your lips and tilt until the liquid covers the seam between your lips. Then open your mouth just a bit for a tiny sip. The liquid should cover the whole opening.

Okay I just did, and Yep, worked like a dream. I can’t believe I’m 37 and learning how to sip Water 😂😂😂

I’m not sure I have that! But I’m having a really hard time figuring out when I’m hungry! I never feel hungry just cravings I think.

Well we have one thing in common. I have yet to be HUNGRY. No cravings though.

30 minutes ago, OkdenDani said:

Well we have one thing in common. I have yet to be HUNGRY. No cravings though.

I’m so jealous! I was having extreme cravings as soon as I woke up lol. The first week was torture. They are getting better though lol

It's been 1 week post op and I'm having buyers remorse since I'm in discomfort all the time. Drinking Water is fine and I dont have to take minute sips. But the tummy rumbles when I'm not eating and the tight feeling in the chest as if I've had a huge meal. When does this get better?

Also, it's getting really depressing not being able to eat properly. I thought that for the first few days it'll be uncomfortable and of course it's getting a lot better. But the tightness in the chest wont go away and it's a nuisance. And having like 1 bite and feeling full and having to wait for the feeling to go away until I can have another bite, it's torturous.

I dont want to eat like I did pre-op, but I'm terrified of not being able to enjoy food like I used to. At least half a meal. Does it get better and when usually can you eat like a normal person?