Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hospital stay questions

My surgery (RnY) is in a couple of weeks and I've never stayed in a hospital before so I have some very basic questions about what to expect.

1. They said to bring comfortable clothes for walking around in after the surgery. I think I know what I'll bring but is one set of clothes enough if I'm expecting to stay just overnight? Will I be able to wear a bra? TMI, but my ladies are not appropriate for nor accustomed to being loose in public!
  2. Does it matter what I wear in the morning of the surgery? I assume I'll change into one of those horrible gowns when I get there and then into my comfy clothes later?
  3. Based on past questions and my clinic's instructions, I'm also bringing my phone charger, kindle, chapstick, slip-on shoes, and hairbrush. Am I missing anything super obvious?
  4. How am I supposed to bring all this stuff? Do I just show up with a backpack or something?

I feel like this is so obvious and a silly thing to get anxious about but here I am lol.

There's no such thing as a silly thing to get anxious about.

1. If I'm just staying overnight I'll come in the clothes I want to go home in, but maybe one change of clothes is a good idea. At least bring an extra pair of unders. You could bring a bra (or wear one) and if you're not allowed to, they'll be sure to tell you. (I am not of your biological sex, so this is fairly abstract for me.)

2. No, it doesn't really matter what you wear to the hospital, but afterwards I would assume you'll want loose-fitting stuff.

3. Bring a toothbrush. And make sure your phone charger is long enough.

4. Just bring it in a bag. Even a cloth shopping bag is okay.

I had VSG, no overnight stay. But I just brought a backpack with a few things. I wore comfy/loose PJ/Lounge type top & bottoms.

For surgery, I had to remove everything, I was able to keep on my own underwear thankfully. Bra had to be removed. They gave me a gown, robe, slippers.

A few hours after surgery they let me get dressed. …I pretty much didn’t wear a bra for over a week afterwards unless necessary due to the swelling - it put pressure on my stomach, and was really unbearable. ..and I’m normally always wearing a bra with no issues.

38 minutes ago, cellbell said:

My surgery (RnY) is in a couple of weeks and I've never stayed in a hospital before so I have some very basic questions about what to expect.

1. They said to bring comfortable clothes for walking around in after the surgery. I think I know what I'll bring but is one set of clothes enough if I'm expecting to stay just overnight? Will I be able to wear a bra? TMI, but my ladies are not appropriate for nor accustomed to being loose in public!
  2. Does it matter what I wear in the morning of the surgery? I assume I'll change into one of those horrible gowns when I get there and then into my comfy clothes later?
  3. Based on past questions and my clinic's instructions, I'm also bringing my phone charger, kindle, chapstick, slip-on shoes, and hairbrush. Am I missing anything super obvious?
  4. How am I supposed to bring all this stuff? Do I just show up with a backpack or something?

I feel like this is so obvious and a silly thing to get anxious about but here I am lol.

1. I was there 1 night. I went home in the same clothes i came in (save for a fresh pair of undies.) they gave me two gowns, one opening from back and another one to wear opening at the front like a sweater/cardigan. They also gave me disposable underwear and socks to wear. I did have the bra i wore there but didn’t wear it after surgery because one of my higher incision would have been under the bra band and I didn’t want to rub it. Plus i was hooked up to tubes and stuff so it would have been a hassle to put one on.

2. i just walked the halls in my two supplied gowns and a pair of crocs i brought.

3. Honestly i brought a whole bunch of stuff that didn’t even make it out if the bag. I was sleeping most of the time. If I wasn’t sleeping, i was walking (which in turn made me sleepy, lol). Of the gazillion things I brought, the only things i actually used were: the aforementioned crocs, chapstick and biotene spray (for dry mouth). Oh and i used my phone just once on discharge day to text my husband when to come get me. And i admit, I didn’t even use my toothbrush, yikes! (Dont judge me! Lol)

Oh… also used the small pillow I brought to hug on the ride home. Its handy to squeeze against your tum when going over the inevitable bumps on the road!

4. I brought a gym bag that held everything from home, plus they gave me a clear plastic bag (think garbage bag size) to hold the clothes i was wearing, my jacket, shoes, etc. Hospital staff sent it all up to my room as i went into the OR and it was all there when i was wheeled into the room after the recovery my recovery room stay

…and no its not silly to be anxious/worried…just human.

Good Luck! ❤️

Perfectly fine to ask these questions more so if you’ve never had surgery before.

I stayed a couple of days (back spasmed - existing condition). I too wore the same clothes to & from the hospital. I wore slightly stretch pull on pants, a loose over shirt & flat shoes. When I left I actually liked the gentle supportive pressure of the stretch pants on my incisions but could have folded the waist band down below my incisions if it was uncomfortable. I wore a bra after without issue. The upper central incision was below my bra band but yours may be a little higher. You’ll probably just have to try it & see how you go. Take a loose jacket just in case.

I slept a lot too. I downloaded things to watch or read on my iPad but I couldn’t really concentrate so 5 minutes in I’d give up. I took my own toiletries including shower gel.

Personally, I enjoyed changing from those gaping, flapping hospital gowns into my own pjs - felt so much more comfortable. (On my first ward walk I came upon a man still in his hospital gown. He was standing in the sun & believe me those gowns are extremely transparent & it was all hanging free 😂😂😂)

I’m a bit of a just in case packer so I threw in extra pjs & knickers. Super glad I did because I experienced one of those unexpected, extremely sudden diarrhoea attacks. 😱

I used a small wheelie bag - you can’t carry anything heavy after surgery usually nothing more than about 10lbs. My bag was stored & taken to my room when I got to the surgical waiting room. The clothes I was wearing were put in a named paper bag when I changed into the hospital gown, non slip socks, anti clotting hose & those very sexy disposal knickers & also taken to my room.

Good luck with your surgery.

You're going to sleep a lot so I wouldn't worry about bringing too much stuff. Your phone, charger, maybe an iPad or a book. Whichever is your preference in case you do have brief moments where you're bored. I was awake here and there for an hour or two at a time. But mostly during that time I was sore or stiff from the bed or waiting for my next pain dosage. So I I watch some movies on my phone and sometimes they helped me fall back asleep. But I didn't really do much else.

As for what to wear I just went in with baggy jogging pants and a comfortable t-shirt. I did bring a pair of underwear, socks and another t-shirt but I didn't end up using any of it. They'll have you change into a gown before you go for surgery, put your clothes in a bag or your backpack. They had labels with my information on it they stuck to all my bags to make sure they made it up to my room. Likewise if you have a family member waiting they could always just bring your stuff up to your room after you get out of surgery. Up to you really. I stayed in my gown the entire time I was there. But being a guy I didn't really give a **** what I looked like during my brief laps around the hospital wing. They will make you walk a couple times a day after the first day. I would think a bra is debatable depending how wide the band is. My highest incision is about an inch below my breast but more to the center of my chest. I could see a bra band crossing over that and being painful or uncomfortable. My advice would be not to wear one if you can tolerate it for a couple days. After all its a hospital, you're there because you're trying to get better not win the appropriate dress code competition. I didn't really see anyone there who wasn't in hospital gowns the entire time I was there, unless they were being discharged.

Thanks all! Knowing what to expect really puts me a little more at ease. :)

I wore the clothes I wore home (with fresh undies of course) and stayed in the gown the whole time with a pair of men’s pajama pants underneath (since the hospital gown is open in the back). I had similar concerns about a bra and bright a sports bra with me but between all the tubes and wires they attach to you making it seem like a puzzle and just being tired I honestly didn’t care so I never put it on. Also, one of the incisions is pretty close to where your bra band could rub it. I took a small duffel bag with my phone and iPad (with a ten foot charging cord), extra undies and toiletries. You may want dry Shampoo if your hair gets oily because you won’t be able to shower right away. I was able to go home the next day thankfully because mine is a hot mess if I don’t wash it every day.