Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slowwwww weight loss

I had surgery May 04, 2021. I am 10 weeks out and have not lost a lb in several weeks and am only 26 lbs down total. I started at 216 and I was a very restrictive eater before surgery had been for years. Never ate over 1500 calories a day. Very insulin resistant. Any one else have this type of issue? Did I waste my money even doing this? I just feel defeated at the moment watching everyone else have success.

Stick in there it will come. How much exercise are you doing? I was in a 2 month rut where I lost only 4 lbs and I was 8 months out. I kicked up my exercise and cut my carbs to 50g a day and it started to move again. Remember it’s not a race it’s a marathon. Keep your head ⬆️

At a starting weight of 216lb your weight loss is going to be lower and slower than someone whose starting weight was much higher.

What is your height? Are you exercising? What exercise are you doing? How many calories are you consuming a day now? How much Protein do you eat daily? Carbs? Do you drink alcohol? Do you do a lot of incidental activity? Getting plenty of fluids? All this (and others) factor into your weight loss patterns, we are all different and lose weight differently. If you are able answer these though, I am sure you will get some very helpful suggestions regarding weight loss.

Has your dietician or surgeon made any suggestions for you?

I am 5 foot 2 inches, I am a nurse so I am very active and walk a few miles a week in addition to work. I have just started riding a stationary bike as well. My calories fall around 800 a day with about 70 to 80 grams of Protein. I don't drink alcohol. I was pre diabetic before surgery.

Stalls happen. We do say the first one happens at week three but it can be before week 3 or after. They can last one to three weeks. They do pass & you don’t have to do anything different. Your body just needs a break from all the changes - your body has shut the door & said nope, no more, I’m not moving & am just staying here for a while. You’ll also likely experience a couple of stalls along the way.

We all lose at our own rate. Some fast, some slow. There are many factors at influence that rate: age, gender, starting weight, genetics, weight loss history… You’ve lost 26lbs - that’s great.

Stick to what your doing. You’ll reach your goal.

Yes, I was IR too. Hard time losing weight, etc.

Anyway, I had my surgery May 19th and had the well known stall around 3 weeks out that lasted 12 days. Then I had another one a few weeks later that was lasting over a week until I realized I was NOT getting in the correct amount of Protein a day. I suspected this was the problem and so I corrected it and immediately started losing regularly again and still have been.

So, instead of getting in around 400-600 cals a day and 30-40 grams of protein, I made an effort to get the correct amount of 60-70 grams of protein and also bumped up my cals to around 600-800 a day and that did the trick. Maybe this is your issue too?

I have been super strict getting 80 or more grams of Protein because I knew that was key now wondering if there is too much protein? Is there such thing as too much? I am just getting pretty bummed.

Try cutting carbs down to 30 or less a day and try to kick start you body into ketosis. I hit a wall at a month out and gave that a shot. Not only will it be clean eating but energy levels will rise. All of this was recommended by my nutritionist and doc. Keep your head up. Rome wasn't built in a day!

When my weight loss slow down, my nutritionist actually recommended increasing my calories. It’s possible you are not feeding yourself enough with all the physical activity you are getting.

I have wondered about that. I struggled with restrictive eating before surgery so I think my body has survived on so few calories for so long its immune to it. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I can sooo understand and sympathize with you! I have almost exact issue. I’m 54, 5’1”, insulin resistant, was always on restricted calories and barely lost no matter what I did. I started 2 week pre-op liquid diet at 198 lbs. I lost 5 lbs in two weeks of Optifast 800 calories only. No cheating. So SW was 193 on 5/27 (Bypass). In this past 2 months I have lost 14 lbs. so now 179. I was having 600 cal of pretty much all Protein first month. (70-80) but absolutely no energy! In fact I’d call it fatigue! So no exercise. Nutritionist said for my size I was right on target...nothing wrong. Met w surgeon and he said first month body is whacky and “they don’t actually pay attention to weight loss”. If I I tried upping calories to 700-800 and kept up w that good protein and add some good carbs I should be fine. I have finally gotten some energy back and started walking and bands. But the fact remains...I’ve only lost 14 lbs and trying not to be dejected. I’m soo happy for everyone losing at great rates and having that amazing feeling. I just feel no matter what I do, even having my guts rearranged, I’m doomed. I’ve been scared to get on scale in a week cause it’s so painfully slow and that the surgery may not work on me. This is supposed to be the golden losing period. I worry about after the year is up. Will I be back to same? I keep trying to talk myself off the ledge and just keep chugging and trying my absolute best and think slow and steady wins the race!!! If you’d like to talk more, PM me. Try to be positive and just keep going! Really what choice do we have? Hehe. Thanks for letting me vent.