Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m terrified of getting dumping syndrome I’m really trying to stay under 15g of sugar at a time what about carbs? Also have you guys ever gotten dumping from fruit?

I had sleeve so it’s not really an issue but I’m pretty sure it’s caused by sugar and fat. I also haven’t had a lot of sugar or fat though.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Don't be terrified of dumping.

*IF* you dump (only 30-50% of folks dump at all) you will dump eventually. It's a little scary the first few times because it's new and you don't know what's going to happen next. Once you understand what's happening and what's going to happen it's easier to cope with.

Early on, dumping for me was an educational tool of the "what not to do" variety. The key lesson was "I don't want to do that again" and adjusted my rare off-plan choices accordingly.

I learned that a lot of things affect when I dump. Stress, hunger, fatigue, and sickness make me more likely to dump. What was safe was no longer so. Some medications make dumping more likely or make dumping worse. Again, I used all this as learning experiences.

So, the idea that "I can eat x amount" works until it doesn't.

Most dumping experiences are mild. Sweaty, fatigue and shakes for a few minutes is most common. Certainly not the end of the world.

These days it takes a convergence of stupid things to get me into dumping badly. It's probably been longer than a year, perhaps two, since a honest dumping episode happened last. I'm not exactly sure, I don't mark them on my calendar or anything.

It's akin to stubbing your toe. It hurts in the moment and seems to come from nowhere. But it passes and life goes on.

Living in fear is no way to live.

Good luck,

Tek

I "spontaneously" dumped (at least I think that's what it was) once about 4 weeks after surgery. It's now about 10 weeks after surgery and it's not happened again. I say "spontaneously" because I have no idea what triggered it.

I'd been eating a sugar-free popsicle every day since surgery, it was my daily treat. That morning, I'd had a few blueberries with low-fat low-sugar Greek yoghurt (something I'd eaten successfully before). About 3 hours later, I had my usual popsicle and within about 15 minutes... WOW. Chest pain and pressure, nausea, the sweats, drooling... it was awful. (But no diarrhea.) It went on for about 90 minutes and I was pacing my house, trying to lie down, getting back up, hanging over the toilet, etc, until suddenly -BLEH- the popsicle came back up in one swoop. I immediately felt 100% better! I told my surgeon about the experience when I had a follow-up visit a week later and all he said was that he didn't know why that would have happened. If it ever happens again, my finger is going down my throat and I'm getting it over with quickly.

Anyway, my surgeon's info booklet warns to stay under 5g of sugar to avoid dumping. It doesn't mention carbs or fats.

Edited by GingersnapMI

I had sleeve surgery too but I have experienced two instances of dumping. The first was at about 18 months post surgery & the second about a month later. Weren’t very severe & didn’t last a long time but temperature, clamminess, diarrhoea, … Strange thing was it occurred after eating a sugar free Protein Bar the same one I’d been eating for months before & can still eat now without a problem. Have no idea was really caused the dumping though.

I’ve had that sudden vomit or gagging/chocking thing with lots of saliva. My restriction (that’s the pressure/tightness & discomfort) usually kicks in early & then about an hour later blah! My team said it was because what I ate was too dry & I wasn’t hydrated enough. It’s happened after I ate char grilled meat & vegetables & plain chicken breast without a sauce so it made sense.

Which doesn’t explain why you experienced it after a popsicle. But you’re early out & your tummy is still probably pretty fussy & temperamental. (I described mine as a tantrum throwing 2 year old.) Things you can eat successfully one day you can’t the next. Give your tummy a break from that food for a week or so & then try again.

it's caused by eating too much sugar (and less commonly, fat - some people dump on fat). As Tek said, most sources say about 30% of bypassers dump. It can happen with sleeve, too, but it's much less common. I've never dumped and I know a lot of other people who haven't, either. If you turn out to be a dumper, you can prevent future episodes by avoiding or limiting your sugar intake (most dumpers can eat SOME sugar and not dump - they just can't eat a lot of it in one sitting). If you do dump, you'll find out pretty quickly what triggers it for you...and how much sugar (or fat, in some cases) you can eat without setting it off.

Edited by catwoman7