Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Periods and bleeding

Hello,

Anyone else's menstrual cycle totally messed up after surgery? I've always been very regular, I have one child (he's 2, I'm 34 for reference). I had my period a few days before surgery, then about 4 weeks later I got another as expected although it was very heavy. About 2 weeks after that I began bleeding again, it was like a light period for a few days and then I've just been bleeding lightly on an and off since then. I mostly see it when I pee and wipe, but sometimes there is breakthrough bleeding as well (it's mostly darker in color). Now I'm due for what should be a regular period but I can't even tell if it's coming because I'm still having irregular bleeding. I am on the mini pill for birth control.

I did speak to my surgeon's office and he suggested the hormones in my birth control may not be enough now but he generally didn't seem super knowledgeable on the issue. I do have an OBGYN appointment scheduled soon for my annual so I'll talk to them as well. I understand you cannot provide medical advice but I'm just curious if others have experienced this after surgery? If so how long did it last for you? I would love to get back to my normal cycle and not this BS.

Thanks!

Yeah my periods have pretty much been normal for a decade since going on Metformin for PCOS and IR (was taken off BC pills decades earlier due to high BP). Anyway, the day before surgery I got my period and it was light for a few days (3) then heavy for a few (like 2) then disappeared. Normally my period would come about every 29-34 days. It would be heavy the first two days then end around day 4 or 5.

My surgeon told me at the hospital after surgery that it would most likely come on time again in 4 weeks but may be different than I'm used to. He also said I may need to worry about birth control if I hadn't already been on it, but lucky for me my husband has been fixed so no worries with that. LOL

Anyway, when it came roughly 30 days after surgery I was not surprised. It was a lil heavier than I was used to but it seemed to end after 3 days! I was shocked and excited about that. However, it was short lived. By day 5 it came back. Not a full fledged period, but enough to be there when I would pee and wipe but not enough to show on a pad, really. That lasted for like 5 more days. Really weird but not too unexpected based on what the surgeon said. He also said my next several periods may be unusual compared to how they were in the past as my body and hormones adjust. I'm sure you're going through the same thing.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

it's very common. The reason oft stated is that estrogen is stored in fat cells, and a bunch of it is released during rapid weight loss. A lot of women post about mood swings and screwed-up cycles the first few weeks or months after surgery. It does eventually settle down and stabilize again.

So I don't normally get periods due to my birth control. However, when losing weight I will spot on and off. As catwoman mentioned, it's totally normal due to estrogen being released. It's happened to me even prior to surgery when I lost a significant amount of weight through dieting. It's always eventually stabilized and gone back to zero period (since that's my norm). If you are concerned though, giving your doctor a ring is never a bad idea :)

I had my heavy period a week before surgery. Then again three days post op. It was a full heavy period, which surprised me. However, I hope it'll regulate in a few months. When I lose weight I expect to be a little off. Plus with a major surgery, it will take time to balance out.

My period got lighter after surgery and comes a few days earlier each month now. Surgery changes all the hormone levels in your body as well as the absorption of medications. Your birth control dosage may need to be adjusted because of these factors.

Yep, as others have said totally normal. I have an iud and prior to surgery I never had a period. It came back sporadically during weight loss initially- seems to be leveling off and hopefully going away again.

Just another one of the joys of womanhood I guess.

I started my period 2-3 days post-op. I am now two weeks post-op and it will not end. It is one of the heaviest flows I’ve had and simply will just not end. It stops for a day here and there, abruptly (no tapering off) and completely, and comes back within a day or two at full force. It’s to the point I’m going to have to go in and nature sure things are ok. My poor body feels like it is gone through the ringer with this and other complications 😤😤

I had weird off schedule bleeding too. Five months out now ans it’s back to normal.