Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys!

I'm scheduled for VSG on June 28th. What was the average everyone was out of work? I work in a very active healthcare clinic. I know of the 4 week weight restriction of 10 pounds, but that can just been job modifications.

I think some people go back to work after one week and are fine. I'm planning to take off two weeks, even though I work from home (I do travel sometimes and I won't be able to travel for a month due to lifting restrictions). I have heard a lot of people say they need naps during the day and some people are in a bit of a fog. I've never had surgery before and don't know how I'll react to the anesthesia. Plus, you will need to take a lot of breaks to drink and for the first two weeks you will probably just be on liquids, so depending on your work environment, that could be hard (nurses often have restrictions about carrying Water with them I'm told).

I've never had surgery either so I share that concern as well. Along with history of blood clots on my maternal side. Where I work we are restricted to no drinks/food at our desk, so that worries me as well. I can only get paid if I use my short term disability and I have to be out for more than 14 days before it kicks in. So I spoke with my provider and they are going to do 4 weeks for me, also due to can't guarantee lifting at work. So hopefully that will help.

I took off two weeks, but I would have been fine with one. I have a desk job though so for a clinic position I’d do two at least.

3 minutes ago, Vavy22 said:

I've never had surgery either so I share that concern as well. Along with history of blood clots on my maternal side. Where I work we are restricted to no drinks/food at our desk, so that worries me as well. I can only get paid if I use my short term disability and I have to be out for more than 14 days before it kicks in. So I spoke with my provider and they are going to do 4 weeks for me, also due to can't guarantee lifting at work. So hopefully that will help.

You should be able to get ADA accomodations to have food/drinks at your desk (at least drinks) because it's really important that you not get dehydrated and you will not be able to "chug" water/fluids after surgery so you will need to sip all the time.

I took 4 weeks only because I have plenty of sick time that I never use. I would have been fine after two weeks, but it was nice having the extra time to get into the rhythm with Vitamins, Protein, Water. I’m going to miss my naps when I return to work next week.

I’m a nurse in a busy clinic. I took 3 weeks off. Fortunately we don’t have the drinking at work rules! I was able to keep my Water jug at my desk. I agree you should be able to get a medical accommodation.

I took two weeks off and that was about right for me. I work a desk job from home, so it was easier. Actual mileage may vary.