Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dessert options post-bariatric?

Hello all,

This will probably be a bit of an odd post. But my best friend had bariatric surgery a few months ago, and they’re 4 month post op now. Their birthday is coming up, and obviously they can’t have your traditional cake and stuff (still can’t have carbs or sugars). However, I still want to make them something for their special day.

Does anyone have recommendations or a recipe for a dessert type of treat that is carb free, sugar free, etc that would comply with what they can eat?

Thank you.

4 months out, I had limited amounts of dessert items and still do....but they are foods I watch very carefully. The piece of cake I can eat on my birthday is a LOT smaller now...lol....but I still like to eat cake on special occasions.

If you're looking for something healthy that might work...it's a great time of the year for strawberries mashed with splenda over angel food cake (you can even find sugar free angel food sometimes). A little sugar free cool whip, and that's not a bad treat.

I'm also a big fan of chocolate Yasso Bars.

Chia pudding is a good go to. As is fruit salad & yoghurt, cool whip or low fat mascarpone.

I like some of these ideas, but my friend is super strict about apparently following what their doctors said to the letter. They say they can’t have absolutely any sort of carb from like bread, flour, oats, etc until the 6 month mark or whenever they get the ok apparently from the doctor, and I haven’t been able to convince them at all otherwise (as delicious as some of these look).

I guess I can go with fruit or pudding or something, but that just seems so basic. Any other ideas at all?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, xezar said:

I like some of these ideas, but my friend is super strict about apparently following what their doctors said to the letter. They say they can’t have absolutely any sort of carb from like bread, flour, oats, etc until the 6 month mark or whenever they get the ok apparently from the doctor, and I haven’t been able to convince them at all otherwise (as delicious as some of these look).

I guess I can go with fruit or pudding or something, but that just seems so basic. Any other ideas at all?

Thanks!

if they're that serious about sticking to their plan (and I was as well), fruit or pudding isn't going to seem too basic. They will probably appreciate your willingness to make something that aligns with their food plan. I never touched anything like cake during my first year post-surgery.

Another idea is to do something non-food related.

Do you know how many lbs your friend has lost? Could get crafty with it! Maybe a beaded necklace with 1 bead for every lb lost, and then extra beads in a box for your friend to add to their necklace as they continue to lose weight? I'm sure there are lots of cool things you could make to represent their journey!

On 06/20/2021 at 10:16, ChubRub said:

Another idea is to do something non-food related.

Do you know how many lbs your friend has lost? Could get crafty with it! Maybe a beaded necklace with 1 bead for every lb lost, and then extra beads in a box for your friend to add to their necklace as they continue to lose weight? I'm sure there are lots of cool things you could make to represent their journey!

I agree with this! I had for so long seen food as a reward. As part of my learning process I’ve come to use other things as rewards, celebrations, etc. A crafty thing is a great idea, or take her out for an experience such as pedicures, a massage, or if she’s to the point of incorporating physical activity a
hike, kayaking trip, or bike ride.

If you do want to make a dessert though, I just happened on this recipe on the Skinny Taste website. Several comments mention substituting stevia or swerve for the sugar and it turning out great.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/5-ingredient-almond-cake-with-fresh/?fbclid=IwAR07otMXa9Sm-sZNcjW9zvbY-QChfy2ry2AzKFyk_MZpvdusVrRRj5Hf0RQ

Yeah I know food isn’t meant to be like a reward, but at the same time I wanted to give them something “normal” for their birthday they wouldn’t have thought they could have otherwise. Already got them some other gifts and such.

That being said, the almond cake recipe looks like it would be a perfect fit subbing in Splenda or something. Double checked and almond flour should be ok since it’s a nut based one. Thanks!

22 hours ago, xezar said:

I hardly ever eat cakes, desserts, etc. anymore (only a couple of times a year like at Christmas). I get my sweet from fruit, vanilla extract & the dash of honey I add to my rolled oats. If a friend made a bowl of fruit salad & say added a sparkler for my birthday I’d be happy & very touched that they considered my preferences.

Remember too she’s only going to be able to eat a couple of bites.

Your friend’s diet does seem very restrictive for carbs. I was allowed rolled oats from week three. Small amounts of other whole & multi grains are usually ok too as you progress. They’re very helpful with energy levels & easing the Constipation. Definitely no processed carbs like bread, rice, Pasta (which I still don’t eat). But there are many different plans out there & I admire your friend for sticking to hers.

On 6/20/2021 at 1:55 PM, xezar said:

Thanks!

Given your friend is very strict, are you sure they would be receptive to a dessert type of gift? They may perceive this to be a sabotage attempt.

Perhaps consider what they would like or prefer over your preference to provide a dessert.

If you want to make something, maybe consider something you could make, like a scarf, a photo frame, etc etc

3 hours ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Given your friend is very strict, are you sure they would be receptive to a dessert type of gift? They may perceive this to be a sabotage attempt.

Perhaps consider what they would like or prefer over your preference to provide a dessert.

If you want to make something, maybe consider something you could make, like a scarf, a photo frame, etc etc

I agree with this. I was super strict that first year post-op, and although I would have appreciated the thought, I would NOT have wanted a food gift and wouldn't have eaten it (unless, of course, it was something on my plan..)

On 6/21/2021 at 8:25 AM, catwoman7 said:

I agree with this. I was super strict that first year post-op, and although I would have appreciated the thought, I would NOT have wanted a food gift and wouldn't have eaten it (unless, of course, it was something on my plan..)

Me Too.

@xezar: During weight loss phase people would always offer me food and stuff that I didn’t want to eat and it became a bit if a chore/annoyance to politely and repeatedly decline.

If a dear friend made me a cake for my bday I would’ve felt inclined to eat it (even if I didn’t want to). Luckily my bday did not fall within my weight loss phase window, lol

Like someone mentioned above, maybe ask your friend if they would like a dessert from you (and if so what kind), and then go from there.

Although from this quote below from your post, sounds like your friend already gave you their answer. Its kind of you to want your friend to feel “normal”, but perhaps they are looking for a different kind of normal…and you probably don’t need “to convince them otherwise”.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:55 PM, xezar said:

They say they can’t have absolutely any sort of carb from like bread, flour, oats, etc until the 6 month mark or whenever they get the ok apparently from the doctor, and I haven’t been able to convince them at all otherwise (as delicious as some of these look). 

Edited by ms.sss