Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded and no restrictions

I got banded on 11/15 and everything went fine. But now I can eat anything. Now dont worry, I know I have to watch what I eat but it seems so weird. I try to follow Drs orders but every now and then, I cheat. I had a piece of fried chicken one day. (guilt trip) HOwever, I am living for the first fill (probably the first week in January. I have lost 39 pounds since start. I still am happy that I did it. I am walking on the threadmill now and will start strenghth training next week with a trainer. This has been a trip but it is one trip that I am glad I took. Thank all of you for your info it really helps.

I got banded on 11/15 and everything went fine. But now I can eat anything. Now dont worry, I know I have to watch what I eat but it seems so weird. I try to follow Drs orders but every now and then, I cheat. I had a piece of fried chicken one day. (guilt trip) HOwever, I am living for the first fill (probably the first week in January. I have lost 39 pounds since start. I still am happy that I did it. I am walking on the threadmill now and will start strenghth training next week with a trainer. This has been a trip but it is one trip that I am glad I took. Thank all of you for your info it really helps.

You lose some restriction once you have healed and the swelling goes down - this is what is refered to as banders hell - waiting for a fill

I had to wait about 6 weeks before my 1st fill - it was good for about the 1st week and a half - then loosen up - called and went back 10/24 and now i am at my sweet spot - a piece of fried chicken isn't cheating - it might not be the healthiest food choice - grilled vs fried - but you aren't doing it every day so don't fret...

39 lbs thatin less than a month or did that include your pre-op weight loss too...

You are doing all the right things - eating healthy 99% of the time and exercise - you will suceed...

i was banded on nov 1 2007 and in the 1st week i lost 17lbs!!!!! i was amazed...but not too long after i realized i wasnt really restricted and i had no side effects to anything i ate which concerned me because i thought uh oh this isnt going to work, but thanks to this forum, it gave me the info i was looking for...i now know that i am not really restricted right now. i will be after my first fill and thats when the fat will melt off..... i cannot wait for that day!!!!!!! take care chiqui

From what I understand from this board and other readings, we may not be restricted after the first fill, either. It can take several fills. I've been fortunate that I haven't been hungry between meals -- nothing like what I used to be. I don't know if it's restriction or the high Protein diet but I'm glad!

wow i must not be the norm than cuz i do have restriction i had my surgery oct 10th im sort of scared for my first fill which is this tuesdsay dec 11th 8 wweeks after surgery im afraid i m gonna have too much restriction then what is the normal amount that you usually get from your first fill does anyone no I MIGHT NEED LESS THEN THE NORM IF I ALREADY HAVE SOME RESTRICTION IM VERY NERVOUS ABOUT IT!

I was banded on 11/22/07 and I am eating with no problems. I am not on mushy anymore I eat chicken breast cutup and raisins, and sushi, and still some Soups I am only noticing a small bit of lesser hunger, I had a 5cc fill with saline at the time of surgery, I was banded in Tijuana with the French Band Mid Band, and it was not stitched to my stomach , so I healed mush faster then some, still I can go back for a fill until the end of January and I am hungry still, even with a small fill. I hope it will get better; I lost 18 lbs the first week and a half and have not lost any other weight.

Stacey

wow i must not be the norm than cuz i do have restriction i had my surgery oct 10th im sort of scared for my first fill which is this tuesdsay dec 11th 8 wweeks after surgery im afraid i m gonna have too much restriction then what is the normal amount that you usually get from your first fill does anyone no I MIGHT NEED LESS THEN THE NORM IF I ALREADY HAVE SOME RESTRICTION IM VERY NERVOUS ABOUT IT!

Jamie - you are ok - My doc says that some people don't need a fill right away - that the band in place is enought restriction for them - there was a lady at one of my support groups who was banded 4 months and never had a fill - it does happen :biggrin1: Tell your doc when you go in on the 11th - you may not even need a fill - if you don't you don't have to have one... Good Luck..

I was banded on 11/22/07 and I am eating with no problems. I am not on mushy anymore I eat chicken breast cutup and raisins, and sushi, and still some Soups I am only noticing a small bit of lesser hunger, I had a 5cc fill with saline at the time of surgery, I was banded in Tijuana with the French Band Mid Band, and it was not stitched to my stomach , so I healed mush faster then some, still I can go back for a fill until the end of January and I am hungry still, even with a small fill. I hope it will get better; I lost 18 lbs the first week and a half and have not lost any other weight. Stacey

Stacy - I don't know anything about the french band - most of us who were banded from July on have the New AP band and for us it's stiched to our stomach (sort of) to keep it in place. You lost alot the first week and your body is adjusting. The band does not take away all your hunger imho - it helps but so much of what we consider hunger is really head hunger. I will eat feel full but still want to eat - Make healthy food choices and exercise when you are alllowed - You will do good

Missy, you are doing great. It is really good you are starting to exercise. Just make sure you keep going back for fills until you reach your sweet spot. You will know when that is. Good luck.

I'm so glad to have found this thread. I was banded on November 19th and lost 13 pound the first week! But since then...nothing! It's been four weeks to the day and I've lost one additional pound! I'm so discouraged! I'm eating the right things, though I don't feel any restriction. And I have to admit I'm not exercising yet but the vast reduction in calories alone would make me think I should have lost some more by now!

Is this normal??

Susan

I'm so glad to have found this thread. I was banded on November 19th and lost 13 pound the first week! But since then...nothing! It's been four weeks to the day and I've lost one additional pound! I'm so discouraged! I'm eating the right things, though I don't feel any restriction. And I have to admit I'm not exercising yet but the vast reduction in calories alone would make me think I should have lost some more by now!

Is this normal??

Susan

Susan - I think i lost 9 lbs the 1st week and have lost a little every week - some weeks just 1/2 lbs but so far have lost every week - What are you eating - are you counting calories or logging your food on fitday or sparks - sometime we under estimate the number of calories we are eating or it even could be you aren't eating enough - I started exercising after my 1st post op visit about 2 weeks after surgery (treadmill walking) I know that for me if I didn't exercise I would not be losing weight. Give me a typical days food intake.. Janet

Susan, how is your calorie intake. Are you sticking to 800-1k a day? A fill will definitely help. It took me 6 months to finally get the proper restriction so just keep going back until you have yours. Good luck.

this is a great thread. I was banded on 11/29 and lost 14 lbs the first week. But now I find that I can eat much more than 1/2 cup of food, drink my Protein Shake through a straw, and gulp liquid without any problem. Am I hurting my band or is it ok to eat like this until my fill date?

cmeyer