Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 years post-vsg and complications!

My 5 year surgery date is September 2021. I had an unremarkable recovery from my sleeve surgery. I lost 110 pounds but have put about 15 back on (or had... I have lost 9 of those). The biggest "issue" I had post-surgery was either hiccuping or sneezing when I was full. About a year ago, I started having acid issues. They've progressed to the point of significant GERD. I had been taking a PPI but it stopped working at all... seriously, I wake up at night coughing and gagging because there is stomach acid pretty much in my back teeth! Anyhow, for the last year I've been taking the PPI until it stops working, go off of it for about a month, take it again and it helps a bit but then stops working... wash, rinse, repeat. Four or five months ago I started having horrible pain with eating on occasion and would sometimes throw up. The vomiting has become almost a daily occurrence although not with every meal, and with no predictability. SO I called my surgeon, she listened to my complaints, and sent me for an upper GI swallow. The films show that I have a hiatal hernia and a narrowing of my esophagus. They could tell this because the 12mm barium coated sizing-pill that they had me swallow, to track it through my system, wouldn't go through the esophageal opening into my stomach. There is also narrowing of the pylorus, at the bottom of my pouch, but they can't tell how narrow because the stupid sizing pill was stuck in my esophagus! When I talked to my surgeon after she saw the films, she had me scheduled for an endoscopy (on 6/18) and surgery (on 6/22) to put my pouch back where it belongs, close the enlarged opening in my diaphragm, and to open up my esophagus. She also said- rather offhand- that depending on what she sees in the endoscopy/surgery that I might need a revision. I believe this was in referral to the pyloric narrowing, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure I really know what a revision is. My surgeon is a leader in robotic bariatric surgery, but she's not much for communication and "bedside manner." Anyhow... I don't know what to expect from all of this, what post-op requirements would be, etc. Surgeon scheduled the surgery as she said it clearly needs to be done, just wants the endoscopy done so there are "no surprises" once she gets in there. She also said to expect to be in the hospital for a couple of nights. I really don't know what to expect and have called her office for clarification but so far, no response. I guess I am sharing here to see if anyone has had anything like this happen this far out from surgery, has any advice or guesses, experience with this to share, etc.

by revision, I bet she met gastric bypass (RNY). About 30% of sleevers develop GERD, and a minority of those get it bad enough that they revise to bypass (bypass often improves if not cures GERD). Although if it's mostly due to the hiatal hernia, she may be able to fix that when she gets in there.

by revision, I bet she met gastric bypass (RNY). About 30% of sleevers develop GERD, and a minority of those get it bad enough that they revise to bypass (bypass often improves if not cures GERD). Although if it's mostly due to the hiatal hernia, she may be able to fix that when she gets in there.

I'm going through this right now just have to do my cardiac clearance to be eligible for the RNY but it's a medical reason so I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get this done. I had the nuclear stomach empty and test the barium swallow two endoscopies, two mandatories, My esophagus has precancerous cells on it from the acid going through a regurgitate my food every night. They're not going to do anything with my esophagus right now but they were talking about having to possibly cut it and reattach it to my stomach But they're going to hold off on that and just keep an eye on it and have one or two endoscopies a year, I'm going to get my hiatal hernia fixed and be very brought out with a roux n y from the sleeve I had severe gerd I have Barrett's esophagus, So if you have acid reflux do not get the gastric sleeve.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Forgot to note that I was sleeved in 2013

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app