Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Artificial sweeteners

I had surgery 3/3 and surgery again 3/12. I had a rough start couldn’t eat or drink for 6 weeks in and out the hospital nothing tasted good. I’ve been a diabetic for 4 years so artificial sweeteners were my go to, but after surgery they caused distress. Today marks 12 weeks 3 months post surgery and two days ago I tried Chick-fila unsweet tea and diet lemonade and........ no distress from the artificial sweetener! I don’t know if it’s just the Splenda I can have or if my body was still working itself out in the beginning. I’m very happy so I thought I’d share this. I love Water, but it was nice to have something different.

That's great! There are a lot of artificial sweeteners. Malitol or xytlitol are the most likely (I believe) to cause GI upset, but it's different for different people. I would try a few when you are safely at home and near a bathroom and see how you react. Become an ingredient obsessive detective. I know that I don't get sick from stevia, but it doesn't taste sweet to me when it's the only sweetener used; it sort of tastes metallic and flat. I love me some splenda tho!

Edited by lizonaplane

I was also a diabetic (14 yrs.) prior to surgery. I never had a problem with any artificial sweeteners. Now post surgery I am having a big problem. I can't eat anything with Maltitol in it. Whatever is in Crystal Lite also is bothersome. I wonder if being a prior diabetic has anything to do with it.

2 hours ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I was also a diabetic (14 yrs.) prior to surgery. I never had a problem with any artificial sweeteners. Now post surgery I am having a big problem. I can't eat anything with Maltitol in it. Whatever is in Crystal Lite also is bothersome. I wonder if being a prior diabetic has anything to do with it.

When was your surgery? I have this same issue with sugar free drinks and crystal light. I tried Chick-fila unsweetened tea and diet lemonade 3 days ago it went well. They use Splenda

Edited by Chantrella

On 6/3/2021 at 6:13 PM, Chantrella said:

When was your surgery? I have this same issue with sugar free drinks and crystal light. I tried Chick-fila unsweetened tea and diet lemonade 3 days ago it went well. They use Splenda

Last August. Good to know about Chick Fila. I went there today for the 1st time since before surgery, and didn't get a drink because I was scared it would bother my belly.

I am 10 days post and I am unable to tolerate anything sweet the Protein Shakes, sf Jell-O, sf pudding anything with artificial sweeteners. I had blended sreamed sweet potatoes with blended unsweetened peaches and it went really good. Drink lemon Water. Going to try unsweetened Protein Powder in Soup so I can reach goal. Might also try adding skim milk to shake or make my own.

Sent from LadySunshyne using BariatricPal mobile app

On 6/3/2021 at 7:15 AM, Chantrella said:

I had surgery 3/3 and surgery again 3/12. I had a rough start couldn’t eat or drink for 6 weeks in and out the hospital nothing tasted good. I’ve been a diabetic for 4 years so artificial sweeteners were my go to, but after surgery they caused distress. Today marks 12 weeks 3 months post surgery and two days ago I tried Chick-fila unsweet tea and diet lemonade and........ no distress from the artificial sweetener! I don’t know if it’s just the Splenda I can have or if my body was still working itself out in the beginning. I’m very happy so I thought I’d share this. I love Water, but it was nice to have something different.

I'm still pre-op, but my body has said a big "NO" to artificial sweeteners except Splenda and Aspartame. I've tried them all from stevia, to maltitol to xylitol to all disasters ends.

Things may change after my surgery, but for now I'm only buying things sweetened with Splenda. This is difficult, but I've found propel Water flavors and torlani sugar free syrups for waters and coffee.