Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I am almost three months out and I have hit the dreaded plateau for two weeks now without any weight loss. I am told by my NUT to stick with the program, but I really feel bored with my diet. for Breakfast, when I don't wat eggs, I eat feta and gouda cheese or low fat greek yogurt, but I read somewhere that these go down quickly and may not be considered "solid food" as such, and cause one to get hungry much sooner. For lunch and dinner I eat a small piece of chicken and grilled veggies. I don't have fruits. I try to get as much Water in between as I can.

I also feel hungry just an hour or two after the meal. Any of you experience the same?

Do you snack or only do three meals a day?

I exercise at least three days a week.

I am also curious to learn your diets. For instance, how did you break the plateau? do you eat lentil and fava Beans (I love both!), fruits, seeds, and if so when did you introduce them after surgery.

Many thanks.

Edited by 171MaxH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plateaus are a normal part of weight loss. I just stuck to my program, stayed off the scale for a few days, and my weight loss would eventually start back up. Plateaus usually last 1-3 weeks.

re: Greek yogurt. I've had that almost every day for Breakfast for the last six years - that's been my usual breakfast since soon after I had surgery in 2015. A denser Protein does tend to keep you satisfied longer, but there's definitely nothing wrong with eating Greek yogurt!

and yes - I usually have a morning snack and an afternoon snack - I just make sure to work the calories in to my meal plan for the day.

I eat all the stuff you mentioned - Beans, seeds, fruit. I can't remember when I added them - but probably around where you are now. Check with your clinic and see if it's OK to start adding them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

plateaus are a normal part of weight loss. I just stuck to my program, stayed off the scale for a few days, and my weight loss would eventually start back up. Plateaus usually last 1-3 weeks.

re: Greek yogurt. I've had that almost every day for Breakfast for the last six years - that's been my usual breakfast since soon after I had surgery in 2015. A denser Protein does tend to keep you satisfied longer, but there's definitely nothing wrong with eating Greek yogurt!

and yes - I usually have a morning snack and an afternoon snack - I just make sure to work the calories in to my meal plan for the day.

I eat all the stuff you mentioned - Beans, seeds, fruit. I can't remember when I added them - but probably around where you are now. Check with your clinic and see if it's OK to start adding them.

Thanks much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started Beans about 6-8 weeks out. I made them in my crockpot so I could season them to taste and add any meats that I wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maisey said:

I started Beans about 6-8 weeks out. I made them in my crockpot so I could season them to taste and add any meats that I wanted.

cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I eat 5-6 times a day. I write down everything I eat. I only eat things that have Protein in them. If I eat fruit, I pair it with nuts. Keep sticking with the plan and it will work. Everyone plateaus at some point, I did a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I eat 5-6 times a day. I write down everything I eat. I only eat things that have Protein in them. If I eat fruit, I pair it with nuts. Keep sticking with the plan and it will work. Everyone plateaus at some point, I did a few times.

May I ask what kinds of fruits and nuts do you usually eat? Also, do you feel that you can eat larger and larger amounts? I can feel this and I am still only 3 months out, so I wonder if my pouch has already screeched. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 171MaxH said:

May I ask what kinds of fruits and nuts do you usually eat? Also, do you feel that you can eat larger and larger amounts? I can feel this and I am still only 3 months out, so I wonder if my pouch has already screeched. Thanks!

I am 9 months out and didn't start eating fruit until 6 months.

When I do, I eat strawberries and blackberries. I cut them up and put them in a bowl. I crush up some raw, unsalted walnuts, and mix it all together with a little bit of lite cool whip. So I am getting my fruit intake but making it also be Protein because of the added walnuts.

I will take a pear and peel the skin off (I can't tolerate the skin) then I cut it up into small pieces, mix it with some raw, unsalted crushed almonds, and put a little bit of honey on it. Sometimes I put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds. It is so delish.

If I eat any nuts at all they are always raw, and unsalted. When I started I counted out 12 as a portion size. Now I count out 20.

I still can't eat that much because I get too full quickly. Just use Portion Control and you will be fine. I use a scale and measure everything I eat.

I am looking forward to eating some peaches and nectarines. The summer is almost here (I live in NH) so better fruits are becoming available. I just have to figure out what I can pair them up with for protein.

I recently started enjoying watermelon with feta cheese (I am part Greek) and love feta. I only eat a small amt. due to the salt, and fat content.

I try to pick one fruit a day for a snack. I plan ahead of what I will eat for the entire day. Like today I had an apple with Peanut Butter for a snack. Sometimes I eat an apple and have some walnuts or almonds on the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I am 9 months out and didn't start eating fruit until 6 months.

When I do, I eat strawberries and blackberries. I cut them up and put them in a bowl. I crush up some raw, unsalted walnuts, and mix it all together with a little bit of lite cool whip. So I am getting my fruit intake but making it also be Protein because of the added walnuts.

I will take a pear and peel the skin off (I can't tolerate the skin) then I cut it up into small pieces, mix it with some raw, unsalted crushed almonds, and put a little bit of honey on it. Sometimes I put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds. It is so delish.

If I eat any nuts at all they are always raw, and unsalted. When I started I counted out 12 as a portion size. Now I count out 20.

I still can't eat that much because I get too full quickly. Just use Portion Control and you will be fine. I use a scale and measure everything I eat.

I am looking forward to eating some peaches and nectarines. The summer is almost here (I live in NH) so better fruits are becoming available. I just have to figure out what I can pair them up with for Protein.

I recently started enjoying watermelon with feta cheese (I am part Greek) and love feta. I only eat a small amt. due to the salt, and fat content.

I try to pick one fruit a day for a snack. I plan ahead of what I will eat for the entire day. Like today I had an apple with Peanut Butter for a snack. Sometimes I eat an apple and have some walnuts or almonds on the side.

Many thanks for the useful information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you progress you will be able to eat more. And don’t worry, you won’t have stretched your tummy. It takes a lot of concentrated effort of eating large portions & over a long period of time to stretch your tummy. If you eat until you have had enough or until your restriction kicks in you’re fine.

As you’re male & taller, you’re dietary requirements will be a different from mine. Plus I’m in maintenance. I do snack several times a day but when I was losing I snacked on yoghurt or cheese initially then added fruit. I alternated eggs with rolled oats for breakfast. I love rolled oats. Lots of fibre, a good carb, & if you make it on milk you boost the Protein content. You could even add Protein Powder as well though I didn’t. I eat it with blueberries now - yum. I try to ensure everything I eat is of nutritional benefit to me & not empty calories. I eat multi/whole grains twice a day, fruit twice a day, vegetables 2 or three times, dairy 2 or 3 times, meat &/or seafood twice a day to reach 50-60g protein & eat <30g of fats (salad dressings are my weakness). Some serves are the recommended serving size but others are less it just depends.

Some people find they have no issues eating a wide range of foods but others discover their tummies just don’t tolerate certain things. I can’t do char grilled meats or vegetables, mashed potatoes, oily fish, fatty meats, breads, rice or Pasta. Some fruits make my restriction kick in early (like mango & apple skin 🙁). I don’t do Beans often because they give me terrible wind. Lentils are fine & I’m going to try some barley soon. I can eat lots of lettuce - it’s a slider food for me so my salad lunches are huge 😁. It’s a bit of trial & error to work out what you can tolerate especially in the first few months. Don’t give up though, you may be fine with something a few months on. Check with your dietician if you are unsure. Plus they should be able to give you a list of foods you could eat &/or a template diet plan to work from.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arabesque said:

As you progress you will be able to eat more. And don’t worry, you won’t have stretched your tummy. It takes a lot of concentrated effort of eating large portions & over a long period of time to stretch your tummy. If you eat until you have had enough or until your restriction kicks in you’re fine.

As you’re male & taller, you’re dietary requirements will be a different from mine. Plus I’m in maintenance. I do snack several times a day but when I was losing I snacked on yoghurt or cheese initially then added fruit. I alternated eggs with rolled oats for Breakfast. I love rolled oats. Lots of fibre, a good carb, & if you make it on milk you boost the Protein content. You could even add Protein Powder as well though I didn’t. I eat it with blueberries now - yum. I try to ensure everything I eat is of nutritional benefit to me & not empty calories. I eat multi/whole grains twice a day, fruit twice a day, vegetables 2 or three times, dairy 2 or 3 times, meat &/or seafood twice a day to reach 50-60g Protein & eat <30g of fats (salad dressings are my weakness). Some serves are the recommended serving size but others are less it just depends.

Some people find they have no issues eating a wide range of foods but others discover their tummies just don’t tolerate certain things. I can’t do char grilled meats or vegetables, mashed potatoes, oily fish, fatty meats, breads, rice or Pasta. Some fruits make my restriction kick in early (like mango & apple skin 🙁). I don’t do Beans often because they give me terrible wind. Lentils are fine & I’m going to try some barley soon. I can eat lots of lettuce - it’s a slider food for me so my salad lunches are huge 😁. It’s a bit of trial & error to work out what you can tolerate especially in the first few months. Don’t give up though, you may be fine with something a few months on. Check with your dietician if you are unsure. Plus they should be able to give you a list of foods you could eat &/or a template diet plan to work from.

Good luck.

Much appreciated for the thorough feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2021 at 5:11 PM, 171MaxH said:

Many thanks for the useful information.

Your welcome and I hope I gave you some good ideas to look fwd to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Hesitant but hopeful

      Hey October Surgery friends...how are you doing? I've lost 15 lbs since surgery on 18th.42 lbs overall. Wearing clothes that feel great. Had a bout of cold and stomach flu and still having some nausea off and on after that but getting better, I think. 
      Seems like I fill up and have minor pain quicker when I eat hot foods rather than cold. Anyone else notice this?
      Still sooo glad I did this.
      · 1 reply
      1. Bettyboop56

        I had surgery Oct 29. Lost 35#. Plateau now. But seeing what clothes fit now is encouraging.

    • Merri Beth  »  SamaLotus

      Hi I just saw that you are in Las Vegas too. We are going to the same center. Dr Laduc in same office as Dr Atkinson, is doing my sleeve on Nov. 28th.  I wish you the best!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Jessica100858

      24 days and counting down til surgery 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Bunny78

      Just over 2 weeks post-op….I’m getting there
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Voogs  »  KimA-GA

      always look forward to your updates, Hope you are well.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×