Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pork and Ground Beef

Had gastric bypass on 4-12-2021 my doctor told me it would 9 months before i could it pork are ground beef when did your doctor tell you could eat that?

I don't eat ground beef, however, I was cleared to eat anything at around 4-6 months out, I think (it's been awhile so I don't remember exactly when, but it wasn't as far out as nine months). Some people have issues with meat, so maybe that's why he's having you wait. I never really had issues with anything, though - other than really high fat things.

16 hours ago, weberr24 said:

Had gastric bypass on 4-12-2021 my doctor told me it would 9 months before i could it pork are ground beef when did your doctor tell you could eat that?

I am 9 months out and still have a problem with eating any types of meat. It just seems to sit in my belly like a rock. I haven't eaten pork since my surgery. I tried to eat ground beef a few diff times and it wasn't as bad as other meats. Probably because its ground up. I used to eat chicken breasts all the time before surgery, and now can not because its too dry. I can only eat chicken thighs once in a while and eat just a small portion. It is different for everyone. You will know what you can tolerate at the time. Just don't push it or you will feel sick.

On the chicken breasts' air fry it and keep a eye on it don't let it cook to long just until is done and it will be moist

My surgeon didn't give a timeframe for different meats, but I've only eaten ground beef once since surgery, in chili, about 6 months out, with no problems. I normally substitute ground turkey for ground beef (just because I've heard that a lot of WLS patients tolerate ground turkey better). I've also had pork (pork loin, carnitas, and pork chili verde, all cooked in the Instant Pot) with no problems. I ate a smoked pork rib around 3.5 months out and a bite got stuck on the way down -- not pleasant, but I had some leftovers that I took off the bone shredded, and covered with sugar-free BBQ Sauce and that was fine.

The key with most meats is to make sure they're moist. I mostly cook meat in my Instant Pot, shredded, with a sauce. It is easy to digest that way. I can eat grilled chicken now as long as I cut it in small pieces and chew it well.

Oh yes I have also eaten ground turkey and can tolerate that as well. Again, probably because its ground.

My surgery was April 8 and I was told at the 5 week mark I could start trying all foods since my recovery was smooth. I've had chicken, pork, beef, turkey, fish, and bison since then with no issues, although I do struggle with most meats reheated.

I was told I could even try bread and Pasta but to just be really careful. So far I've only tried the Mission carb balance tortillas and Wasa crackers as far as super carb things are concerned.

11 hours ago, lostmykeysinspace said:

My surgery was April 8 and I was told at the 5 week mark I could start trying all foods since my recovery was smooth. I've had chicken, pork, beef, turkey, fish, and bison since then with no issues, although I do struggle with most meats reheated.

I was told I could even try bread and Pasta but to just be really careful. So far I've only tried the Mission carb balance tortillas and Wasa crackers as far as super carb things are concerned.

Wow! You are one of the "lucky" ones to be able to eat all those meats without them bothering you. I wish I could eat some of that stuff. Haddock & Salmon seem ok sometimes.

Wow! You are one of the "lucky" ones to be able to eat all those meats without them bothering you. I wish I could eat some of that stuff. Haddock & Salmon seem ok sometimes.
Yeah, I haven't struggled with much I've eaten except super fatty things (I tried a couple bites of chicken skin once, BIG mistake). But I also stick to the leanest cuts I can find and chew really well. I've tried chicken thighs, that's the closest to a fatty meat I've attempted so far.

I was cleared for whatever I wanted at four weeks, started with ground chicken, didn’t bother me at all so I tried other meats and had no issues whatsoever.

Interesting enough I tolerate pork and ground beef way better than chicken! I was able to start trying different meats within a couple months

I eat lots of meat. Ground beef, deer, pork, chicken, etc. Been doing so since going to soft food. Started out with chili, shredded chicken and pork. I cook it in my electic pressure cooker. Fast, and tender. Like it's been cooking all day. I still have trouble with overcooked meats.

Has anyone with issues with meats tried any of the plant based options, or the beyond meats? I ask because I was wondering if I had that issue when the time came if that would be a good alternative. I tried a hamburger before surgery and I actually enjoyed it. It tasted like the real deal to me. And I was always a big beef guy.

On 06/10/2021 at 22:35, Chip L said:

Has anyone with issues with meats tried any of the plant based options, or the beyond meats? I ask because I was wondering if I had that issue when the time came if that would be a good alternative. I tried a hamburger before surgery and I actually enjoyed it. It tasted like the real deal to me. And I was always a big beef guy.

I’m a pescatarian so I eat a lot of plant-based meat. Impossible is my favorite but Beyond is improving. Gardein has solid options also. You have to be mindful of your portion sizes because they can be high in fat. Seitan is super high Protein and quite delicious.