Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not much weight loss; should I be concerned?

My surgery date was 5/5. On that day I weighed 260; today, 5/14, I weigh 257. So in nine days I have only lost 3 pounds. I am drinking 4 Protein Drinks per day for a total of 600 calories, adding in 60 ounces of Water.

So I am feeling discouraged. Is this normal?

I would guess it has to do with the fluids you were given in the hospital. I was told to expect to regain about half the weight that's come off in the liver-shrink diet after the fact bc of hospital fluids. It'll come off!!

I did regain 8 lbs in the hospital, then lost that over 5 days... but now I am on day 10 and I have only lost 3 pounds since the surgery date.

Not sure if you've watched this before but found it to be a really helpful video about stalls right after surgery!

thanks!!

most of us gain weight from the IV fluids they give us in the hospital (some people gain up to 10 lbs), and it can take a few days for it to work it's way out of our system. I wouldn't worry yet.

it’s been ten days since surgery

Some people are fast losers, others are slow losers. You’ll lose at your own pace which is right for you. Three pounds is fine. Don’t expect to be losing 30+ pounds a month like they do on My 600lb Life cause you know they weighed 609+lbs to begin & you didn’t.

Follow your weight loss trend not just what you lose every day. Fluctuations are common. Some days you’ll lose nothing then lose 1/2 pound the next. Or you’ll stall & lose nothing. Sometimes for a week sometimes for three weeks. You may be constipated or retaining Fluid which can account for a pound or so too.

Don’t forget your body is experiencing shock after your surgery too. Give it a chance to come to terms with all the changes & heal.

Keep following your plan.

Good luck.

My body must be rebelling.... possibly the MSG in Water enhancers are causing water retention. This morning my weight was 254, tonight it’s 259. I just don’t get it. I am consuming 3 Protein drinks per day, which is only 450 calories. Today I had sugar-free Jello, that has 4 calories per serving. I am walking 10 minutes 3 times per day. So as of tonight I have lost only 1 pound in nine days since surgery. I am not cheating. Disappointed but will stick with it.

I had surgery the same day as you. It's so difficult isn't it? I keep weighing myself every day, even though I know I shouldn't. We want to see those results and know that all of this was worth it. That it's working, and that we did the right thing.

I started comparing myself to folks on instagram, seeing them lose 10 or 15 pounds more than me in the same time frame. It's a rabbit hole that I can't afford to go down, mentally and physically. I'm telling myself that I have to just give my body time, to let it do it's thing. All I can do is follow my surgeon's advice and trust that I will get results. You are doing great with your intake, I'm sure that you will get the results you want to see soon!

I agree with others that it’s probably just fluids. Try to stay off the scale at least until your first post op appointment. Things should balance out by then.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:55 PM, SoulGardener said:

My body must be rebelling.... possibly the MSG in Water enhancers are causing Water retention. This morning my weight was 254, tonight it’s 259. I just don’t get it. I am consuming 3 Protein Drinks per day, which is only 450 calories. Today I had sugar-free Jello, that has 4 calories per serving. I am walking 10 minutes 3 times per day. So as of tonight I have lost only 1 pound in nine days since surgery. I am not cheating. Disappointed but will stick with it.

I always weight a few pounds more at night than I do in the morning. Don't freak out - you didn't actually gain 5 lbs today! It's going to be gone in the morning.

Thank you! You were right! It went away and now I am down to 251.... losing around 1/3 to 1/2 pound each day!! Started on Stage II more solid than liquid but still soft food this week. Started taking Probiotics to get my bowels working more normally. Feeling better!

On 5/15/2021 at 12:20 AM, ChunkyCali said:

folks on instagram, seeing them lose 10 or 15 pounds more than me in the same time frame. It's a rabbit hole that I can't afford to go down, mentally and physically. I'm telling myself that I have to just give my body time, to let it do it's thing. All I can do is follow my surgeon's advice and trust that I will get results. You are doing great with your intake, I'm sure that you will get the results you want to see soon!

you are right. There are so many things that factor into your rate of weight loss that you have little to no control over, such as age, gender, starting BMI, genetics, metabolic rate, what percentage of your body is muscle, etc. The only two factors that you have a lot of control over is your how closely you stick to your program and your activity level. If you're good with those, then you'll lose the weight, whether fast or slow.

I was a slow loser from the get-go, but I was very committed to my program, and I ended up losing all of my excess weight (over 200 lbs). In the end, it has more to do with your level of commitment than it does your rate of weight loss.