Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realistic time line for travel

I'm scheduled for my procedure on July 23rd. It's a Friday. I was told that I will fly into San Diego early, be picked up and taken to Hospital BC and have my procedure that same day. I will stay that night and Saturday night at the hospital and Sunday I will be at the hotel. Monday I will check out of the Hotel and be driven back to the airport in San Diego and then fly home. Everything taking only 4 days. I'm worried that I'm not giving myself enough time to rest. Is this time line realistic? I don't want to be in excruciating pain or hurting myself trying to do to much to soon. Any feedback??

Sent from my moto g stylus using BariatricPal mobile app

I had surgery on a Wednesday and had originally planned to fly home the following Monday..about a 90 minute flight. My surgery was just at the start of the pandemic so my flight changed in the hope of avoiding a 14 day in home quarantine (that didn't work, but it wasn't a bad thing as it allowed me to recovery quitely at home).

I was in hospital up to the Friday evening, surgeon would have been happy for me to stay another night as I was travelling solo. At my prompting I was released from hospital, stayed at my booked hotel for the Friday night and flew home on the Saturday afternoon.

I had no issue flying, I took a couple of panadol as a precaution for pain. I was careful to bend at the knees to lift my case properly when checking in and when taking the bag off the carousel at arrivals.

Even though I had originally planned to fly home on the Monday but flew home on the Saturday, with the threat of possible cancelled flights my surgeon said if I could get a flight out on the Friday evening there was on reason I couldn't fly home them. I didn't even bother trying for the Friday evening, the incisions were quite sore, but it was manageable Saturday afternoon for me.

you may be really tired, although probably not in pain. Many of us have little no pain from these surgeries, and if you're one of the unlucky ones who do, you'll have pain meds to manage it. Especially since it'll be four days after your surgery, you should be able to make that trip.

I didn't have to fly right after mine, but depending on how long your flight is, you might want to get up and move a little bit during it.

From my understanding, that's standard protocol in Mexico. My surgery is May 12th. I fly in on the 11th, surgery the next day, two nights inpatient and one night in a nearby hotel. I fly home the following day following dietician counseling. I know of dozens of people who've had surgery with the same surgeon I have and all have had the same protocol with no trouble traveling home afterwards. Hope that helps.