Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods and supplements for major constipation

I was almost late for work today because I experienced a major blockage that surpasses anything I've gone through after surgery. Admittedly I started a new job and went back to the office a week and a half ago and my Water consumption has been dismal. What supplements and foods do you find most helpful? I'm not big on buying tons of veggies because they go to waste. At this point I think a supplement would be best just to get me halfway regular again.

a lot of people take a capful of Miralax every day to keep on top of it. Also, some people use magnesium tablets - or stool softeners - or eat a few prunes every day (but only a few - they're very high in calories!). And yes - definitely stay hydrated as that helps as well.

How long can the Miralax go on for? I was 5 months post op and my surgeon was very worried about me being on it any longer so he took me off but then I became constipated and have had to use a plethora of things to keep regular. Smooth Move tea (worked for a month), prunes (worked for a week), psyllium Fiber (made things worse), flax seed (did nothing), milk of magnesia (worked far too well), colace (didn’t work), Probiotics (didn’t work), and fleets enemas (works well but quite a production and after care). Now I get cotton mouth and feel dry all the time even though I’m always on the toilet for a pee because of all the fluids.

I’ve been struggling with an anal fissure due to the Constipation for the better half of three months and my Bari team is not super invested in helping me figure out what’s going on. I hear the same thing, up my Water and eat more fiber. I’ve done both but I still have dry mouth and hard BM’s. Feeling pretty low right now. Other than the usual Calcium and a multi V with Iron I’m only on one other thing, my PPI acid blocker. I exercise regularly and sleep well but my bathroom stuff is making me crazy.
I was not prepared for this type of complication.

40 minutes ago, Zom B said:

How long can the Miralax go on for? I was 5 months post op and my surgeon was very worried about me being on it any longer so he took me off but then I became constipated and have had to use a plethora of things to keep regular.

interesting - my PCP told me it was safe to stay on Miralax long-term. My bariatric surgeon also knows I take it and is fine with it. I've been having a capful every morning for probably five years... (it does say on the bottle to only stay on it for something like seven days (or 14? can't remember) and see a doctor if you're still having the issue, but she said it's because they want to make sure it's not masking something serious. In my case, it's not - like you, it's due to the high Protein diet and the supplements we take (iron and Calcium are the usual culprits...). I've gotten dry mouth from PPI's as well, so I would not be at all surprised if they contribute to the Constipation too.

btw - chronic constipation is a very common problem among WLS patients

Everything you’re telling me lines up with all the googling, pre op classes, and reading I’ve done.

When I looked up pantoprazole it states that Constipation is a possible side effect yet my Dr has not agreed to try a different acid blocker even though I’ve asked several times. I really appreciate your response because I was starting to feel like I’m going crazy. I kept telling him “I feel drained, like I drink and drink and drink but feel so dry” and he doesn’t listen when I say it isn’t my Water or diet. I am super regimented and have had amazing results with my post op weight loss and energy gain m, however my body does not behave the way it used to. All the Vitamins and supps confuse it. I’m only 8 months out so I am trying to be patient but it is hard when dr’s don’t listen and my body is sending messages loud and clear. Sorry for getting ranty, I didn’t sleep a wink due to bum swelling and discomfort after the milk of magnesia kicked in. Any suggestions for an OTC acid reducer I can suggest to my surgeon? I know he’ll want me on one until at least a year out because I’d had an ulcer due to a stomach opening structure that had to be surgically corrected at 3 months post op.
Thanks in advance!

Also, I guess I just don’t understand why my surgeon has an expectation that I will not need any sort of GI help when it does to be so common?

Does anyone else use a mail laxative or stool softener? I see Colace (docusate sodium) a lot but it did nothing for me.

5 hours ago, Zom B said:

Also, I guess I just don’t understand why my surgeon has an expectation that I will not need any sort of GI help when it does to be so common?

Does anyone else use a mail laxative or stool softener? I see Colace (docusate sodium) a lot but it did nothing for me.

some people do use stool softeners. Magnesium tablets can also help.

Anal fissure is back after having been healed and I am not looking forward to the next month of suppositories, bland eating, and pain :(