Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any surgery regrets?

Does anyone here regret having had gastric bypass surgery? I’m still in the preop stage. I keep hearing about the downsides: adhesions, forever being careful of what to eat, dumping, stricture, malabsorption, etc. I’m getting scared to move forward. Part of me feels like I can lose weight with my doctors help (I’ve already lost 40 pounds, 80 to go). The other part of me says okay, you have surgery and lose the weight then what?? You’re stuck with the side effects? I’m getting scared and about to talk myself out of it. I’d like to hear your story and of you had similar thoughts are you still happy with the surgery?

Hi there I had the same fears here..But while getting my work up to get approved for this procedure I found out I was pre-diabetic had Gerd and my preop scope found an ulcer that I was unaware of. i feel like this was my wake up call . And this procedure could improve my health. I feel that the benefits outweigh the risks.

Does anyone here regret having had gastric bypass surgery?

** nope. Not for a minute. I'd do it every year if I had to. Best decision I've ever made!!

I keep hearing about the downsides: adhesions, forever being careful of what to eat, dumping, stricture, malabsorption, etc.

** first, the downside of remaining obese - high risk of diabetes, heart issues, early death.

As far as gastric bypass downsides that you mentioned:

Adhesions - very rare

Forever being careful of what to eat: you'd have to do this if you lost weight the old-fashioned way, too, if you wanted to maintain your loss.

Dumping: 30% of us dump. I never have -- and I know lots of others who never have, either. If you turn out to be a dumper, it's controlled by avoiding or limiting sugar (or fats - some people dump on fats). These are things we should be doing anyway.

Stricture: happens to 5% of us. Minor issue and very easy fix.

Malabsorption: 1) calorie malabsorption is what gives us a leg up on weight loss. It lasts a year or two. 2) nutrient malabsorption - rare as long as you keep on top of your vitamins

I think a lot of us once had the same concerns. I did too - which is why it took me ten years to take the plunge. And now my only regret is that I waited so long to do it.

If you don't feel you're mentally ready for it, then maybe now isn't the time to do it. It takes some serious dedication and I think you really have to be in the right mindset to be successful. But seriously, it really is the best decision I've ever made. Should have done it years ago.

Edited by catwoman7

Have you considered the sleeve or band? It is my understanding that they have less severe/long lasting side effects.

5 hours ago, gabbyd said:

Have you considered the sleeve or band? It is my understanding that they have less severe/long lasting side effects.

I would not do the band. In fact, hardly any surgeons place the band anymore - there have been way too many problems with them, and many people have had them replaced with sleeve or bypass.

Sleeve is a good option as long as you don't have GERD.

honestly, complications with either bypass or sleeve aren't that common and are usually minor. For some reason there's the opinion out there that these are really risky surgeries and you're bound to have a lot of problems, but it just isn't true. Yes you'll always find people who've had a ton of problems with weight loss surgeries (both sleeve and bypass), but for the vast majority of us, we sail through them just fine and have no issues. The only thing different about my life now (other than being 200 lbs lighter) is that I now have to take Vitamins every day (and of course, I eat less that before)

Edited by catwoman7

I never had any regrets when I had my lap band put in 11+ years ago, despite getting horrible GERD and that the band likely causing my hiatal hernia.

And I really don't think I will regret my revision to a VSG two weeks ago either. Not to go to "a dark place" in this thread but honestly, the point that my bariatric surgeon brought up in the seminar when I was considering the lap band years ago was "Why is it that you never see anyone who is old and obese? Because if you're obese you generally don't make it to old age." That has just stayed with me ever since.

Wishing you all the best on your journey!!

I dump. It has taught me to careful with sugar and fats.

I still have significant restriction. It has taught me to pay attention to how I eat.

Malabsorption, check. So I monitor blood work and medication effectiveness.

I eat to plan. It is my normal, so don't give it much thought.

I'm a deliriously happy camper. There are folks in the exact same place that are miserable.

Be sure of your choice and commit to dealing with whatever comes.

I think everyone has regret the first week after surgery, it sucks in the beginning. It gets better fast. I wish I had done it sooner, best decision I ever made. It is not easy, it is a tool, its a journey, its hard ass work.

In my situation, in my head, in my life it was and is worth it, you need to determine whats right for you :)

Oh my gosh!!!!! This is the BEST thing I ever did? My one regret: (and I have heard this SO many times...). I wish I would have done it sooner! I was 57 when I had the sleeve done 10 years ago. I lost 80 lbs and just in the last couple of years I have put 15-20 lbs back on which is why I am back here to figure out how to stop the gain. I went in with the mindset that this was a very exciting time in my life and I was finally going to get a handle on it and I did!!! I wrote a book called Queen of Crop where I kept a blog faithfully each week....I suggest you do as well because it will be a very exciting year for you. You will be in the Honeymoon phase for the first year....but listen and learn so you don't regain. Sadly, my surgery was very early on and I was traveling for a year so had very little (if any) follow up support so here I am fighting some weight gain. But oh, the freedom of feeling thin!!!! Good luck and have fun with it. My passport photos taken exactly one year apart!

szk 2011 and szk 2012.jpg

9 minutes ago, Betty1971 said:

I think everyone has regret the first week after surgery, it sucks in the beginning. It gets better fast. I wish I had done it sooner, best decision I ever made. It is not easy, it is a tool, its a journey, its hard ass work.

In my situation, in my head, in my life it was and is worth it, you need to determine whats right for you :)

"Almost everyone." I might even just go with "many".

I had open RNY so I was cut from stem to stern, had a drain for 10 days after. I was in the hospital for 3 days with a bed that was the devil. I sat in the guest chair most of the time. Because of the staples and drain every movement was a new experience in pain. Eating was nearly impossible.

I never regretted my choice for an instant.

1 minute ago, The Greater Fool said:

"Almost everyone." I might even just go with "many".

I had open RNY so I was cut from stem to stern, had a drain for 10 days after. I was in the hospital for 3 days with a bed that was the devil. I sat in the guest chair most of the time. Because of the staples and drain every movement was a new experience in pain. Eating was nearly impossible.

I never regretted my choice for an instant.

Maybe I was lucky. I felt very well cared for in the hospital and was so excited about my future. Every day was a new adventure. and like THE GREATER FOOL said above....I never regretted my choice for an instant.

My sister has always been overweight...I have been overweight for the last 15 years (or so). She is on a diet (Dr. Livinggood) and told me that she had told a friend NOT to get the surgery because it would change her relationship with food FOREVER. I told her "That's kind of the point...even with the program YOU are on". But I will say this, I do not regret it at all! (I DO however, regret the Reeses' Peanut Butter Egg that I just ate...but only to the extent I would have regretted it BEFORE surgery! LOL) I echo those that said wait until you are sure...but I wish I had thought about doing this 10 years ago!

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I would not do the band. In fact, hardly any surgeons place the band anymore - there have been way too many problems with them, and many people have had them replaced with sleeve or bypass.

Sleeve is a good option as long as you don't have GERD.

honestly, complications with either bypass or sleeve aren't that common and are usually minor. For some reason there's the opinion out there that these are really risky surgeries and you're bound to have a lot of problems, but it just isn't true. Yes you'll always find people who've had a ton of problems with weight loss surgeries (both sleeve and bypass), but for the vast majority of us, we sail through them just fine and have no issues. The only thing different about my life now (other than being 200 lbs lighter) is that I now have to take Vitamins every day (and of course, I eat less that before)

I agree as a previous bander. Sleeve is sooooo much better!