Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Length of Hospital Stay Following Procedure

I'm sorry you had that. I had a lot of swelling as well.

Just remember this is temporary pain and inconvenience. give yourself patience. You got to this point already. The next few weeks will be over before you know it and you have the rest of your life to reap the health benefits and new lease on a healthier, more active life.

On 4/1/2021 at 10:50 AM, Rosie_flips said:

Hi @Lorey_a! How are you feeling today? Did they keep you in for today? And nausea?

Hi Rosie - how are you doing? I ended up staying for 3 days, 2 of those in ICU. I feel much better and have been home since Saturday. A little nausea that caused me to semi vomit but they stayed on top of me with nasusea medication. Biggest challenge was the pain due to all the air they had filled my cavity with. Was not expelling as quickly as they had hoped. Drinking my Ensure Protein Shakes twice a day (takes forever) to get through one of them - lol. Looking forward to trying some high Protein chicken broth this evening. Slowly getting back to work today as well - worked about half the day. How about you - did you experience nausea and how long did you end up staying, etc.?

Hi @Lorey_a!

That sounds like a pretty rough time! I’m glad you’re doing better. I had a pretty ridiculously easy time, and I feel super super lucky.

I had no nausea to speak of, and I needed to pee pretty much as soon as I woke up. I left the same day (About 12 hours) after my 9am surgery. I was awake every hour that night to pee and drink tiny sips of Water, which meant I was able to walk off most of the gas pain that night too.
My first day home was a bit of a blur, but I didn’t need to take the oxy I was prescribed, and I’m mostly off the Tylenol now. Getting fluids in was a challenge, but it’s much easier now. Premier Protein shakes taste pretty lousy to me now, so I’m hiding them in Decaf coffee.

I had (runny) mashed potatoes for dinner tonight and it felt like the most delicious thing I’d ever tasted!😂 I hope the chicken broth tastes similarly awesome!

I’m back to work on Wednesday (also for a half day) I work from home though. Were you tired after your half day?

One weird thing I didn’t expect was a night of really bad insomnia, the night of the 3rd I didn’t sleep at all, but also wasn’t tired, I read that it might be a ketosis thing.

Here’s to smooth sailing for the next couple of weeks! When do you move to soft/purée foods?

13 hours ago, Rosie_flips said:

Hi @Lorey_a!

That sounds like a pretty rough time! I’m glad you’re doing better. I had a pretty ridiculously easy time, and I feel super super lucky.

I had no nausea to speak of, and I needed to pee pretty much as soon as I woke up. I left the same day (About 12 hours) after my 9am surgery. I was awake every hour that night to pee and drink tiny sips of Water, which meant I was able to walk off most of the gas pain that night too.
My first day home was a bit of a blur, but I didn’t need to take the oxy I was prescribed, and I’m mostly off the Tylenol now. Getting fluids in was a challenge, but it’s much easier now. Premier Protein shakes taste pretty lousy to me now, so I’m hiding them in Decaf coffee.

I had (runny) mashed potatoes for dinner tonight and it felt like the most delicious thing I’d ever tasted!😂 I hope the chicken broth tastes similarly awesome!

I’m back to work on Wednesday (also for a half day) I work from home though. Were you tired after your half day?

One weird thing I didn’t expect was a night of really bad insomnia, the night of the 3rd I didn’t sleep at all, but also wasn’t tired, I read that it might be a ketosis thing.

Here’s to smooth sailing for the next couple of weeks! When do you move to soft/purée foods?

My doctor wants me to remain on liquid for 5 weeks. Wish I could have soupy mashed potatoes though but that sounds like a ways off for me. I have learned that all surgery centers are not the same for sure as far as their plan to go back to regulated diet. I did wake up this morning feeling yucky. Not sure how to describe it. I think it is a bit of my anxiety or ketosis like your saying. Just feeling weak and sweaty but then thought maybe my blood sugar so I just ordered a test kit. This will determine if I need to go back on my Metformin at a reduced MG per day. Due to my lower GI being a little on the stubborn side since surgery, I did talk to my surgeon this morning and he said to go ahead and blend in some fruits and vegetables to my Protein Drinks. No doubt that will help with the overall strength coming back online. Planning on walking on the treadmill at some point today as I am getting around pretty well at this point so the sooner the better my doctor says. I went off the pain meds yesterday at 9PM and have not taken since. Not a big fan of pain meds but when you need them - thank goodness we have them!

You don't happen to use a C-PAP machine?

I went home the next day based off of how good I was doing with walking and ect.

Surgery was at 8am, I left the next day at 7pm. My Surgeon said this is the earliest he will release post op patients as he wants them to be able to handle two “fulls” meals with no issue before discharge. It felt like an eternity!

I had a rough-ish recovery. Anesthesia made me so nauseous I was throwing up (dry heaving for the first 12 hours). It was not pleasant. I also had a bladder that decided to sleep in after anesthesia so I had an extra night with a catheter. I am actually grateful now that they kept me longer because I needed extra care. Just be kind to how your body reacts and take it slow. Good Luck!!

Hi @Lorey_a! I hope you’re feeling more un-yucky now.
This morning just getting up felt like a MASSIVE task, and I’m pretty ready to have a bit more energy. But my post surgical appointment went great!
I did have to have an ultrasound to rule out a DVT, because I’ve had leg cramps in one leg, but I got the all clear for that. PHEW.

Might be just me/hormones/everything but my emotions are a bit rollercoaster-y today. I came THISCLOSE to angry-crying about my house keys being in the wrong spot! 😂🤣🤬

I’ve never used a C-PAP, are you having issues with one?

I know everyone's experience is different, but it seems MOST people were out the next day. Good to know!

35 minutes ago, Rosie_flips said:

Hi @Lorey_a! I hope you’re feeling more un-yucky now.
This morning just getting up felt like a MASSIVE task, and I’m pretty ready to have a bit more energy. But my post surgical appointment went great!
I did have to have an ultrasound to rule out a DVT, because I’ve had leg cramps in one leg, but I got the all clear for that. PHEW.

Might be just me/hormones/everything but my emotions are a bit rollercoaster-y today. I came THISCLOSE to angry-crying about my house keys being in the wrong spot! 😂🤣🤬

I’ve never used a C-PAP, are you having issues with one?

HI Rosie, Glad your post op appointment went well. I do not see the doctor until 4/22 and will be my first. I am sorry that you are having a rough day. I have read it is not uncommon. I am finding the energy level is part of the strain for sure and I believe that can certainly cause some emotional ups and downs as well. As for me I have noticed I have been a bit snippy but that is only because I live with two of my youngest sons or I should say they live with me. At 20 they still need to be the same thing 15 times before it seems to absorb, hence the snippy! LOL I am having a better day than yesterday thankfully but still did not make it to the treadmill just too tired still.

1 hour ago, VSGJen said:

I had a rough-ish recovery. Anesthesia made me so nauseous I was throwing up (dry heaving for the first 12 hours). It was not pleasant. I also had a bladder that decided to sleep in after anesthesia so I had an extra night with a catheter. I am actually grateful now that they kept me longer because I needed extra care. Just be kind to how your body reacts and take it slow. Good Luck!!

I agree - clearly everyone is different and I am very grateful they kept me.

On 3/30/2021 at 9:32 PM, Lorey_a said:

I am having my Sleeve surgery tomorrow and wanted to know what the length of your hospital stay was following surgery? I was told by the Surgical Nurse that called me today that some people go home the same day. The Medical doctor that did my clearance two weeks ago stated one night and my surgeon said one to two nights. Obviously its based on any complications that may arise but just curious if you don't mind sharing. Thank you!

I had a problem after surgery back in my room I kept feeling like I had to urinate and couldn’t, so they did a bladder scan and found a pocket of blood. So the next day they took me back into surgery and got that pocket of blood out, also gave me a transfusion. Was suppose to be in hospital one night and it turned into 5 nights. When I look back on it now, this was the beginning of March, I kind of lucked out as they were keeping me hydrated through intervenors, thus not having to get all that Fluid down on my own.

10 hours ago, Auderly said:

I had a problem after surgery back in my room I kept feeling like I had to urinate and couldn’t, so they did a bladder scan and found a pocket of blood. So the next day they took me back into surgery and got that pocket of blood out, also gave me a transfusion. Was suppose to be in hospital one night and it turned into 5 nights. When I look back on it now, this was the beginning of March, I kind of lucked out as they were keeping me hydrated through intervenors, thus not having to get all that Fluid down on my own.

Oh wow, that sounds nuts. Glad they found and fixed the issue quickly, that's for sure. How have things been after that issue?

2 hours ago, A1220M said:

Oh wow, that sounds nuts. Glad they found and fixed the issue quickly, that's for sure. How have things been after that issue?

Everything went ok after they got the blood out. Nausea is making me crazy and I am 6 weeks postop. How did your procedure go?