Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I was sleeved the last week of February and am now on the soft foods diet for the next few weeks. I’ve lost 28lbs in 4 weeks (am in a little of a stall currently).

I’ve found that I can eat and drink more than I expected at this stage (approx 4 - 6 oz per “soft” meal). I spoke with my doctor’s office and they said it can vary for everyone depending on swelling, and that I should go by my feeling of fullness as the indicator. Basically, my body will let me know when I’ve exceeded my limit.

I’ve read countless posts about people who can only eat 2 - 4 oz of food at this stage (or even as little as 3 bites) and I’m getting paranoid that I’m overeating and don’t want to sabotage myself. Even the guidelines given by the nutritionist call for 4oz, and it seems a little contradictory to what the doctor’s office is saying.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and were you still successful?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Katherine,

We're all different in what we can/cannot eat and what our metabolism is. The best advice you can get will definitely be from your doctor. Losing 28lbs in 4 weeks is AMAZING! One thing you will see on this board sometimes is "contests" on who can and does eat the least. One of the hardest things is to keep from comparing yourself to someone else (trust me... we all do it!).

Personally, I've lost about 80lbs since August (somewhat of a slow loser) - BUT, I am a LOSER. I'm eating at a pace that I can live with for the rest of my life (or at least it feels that way now). If you're comfortable and you're losing (stalls happen - Just part of the process) and your doctor is happy and your bloodwork is good - Just roll with it and enjoy the journey.

A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

At 3 weeks out I was eating 1200 calories a day. I could have eaten more, but my dietician said 1200...so that's what I did during all of weight loss phase.

I found that soft "slider" foods would go right through and I could eat a lot of them. When I started eating food with more texture, I found that I could only eat a small amount of them at a time.

Edited by Creekimp13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, katherineheartburn said:

I was sleeved the last week of February and am now on the soft foods diet for the next few weeks. I’ve lost 28lbs in 4 weeks (am in a little of a stall currently).

I’ve found that I can eat and drink more than I expected at this stage (approx 4 - 6 oz per “soft” meal). I spoke with my doctor’s office and they said it can vary for everyone depending on swelling, and that I should go by my feeling of fullness as the indicator. Basically, my body will let me know when I’ve exceeded my limit.

I’ve read countless posts about people who can only eat 2 - 4 oz of food at this stage (or even as little as 3 bites) and I’m getting paranoid that I’m overeating and don’t want to sabotage myself. Even the guidelines given by the nutritionist call for 4oz, and it seems a little contradictory to what the doctor’s office is saying.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and were you still successful?

Thanks!

Congrats on your weight loss, 28#'s in 4 weeks is incredible. I have lost almost 40 lbs since 1/25 when I got the call about scheduling surgery on 1/25. I have lost 23 lbs since surgery on 2/23. I hve been able to drink fluids pretty much normally since surgery. I too can eat almost a cup of food with out pushing it or getting sick feeling. I am eating about 1000 cals a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the feedback. I’ve definitely noticed the trend here and on other forums to win a “smallest portion” contest, and it made me question if I was doing something wrong. Your comments helped validate for me that there’s no universal way to experience this process.

I think the main thing is that if you’re continuing to lose weight, the tool is working, and to just keep moving forward - congrats to all of us :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, katherineheartburn said:

I’ve definitely noticed the trend here and on other forums to win a “smallest portion” contest,

By definition...the morbidly obese struggle with disordered eating.

This doesn't change because we have our anatomy altered. Takes a while to get our heads figured out. The same folks who bought the supersized shake, fries and triple decker sandwich for lunch.....profess to live on postage stamp sized meals and calories that wouldn't sustain a toddler. It's not a leap of logic to notice these two examples of extreme food thinking/eating are related.

Disordered eating is a thing. Surgery doesn't cure it. And it's a big part of the work.

My big hope for myself and everyone here....is to learn to eat normally. Normal meals with flexability. Normal calories counts. Good variety. Good nutrition.

And spend a normal amount of time thinking about it instead of obsessing hours a day.

Wouldn't that be cool? Effortless normal eating. Man, I want that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

By definition...the morbidly obese struggle with disordered eating.

This doesn't change because we have our anatomy altered. Takes a while to get our heads figured out. The same folks who bought the supersized shake, fries and triple decker sandwich for lunch.....profess to live on postage stamp sized meals and calories that wouldn't sustain a toddler. It's not a leap of logic to notice these two examples of extreme food thinking/eating are related.

Disordered eating is a thing. Surgery doesn't cure it. And it's a big part of the work.

My big hope for myself and everyone here....is to learn to eat normally. Normal meals with flexability. Normal calories counts. Good variety. Good nutrition.

And spend a normal amount of time thinking about it instead of obsessing hours a day.

Wouldn't that be cool? Effortless normal eating. Man, I want that!

I feel like the sleeve gives me my best chance to eat "normally". I hope this keeps working like it is now, I am very happy with the sleeve. I believe having the lapband before has helped. I eat slow and can tell when I am getting full. I don't want to over do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the same boat as you Katherine. Sleeved last week of Feb, still on soft foods and I don’t feel a restriction. I can eat 4 oz of chicken and a few green Beans with no issues. I stop due to Portion Control rather than feeling a restriction. I am measuring y food to keep portions under 1/2 cup. I have lost 25 lbs since surgery with stalls here and there. I see surgeon on Monday, plan to ask about this and will share what I am told. I don’t think we are doing anything wrong. I would rather stop eating on my own rather than getting full every meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At 3 weeks out I was eating 1200 calories a day. I could have eaten more, but my dietician said 1200...so that's what I did during all of weight loss phase.
I found that soft "slider" foods would go right through and I could eat a lot of them. When I started eating food with more texture, I found that I could only eat a small amount of them at a time.
Spend normal amount of time each day thinking about it!
I HOPE TO GET TO THIS POINT SOMEDAY!
just as well I'm retired
Working out what to eat ( timings..liquid intake..150gm Protein target..max 800k cal target)
Feels (and is at the moment) a full time all consuming (!) Job

Sent from my SM-N975F using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had appt at surgeon’s office today. I asked the PA about not feeling the restriction and she said as I increase the density of foods I should feel it more. ( I.e. will feel full earlier with steak than yogurt). She said if I was stopping before I get that feeling and feel I have eaten enough that is fine. The Nut felt 3 oz of chicken at one time is too much for where I am post op even though I feel no restriction, and I should back it down to 2 oz so I can add veggies etc now. I have been progressed to regular bariatric diet after this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/27/2021 at 11:45 PM, katherineheartburn said:

I was sleeved the last week of February and am now on the soft foods diet for the next few weeks. I’ve lost 28lbs in 4 weeks (am in a little of a stall currently).

I’ve found that I can eat and drink more than I expected at this stage (approx 4 - 6 oz per “soft” meal). I spoke with my doctor’s office and they said it can vary for everyone depending on swelling, and that I should go by my feeling of fullness as the indicator. Basically, my body will let me know when I’ve exceeded my limit.

I’ve read countless posts about people who can only eat 2 - 4 oz of food at this stage (or even as little as 3 bites) and I’m getting paranoid that I’m overeating and don’t want to sabotage myself. Even the guidelines given by the nutritionist call for 4oz, and it seems a little contradictory to what the doctor’s office is saying.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and were you still successful?

Thanks!

28 pounds in 4 weeks is phenomenal. I'd say you're doing everything right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. I’m now at Week 6 and down about 35lbs since the last week of Feb (had a few stalls) I’m still eating about 5-6 oz per “main” meal with Protein and drinking in larger quantities than before. The Prilosec has helped a little with the “fake hunger” pangs but not much. I meet with the nutritionist tomorrow and will see what she says vs what the doctor has said. I’ll keep you posted :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2021 at 1:47 PM, Creekimp13 said:

At 3 weeks out I was eating 1200 calories a day. I could have eaten more, but my dietician said 1200...so that's what I did during all of weight loss phase.

I found that soft "slider" foods would go right through and I could eat a lot of them. When I started eating food with more texture, I found that I could only eat a small amount of them at a time.

Wow I'm three weeks post-op and I can't even get to 500 kcal per day. It's really difficult and I feel like anything other than chicken pureed with broth, greek yogurt and Protein Shakes gives me acid reflux :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fitgal2021 said:

Wow I'm three weeks post-op and I can't even get to 500 kcal per day. It's really difficult and I feel like anything other than chicken pureed with broth, greek yogurt and Protein Shakes gives me acid reflux :(

This is not uncommon it seems. Once I got back on real food the intake is less than other phases. I have been able to drink liquids and eat soups/puree without what seemed like much restriction. Food about half to three quarters of a cup and I better stop. I have really been fortunate that I have not been sick or have any pain (other than day of surgery gas pain) a single time. I did drink a whole Protein Shake with added whey & collagen powder that was a bit much. I drink in 2 parts now instead of all at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×