Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone allowed to have people with them in the hospital to get surgery ?

Due to Covid 19, I was told from a Bariatric nurse at the hospital I’m scheduled to have my surgery from
the rules are my husband can’t be with me overnight while I have my surgery . We are newlyweds...got married 4 months ago and you mean to tell me my significant other cannot even be with me . Are you freakin kidding me?He could only stay with me during visitation hours of 12-8pm. I find that absolutely ridiculous. She says oh no you will never be alone , there will always be nurses doing their rounds , but I want my husband by my side in case something is wrong . He knows how to calm me down and not worry so much . I hope the CDC removes this rule so my husband could be with me. I’m already a bunch of nerves as it is. Is this relatable to anyone else , if so how are you coping with these covid rules ?

Almost all hospitals are doing that due to COVID-19. You're actually really lucky that he can visit you at all. I had my knee replaced in August and no one was allowed to enter the hospital with me at any time. I was dropped off and picked up and loved ones never came inside. If he can be with you during visiting hours, you're blessed!

Edited by Jaelzion

Yes, you are lucky he can even be in there all those hours. I know you don't want to hear it. I get it.

My dear friend's father was admitted to the hospital last Summer and everyone knew he wasn't coming out alive (several, severe health issues) and still, they wouldn't allow her, her mother, her brother, ANYONE inside to be with him. They had to say their goodbyes quickly as the ambulance took him and sadly, he died alone. So yeah, I get it but you are fortunate to be able to have him there at all.

Wish this Covid crap was a thing of the past.

I haven't had the surgery yet myself but from what I've read here from MANY people, you'll do fine and it will be over with before you know it. I'm sure if you become overwhelmed you could always call your husband overnight and he could comfort you that way. Stay positive!!

you'll be fine. I slept most of the time I was at the hospital. My husband was there almost the whole time - even slept in a chair in my room (this was almost six years ago, so no COVID) - but I was out like a light most of the time so I wasn't aware he was there.

the others are right - it's good he can be with you during visiting hours. In a lot of hospitals, even that wouldn't be allowed. I know it sucks, but.... At least it's just a couple of days.

I was only allowed one visitor during visiting hours after my surgery in July. I was feeling so nauseated and sleepy the first couple days I barely knew my husband was there. I
There are so many people in the past year who have died and their loved ones couldn't be there with them, so I felt thankful that my husband was able to come see me at all, and at least I wasn't someone dying alone in a hospital or someone who had a loved one dying alone that I couldn't be with.
People in a hospital are vulnerable, so it's especially important to take all the precautions necessary to prevent Covid spreading in there.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

As an adult I would never expect anyone to be with me overnight following this type of surgery. If something goes wrong there are nurses there, if something goes wrong he wouldn't be allowed to be with you anyway.

Hopefully you will be so sleepy you won't miss not being there over night.

I feel the same way, although we have been together for 21 years. But we have a 11 month old and 3 older kiddos who need my hubby to come home to be with them that night. Thank God my aubt is willing to watch the kids until ge gets back, I told him he can leave me after I have eaten dinner, used the bathroom and been given pain meds 🤣. I am planning on having him return by 9am the next morning to be with me until they release me which I hear is by about 1pm. One night wont be too bad.

But I would have loved if he cohld have just stayed with me all night, I do not want nurses near me very much. I am sorry you have to push through this. But we are resilient strong women and we will make it through this! Good luck on your surgery 👍

I know it is tough... but it is for the safety of all patients. Really, do you want someone else's significant other exposing others to COVID and then you getting it while recovering from surgery? I can tell you... post-op is unpleasant enough without adding a COVID infection on top of it.

But really... when I worked in hospitals we rarely allowed adult patients to have overnight guests. Only under a few special circumstances (like having a baby or someone actually on their death bed). Visiting hours were during the daytime only. I know I was trained this way, but I don't see it as a big deal to not be allowed an overnight guest. And with COVID going around, I would consider yourself lucky to know he is allowed during visiting hours.

If this is a really big concern of yours, you might want to consider postponing your surgery. Otherwise, it is what it is. Have your cell phone with you when he leaves so you can talk and/or facetime when you need him in the evening/night.

And while I say all that... I was actually blessed that my husband WAS allowed to spend the night. We didn't plan for it. I had just assumed he would go home to our daughter all along. But night came and he didn't leave. Daughter got to be home alone with our dogs for the night (teenager). And he ended up staying with me and taking care of me. Honestly... I could have done it without him, I mostly slept. He mostly slept. But when I had to get up and pee he was there to help me so I didn't have to wait for the nurse. So it was nice, but wouldn't have been a big deal if he had gone home. My surgery was of course PRE-COVID.

I had had surgery last September and had to be dropped off and picked up with no visitors. I was actually a bit luckily though and my wife and I were both in adjoining room as we both had the surgery the same day.

I know you will miss your husband but like others have said, use technology to it's fullest and you will sleep the majority of the time. I don't remember too much from the hospital other than they kept giving me IVs and I had to use the restroom every couple of hours. Good luck and you will do great.