Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of questions

Hi pls don’t judge I’m 18 I’m having the surgery soon and I just want to know if they’re going to drug test for weed

That is not, to the best of my knowledge, a routine thing they test for. No way of knowing for sure, though! I know they do test for nicotine, so maybe?

If I were you, I'd quit ASAP. Take a big long break. Get through your surgery and recovery before you re-evaluate using it. If you don't quit at least a few weeks before surgery....fess up and tell your team. It's important information that they should have for your safety.

Also....there is strong evidence that using cannabis under 25 years of age is less safe, due to possible negative effects while your brain is growing. Google....."smoking pot under 25". Not lecturing, just trying to bring awareness to something many people don't know about.

Good luck with your surgery! Stay safe, and let us know how it goes.

I was a huge pot smoker, for over 30 years. I actually quit when I knew I had to have this surgery. When I went to the classes, they told us we could not smoke anything, or we wouldn't be able to have the surgery. They never actually tested me, as far as I know. Maybe when they did the blood work, I was tested.

I was tested.

4 hours ago, hbwk8 said:

Hi pls don’t judge I’m 18 I’m having the surgery soon and I just want to know if they’re going to drug test for weed

OK,

While thread title is "Lots of questions" I can't help but notice but one question in the text of the post. I'm not judging (honest) but I am disappointed. Generally "lots" is 6-7 or more. Well, perhaps 3 or 4 if they are multi-part questions.

But, we are where we are.

Just want to encourage you to be more realistic in your numbers. It will help in your future.

The weed you need to talk to your surgeon. If they don't want you smoking you can perhaps change over to consumables for a while. The legal age for purchase and possession is 21 and you best check what reporting requirements medical professionals have, or if there are any liability issues for them if they become aware of this illegal activity. I don't have a clue, but these would be the things I would check.

If the idea of stopping use for 4-8 months while you get approved and have surgery causes you angst you may want to take a hard look at where you are. If it's not an issue for you then it shouldn't be an issue for you.

But, and I can't state this clearly enough: A lot is more than one.

23 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

OK,

While thread title is "Lots of questions" I can't help but notice but one question in the text of the post. I'm not judging (honest) but I am disappointed. Generally "lots" is 6-7 or more. Well, perhaps 3 or 4 if they are multi-part questions.

But, we are where we are.

Just want to encourage you to be more realistic in your numbers. It will help in your future.

The weed you need to talk to your surgeon. If they don't want you smoking you can perhaps change over to consumables for a while. The legal age for purchase and possession is 21 and you best check what reporting requirements medical professionals have, or if there are any liability issues for them if they become aware of this illegal activity. I don't have a clue, but these would be the things I would check.

If the idea of stopping use for 4-8 months while you get approved and have surgery causes you angst you may want to take a hard look at where you are. If it's not an issue for you then it shouldn't be an issue for you.

But, and I can't state this clearly enough: A lot is more than one.

No trust me there’s more questions but I didn’t want to overwhelm with multiple right away cus this was the main one and I needed to know this answer before I asked more just to make sure I got a straight answer haha I will be asking more tho! Just needed to get this one out of the way

Ok so I’ll stop right now :) it’s honestly one of those things I could live without so it won’t be a problem for me. How long does the process usually take to get the surgery? Or is it different for everyone because I have my first appt on Wednesday and I think that’s just to go in and discuss the fact that I am getting the surgery

1 minute ago, hbwk8 said:

Ok so I’ll stop right now :) it’s honestly one of those things I could live without so it won’t be a problem for me. How long does the process usually take to get the surgery? Or is it different for everyone because I have my first appt on Wednesday and I think that’s just to go in and discuss the fact that I am getting the surgery

You'll have a better idea after your consult.

Yeah drug testing is not something I hear/read about prior to WLS. I have read a handful of times of people saying that they were tested for "smoking"...but i dunno what exactly they check for.

Regarding the inhalation of smoke (nicotine or otherwise), the main reason it is not recommended before surgery/anaesthesia is because it may lower heart rate, lower blood pressure, affect breathing or cause heightened airway sensitivity. All not good things to have while under.

With that said, the effects of smoke inhalation is most present in your system up to 24 hours after smoking. So the sooner you stop, the better.

Of course, it is your choice to partake or not, we are all adults here.

Good Luck!

P.S. I wasn't tested for smoking nor drugs.

Edited by ms.sss

13 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

The legal age for purchase and possession is 21 and you best check what reporting requirements medical professionals have, or if there are any liability issues for them if they become aware of this illegal activity.  I don't have a clue, but these would be the things I would check.

Your doctor will NOT "report you" for illegal drug use of any kind. Medical confidentiality makes it illegal for them to do so. The only situation in which doctors can break medical confidentiality is if there is concern about someone seriously harming themselves or others.

2 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Your doctor will NOT "report you" for illegal drug use of any kind. Medical confidentiality makes it illegal for them to do so. The only situation in which doctors can break medical confidentiality is if there is concern about someone seriously harming themselves or others.

As I said immediately after the part you quoted "I don't have a clue, but these would be the things I would check."

Here's why: I don't know where the OP lives, if it's even in the USA. I don't know drug law in every locale in the world but I do know different countries handle drugs vastly differently. We don't know the OPs legal status. States themselves have different reporting requirements for minors and/or dependents and/or wards of the state and/or people of diminished capacity. We know diddly about the OP.

There is so much that we don't know that *I* would NOT presume to make a blanket statement.

Edited by The Greater Fool

On 3/8/2021 at 1:06 PM, hbwk8 said:

You should quit for a good while, at least a month, before surgery simply because using weed isn't going to be feasible for quite some time after surgery and you don't want to be dealing with the initial cravings of quitting while you're also dealing with surgery recovery. This is from someone well versed in these matters. You just don't want to have to go through that and risk injuring yourself.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:06 PM, hbwk8 said:

I was honest with my doctor about light weed use (1-2/week, sometimes edibles, sometimes flower, but very little at a time). In order to not get denied by insurance, I had to tell my insurance coordinator that I was quitting. She wrote down the date I quit, and then I had to go in for a drug test 90 days later. I am under the impression that I will need to be drug tested once more before my surgery.

One of the reasons they gave me for this is because they need to demonstrate that I'm not a smoker before they will sign off on surgery, and the other reason is that marijuana is an appetite stimulant and the insurance company needs to see that marijuana isn't the cause of my morbid obesity and inability to lose weight on my own (lol -- as if).

I am under the impression that if I had lied, as I'm sure many people do, about taking marijuana sometimes, I would not have been drug tested. But different doctors likely have varying policies. And, regardless, you have to make sure you're in a place where you're ready to never smoke again. What is unclear to me after attempts to research is what negative effects, if any, could come from edible forms of THC. It really seems like smoking specifically is the problem, but I am not a scientist.

Good luck!

Edited by muala94

Some docs do and some don't. But if you smoke it... (or intake in other ways), best to be honest with the doc in the beginning. They will let you know if it will disqualify you from surgery. They will also probably give you a chance to quit it. I do know that most have a requirement to quit smoking.