Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have got to stop weighing everyday!

I am not sure if I am expecting to get on the scales and see a 5# weight loss one morning from the day before or what but I can't stay off the scales. I have got to go to once a week!

I know the feeling. My Dr. asked if I was crazy in a joking but not really way. Myself... I step on the scale on Wednesday and Saturday.

as long as you can deal with weight fluctuations, which you'll probably start seeing soon, there's nothing wrong with weighing yourself every day. Weight fluctuations screw with a lot of people's heads, though - even though they know that as long as they're sticking to their program, the minor fluctuations are due to changing Water levels, water retention, Constipation, etc. For people who are bothered by them, yes - once a week is probably better.

Because I was too large for weighing on a normal scale I didn't know my actual weight until I went for my first appointment with the surgeon. During the whole process I could only weigh at my Doc's office and post-op it was on my monthly follow-ups. It was amazingly freeing. I didn't, couldn't, allow the scale to impact my progress, my attitude, or my program. I just worked my program.

At about 7-8 months post-op I hit the milestone of being able to weigh on a home scale. But, because I have moderately severe OCD I could see myself weighing all the time, so I purposely stayed off of it, still just waiting for monthly follow-ups. When the follow-ups ended I only weighed at my annual physicals.

Those first 7-8 months set my program as my new normal. I just did it with little outside feedback except for the monthly weigh-in which was a terrific positive feedback. I never had [or was aware of] that early stall that freaks so many people out and tempts them to adjust the program because the scale didn't move or moved the wrong way. I was never aware of any stalls so was never tempted to change my program.

Everyone has their path to success. Follow YOUR program not ours.

Edited by The Greater Fool
Missed an 'h' in last line.

I used to weigh multiple times a day. Drove myself nuts.

Now, it's once a week. Monday morning when I get up, stark naked. After I pee, before my first cup of coffee. LOL.

2 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

Because I was too large for weighing on a normal scale I didn't know my actual weight until I went for my first appointment with the surgeon. During the whole process I could only weigh at my Doc's office and post-op it was on my monthly follow-ups. It was amazingly freeing. I didn't, couldn't, allow the scale to impact my progress, my attitude, or my program. I just worked my program.

At about 7-8 months post-op I hit the milestone of being able to weigh on a home scale. But, because I have moderately severe OCD I could see myself weighing all the time, so I purposely stayed off of it, still just waiting for monthly follow-ups. When the follow-ups ended I only weighed at my annual physicals.

Those first 7-8 months set my program as my new normal. I just did it with little outside feedback except for the monthly weigh-in which was a terrific positive feedback. I never had [or was aware of] that early stall that freaks so many people out and tempts them to adjust the program because the scale didn't move or moved the wrong way. I was never aware of any stalls so was never tempted to change my program.

Everyone has their path to success. Follow YOUR program not ours.

I am weighing multiple times a day. I have to be losing weigfht but the scale is not moving!

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

I used to weigh multiple times a day. Drove myself nuts.

Now, it's once a week. Monday morning when I get up, stark naked. After I pee, before my first cup of coffee. LOL.

Sounds like a good idea. I need to take the battery out of the scale!

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

as long as you can deal with weight fluctuations, which you'll probably start seeing soon, there's nothing wrong with weighing yourself every day. Weight fluctuations screw with a lot of people's heads, though - even though they know that as long as they're sticking to their program, the minor fluctuations are due to changing Water levels, Water retention, constipation, etc. For people who are bothered by them, yes - once a week is probably better.

I CAN"T deal with it. It is making me crazy!

As someone who has had three LONG stalls, back to back, I still weigh every day...I just only record the drops below previous recorded weight. Otherwise, it's up 1 pound, down 1 pound, up 2 pounds, down 1 pound (ugh), up 1 pound, down 4 pounds...hit record, 2 pounds down!

As i'm aware of my own OCD and psychosis, if i weigh in once or twice a week it feels more manageable and more sane. "Oh, i'm up a lb this week, i'll take a closer look at my intake and exercise".

I actually went up by 2lbs on a Wednesday then when I weighed back in on Saturday, i was down 5. I may even go back to Saturday morning weigh ins only.

Anything more will make me even nuttier than I already am. 😁

8 minutes ago, David_L said:

As i'm aware of my own OCD and psychosis, if i weigh in once or twice a week it feels more manageable and more sane. "Oh, i'm up a lb this week, i'll take a closer look at my intake and exercise".

I actually went up by 2lbs on a Wednesday then when I weighed back in on Saturday, i was down 5. I may even go back to Saturday morning weigh ins only.

Anything more will make me even nuttier than I already am. 😁

Yep...I'm losing it. Waiting to pee before I have my shake so i can get on the scales!

I've always weighed every day that I'm home or at my parents' house. I accept that there are variations and it doesn't bother me; I'm not a perfectionist. I find it keeps me accountable. I look for trends (this may be because I'm trained in statistics; one outlier does not a trend make). But I know not everyone is like that and we all have to do what works for me. Do I feel good when the weight is higher than the day before? No, but it doesn't bother me much.

I have been weighing everyday and it takes like four of five days to lose a pound but I always go up a pound before I go down two. At first it bothered me but it happens almost every time so now I’m excited to go up one cause I know that means I will be lower the next day.

On 3/4/2021 at 11:00 AM, Tim C said:
On 3/4/2021 at 8:30 AM, The Greater Fool said:

I am weighing multiple times a day.

I weigh myself almost every time I use the bathroom! Lol! I was going to slow down but I actually think it helps me to see my weight flunctuate. It helps me paint a deeper picture then if I were to weigh in once a week. Especially when I am up a pound or 2 because I know that it's not really true. I like to average out my loss in my head. It would be more devastating to do a weekly check up and see my weight go up when it could just be a high Water retention day or something. For me to actually consider it weight gain, I tell myself the number has to stay up for at least three days (I do the same with loss). That helps me not go crazy.

Sorry...posted twice and can't figure out how to delete a comment...

Edited by XtinaDoesIt