Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking & Eating at the same time

How long will it take to be able to drink, and eat at the same time? I am so sick of waiting for 30 minutes before and after. Sometimes when I eat, the food gets stuck, and I need to drink, but I am scared to. I am almost 6 months post op.

I'm told forever.

Officially....forever. This is the one rule I just hated. I need to drink when I eat. The idea is to not wash stuff through your stomach so fast that you overeat. Also, pushing stuff into your small intestine before it's had any chance to digest in your stomach can give you some digestive upset.

In an ideal world...you should follow the rule, and follow it forever.

That said....I couldn't follow it for more than a few weeks before I gave up and had small amounts of fluids with meals. It's not gonna kill you, but it can make it a lot easier to overeat. If you're watching your calories and limit the amount you drink, you'll probably be ok.

But yeah...if you're looking for a full sensation to help you establish meal times....drinking with meals will inhibit that and feeling empty can lead to overeating and eating too many times a day.

I kinda prefer multiple little tiny meals with fluids....but I do have to count calories, or I can easily end up overeating.

How long will it take to be able to drink, and eat at the same time? I am so sick of waiting for 30 minutes before and after. Sometimes when I eat, the food gets stuck, and I need to drink, but I am scared to. I am almost 6 months post op.

If anything gets stuck, I have a sip and deal with a tiny amount of discomfort and it sorts itself out.

The three women I know who had WLS ten years ago all drink and eat at the same time. Their WL results differ dramatically: one remains at 125 lbs., one gained 40 lbs. back, and the third gained all her weight back and is now about 240 lbs.

I'm 1 1/2 years out and still drink about 20-30 minutes after eating. However, if I eat something that is very dry, I will take a couple of sips of my drink right after swallowing.

Hello, my sleeve was in July 2018. This rule I follow. If by chance you get something stuck and need a small sip but I do t divert from what they told me. A large part of success if listening to the rules they set up for you to be successful. There are reasons for all of it. I was a HUGE drink w a meal person before sleeve surgery. It was an adjustment to get use to it but now I don’t even think about the fact that I don’t drink during a meal. You will get used to it. What do they say “21 days makes a habit “
I wish you well!

Thanks everyone. I literally for the first time, had a sip of Water while eating yesterday. I had to because the food was dry, and I started coughing a lot. I was scared, and did not know what to expect, but I was fine after. I certainly wouldn't gulp anything down while eating. Knowing, if I have to take a sip isn't going to make me sick makes me feel a whole lot better.

15 minutes ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

Thanks everyone. I literally for the first time, had a sip of Water while eating yesterday. I had to because the food was dry, and I started coughing a lot. I was scared, and did not know what to expect, but I was fine after. I certainly wouldn't gulp anything down while eating. Knowing, if I have to take a sip isn't going to make me sick makes me feel a whole lot better.

Yea. Its a tough rule to follow. I always drank while eating. I think most people do.

9 hours ago, bufbills said:

Yea. Its a tough rule to follow. I always drank while eating. I think most people do.

Did you do it right after surgery? When were you able to do it at the same time without feeling full, or sick?

13 minutes ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

Did you do it right after surgery? When were you able to do it at the same time without feeling full, or sick?

I'm sorry. I was referring to before surgery. I cant do it now. One accidental sip while eating, will ruin a meal. I'll miss having a cold beer and a cheeseburger, for sure.