Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do i get enough protein and still enjoy fruits and vegetables?

On Monday I get to start eating whole fruits, vegetables, and meats. I've already been eating chicken thighs that were not ground, but no other whole foods. I really despise Protein Drinks, but it's the only way I can get a good amount of Protein in. How do y'all do it? I can't eat more than a half cup, and I feel uncomfortable when I eat that much, so I usually leave it at 1/4 to 1/3 cup. I want to eat veggies, a banana, an orange, but if I fill up on any one of those, there's no room for protein, and if I eat the protein first, there's no room for anything else. I'm seeing the dietician on Monday, and I hope she'll have some good suggestions, and I welcome any advice you folks have, too.

Sent from my SM-T710 using BariatricPal mobile app

On Monday I get to start eating whole fruits, vegetables, and meats. I've already been eating chicken thighs that were not ground, but no other whole foods. I really despise Protein Drinks, but it's the only way I can get a good amount of Protein in. How do y'all do it? I can't eat more than a half cup, and I feel uncomfortable when I eat that much, so I usually leave it at 1/4 to 1/3 cup. I want to eat veggies, a banana, an orange, but if I fill up on any one of those, there's no room for Protein, and if I eat the protein first, there's no room for anything else. I'm seeing the dietician on Monday, and I hope she'll have some good suggestions, and I welcome any advice you folks have, too.

I was watching some good videos about smoothies and overnight oats. A good way to add in your Protein Powder, veges and fruits. Only if you like them(smoothies and overnight oats) ofcourse.

Sent from my SM-N960F using BariatricPal mobile app

I am only just now getting to the point where I can eat a little fruit or veggies and still hit my Protein target. I'm almost two years out from surgery and for most of that time, I had exactly the same dilemma as you - everything I ate had to be high in protein or I'd run out of room before getting enough in. I can now eat a bit more than I could before, so now I can eat half an apple or half a peach at some point in the day. One thing I did early on is that I would add a few berries to my yogurt. That way I got the protein from the yogurt and still had a taste of fruit. Recently I cooked a sweet potato and had about half a cup and that was yummy. You'll be able to eat more over time and then you can reintroduce veggies and fruit without sacrificing protein.

I am only just now getting to the point where I can eat a little fruit or veggies and still hit my Protein target. I'm almost two years out from surgery and for most of that time, I had exactly the same dilemma as you - everything I ate had to be high in Protein or I'd run out of room before getting enough in. I can now eat a bit more than I could before, so now I can eat half an apple or half a peach at some point in the day. One thing I did early on is that I would add a few berries to my yogurt. That way I got the protein from the yogurt and still had a taste of fruit. Recently I cooked a sweet potato and had about half a cup and that was yummy. You'll be able to eat more over time and then you can reintroduce veggies and fruit without sacrificing protein.

Dang! That's scary! Almost two years out! I miss having a regular meal: protein, vegetables, starch. I don't miss being 130lbs overweight though. I guess there are trade off everywhere.

I can eat a small piece of fresh fruit in the morning, very slowly, and still have my morning Protein Shake. I have trouble doing fruit with lunch or dinner. Sometimes I can do a very small clementine as a snack.

I eat my Protein and a bite or two of veggies at meals and will have my fruit as a snack. I'm just about to eat a pear as my evening snack. I'm almost 7 months post procedure.

When I first started adding vegetables, I was only eating a small cauliflower floret or 1 or 2 green Beans or a dessertspoon of steamed cabbage. I added a small amount of fruit as an afternoon or after dinner snack. Get your Protein in first then eat the vegetables if you can.

As @Jaelzion said over time you will be able to eat more. I have fruit/vegetables 4 times a day now. Blueberries on my rolled oats, salad for lunch, vegetables with dinner, some fruit after dinner. Yes, the serving portions are less than the recommended size but are pretty close.

Take it slowly. It does take time to work out how to get a balanced diet that is right for you but you’ll get there. Make yourself a smoothie on high protein yoghurt, milk, fruit, add some soluble fibre & sip it all day. You’ll get extra protein, some fibre & some fruit plus it contributes to your Fluid intake.

I agree with this thread. I have just started eating soft Proteins but I am starting to think if I will ever be able to have a balanced diet again. I too am hating the Protein powders but there is not much that tastes good to me right now. I need the weight to keep dropping and I think it will be worth it but I had such a focus on balanced nutrition before this I feel like my mind is having trouble being ok with the minimal variety I can tolerate.