Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The flu and wanting carbs or to eat more calories HELP

So, it's been almost a year since surgery. I am down 135lbs. However I just got the flu. I feel like trash I am craving carbs which i havent done. Last three days I've been eating 1400 calories when I nornally do 1100. I've been eating low fat wheat thins, and some other crackers/low calorie toast. I have about 100 carbs a day, but last 3 days have been about 200grams maybe 250 grams. I havent lost anything which is okay. I had the diarrhea for 3 days straight and have been eating pepto chews so I'm sure I'm backed up till Christmas at that rate. I talked to my surgeon since we can call whenever. She said just breath and take care of myself my body is craving carbs for most likely a health and need reason not a binge reason. I've been taking dayquil since this morning and I've been sleeping a lot. Which I feel I desperately need but am reluctant to sleep in. (Old depression with sleeping till 3pm while obese I dont want seasonal depression this year.) Besides this cold I've been doing amazing. I am 15lbs ahead of schedule from what they wanted in a year. I just dont want this cold to become a common binge of carbs so it scares the hell out of me. Anyone else go through the flu and ate more carbs than normal? I need some other peoples stories to help me realize I'm not failing I'm just trying to survive the fly. Love you all by the way ❤️

The best thing for you right now would be some really good Bone Broth, make a nice Soup. I've made my own bone broth using turkey bones. But you can get bone broth Soups these days too. Kettle & fire makes a high quality bone broth. Maybe mix in a little pumpkin purée to thicken it. I understand craving toast and crackers when sick. There are some low carb options with Protein in them like great low carb bread company. I think it's more about finding something to settle your stomach than a craving, and needing that salt for the electrolytes balance. Dealing with lifelong chronic illness I've had to find other ways to cope without the carbs. Because I've got metabolic disorders and can't exercise. Although you can get protein crisps and bars that might be easier on your stomach without extra carbs or sugar. I eat a Protein Bar with tea for Breakfast for that reason.

I know we tell ourselves to allow certain habits back in because we are sick. I can't tell you what is right or wrong only what I do myself. As long as you are aware and take care and learn healthy habits for when you get sick things will be fine. Some people do ok with some carbs sometimes. I didn't allow leeway until I was in maintenance. Every persons journey is different. I learned the hard way that for me personally every time I had surgery or got sick I'd fall into a carb addiction. Because my stomach and body just wanted bland saltine crackers and chicken noodle soup. Now I just approach it differently.

I say if a few carbs helps you get better go for it - Being Not sick is better the being sick without carbs! ok guys I coined the phrase so you all can not use it without paying royalties

I kind of had to learn by trial and error what works for me and what doesn't. I learned that I can have chicken noodle Soup and it does still make me feel better when I'm sick. But crackers are not a good idea for me because I'll eat the whole bag, LOL. I can eat some rice when I'm feeling sick, but bread is a no-go. I typically eat more fruit than normal when I have the flu (I don't know why but cold fruit is so good when I'm sick). Sure that pushes my carbs up a bit but I'm okay with that temporarily. I think over time you'll figure out what you can do to feel better without kicking off massive cravings.

I had COVID last week and all I could eat without getting sick to my stomach were carbs. I managed to drink one Protein Shake and one Protein bar every day, but anytime I tried to eat something normal with meat or a vegetable, I could eat maybe a bite or two before I felt sick. I did manage to keep down some crackers and a few chips or some things I wouldn't otherwise want to eat. Fortunately, the total quantity was still pretty low and I still lost weight (actually dropped 5 lbs last week).

I'm trying not to stress about it, but I certainly don't want this to be a habit when my appetite returns to normal.

When I am sick I like the noodle Soup in chicken broth that Lipton makes- red box. As long as you dont have salt restrictions and are able to get fluids in, then I would allow a little extra carb wise when sick. Hope you are feeling better!

On 12/04/2020 at 16:38, Maryalice717 said:

So, it's been almost a year since surgery. I am down 135lbs. However I just got the flu. I feel like trash I am craving carbs which i havent done. Last three days I've been eating 1400 calories when I nornally do 1100. I've been eating low fat wheat thins, and some other crackers/low calorie toast. I have about 100 carbs a day, but last 3 days have been about 200grams maybe 250 grams. I havent lost anything which is okay. I had the diarrhea for 3 days straight and have been eating pepto chews so I'm sure I'm backed up till Christmas at that rate. I talked to my surgeon since we can call whenever. She said just breath and take care of myself my body is craving carbs for most likely a health and need reason not a binge reason. I've been taking dayquil since this morning and I've been sleeping a lot. Which I feel I desperately need but am reluctant to sleep in. (Old depression with sleeping till 3pm while obese I dont want seasonal depression this year.) Besides this cold I've been doing amazing. I am 15lbs ahead of schedule from what they wanted in a year. I just dont want this cold to become a common binge of carbs so it scares the hell out of me. Anyone else go through the flu and ate more carbs than normal? I need some other peoples stories to help me realize I'm not failing I'm just trying to survive the fly. Love you all by the way ❤️

If your sick and craving carbs, I’d put a serving size (4-5) whole wheat or whole grain crackers in a Soup. If you have someone to help you, I’d be asking for home made chicken/veggie soup. If you want an instapot recipe I make my own, I just don’t know if I’d feel like making my own if sick. Also cottage cheese and triple 0 Greek yogurts help me when I feel like I NEED carbs. I wouldn’t stress about being perfect while recovering. Get some Gatorade zero, add some yummy crackers, diet cranberry juice and Netflix until better. Hope your feeling better soon 💕

I recently had a hernia repair surgery and I was so sick those first few days and could only stomach bland carbs like crackers and toast. It’s not the flu but I know what you mean with wanting the carbs to feel better.

Especially with the diarrhea it might be good to stick with the BRAT diet until it gets better just try adding some Protein Powder in to stay up on Protein. Maybe try some of the old standbys from the purée and soft food stages like ricotta bake or refried Beans.

Hope you feel better soon.