Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Health has to come first! No more excuses! I have held it off for ten years!

I am in the getting close to my bariatric surgery! I am feeling excited, nervous! I just have so many feelings I can’t describe.
So here is my story… my surgery will be in December and although some might think it is the worse time to get it done because of all the food and Festivities that are happening around that time, I see it as the perfect time because during the holiday seasons it is when I see everything so nice, warm and I am truly happy, with all the festivities. I start being thankful starting with Thanksgiving, on Christmas the same I count my blessings and on New Year’s I take inventory of all of my family and my successes always hopeful for the New Year that awaits! Life cannot be any more perfect…… but the reality is that it can be! If I would just lose my damn weight! That is why this is the perfect time because of New Year I always see it as a time to let go of the old and in with the new! This time it will be a New me!
Other feelings I have are of letting my family down and myself for not having the willpower, not being able to do it on my own, and now left to having to do this surgery as my last resort. it is overwhelmingly exciting and nerve wrecking as I first noted. At the moment I feel that I am ready, but am I? That is why I am here in this bariatric group website I want to see others success story. I want to make online friends with others who have success stories and weight issues same as me, that I can relate. I also want to finally get the backbone I need to go through with this life changing surgery, as I have heard and seen from others. I am hoping I can also be motivation and help others I plan to make it a life goal to help others who have the same exact fears as I do, to make them feel more at ease because as far as the way I feel right now I get adrenaline rush just the thought because I do want to do this surgery because entering 2021 I want to be able to welcome the new me.
I don’t have many friends I can talk to regarding my fat issues because it is so very personal and I don’t know how confidential it would be. Plus I been threw a lot of fat shaming done by people I know and I always want to be seen as strong and unaffected but I am very much affected. If there is another reason to get this surgery done other than the many amazing health benefits and longevity, and having a complete circle as far as my happiness, it is to shut all the haters and fat shamers up. The number one reason still remains always Definitely my family, myself above all!

Congratulations on making the decision to have surgery! I also had my surgery in December, and it worked out perfectly!! I wouldn't have changed a thing!

Best of luck to you, and I can't wait to follow your journey!

It seems you are already off to a good start with your positive attitude. I wish you the best!

1 hour ago, 2021NewMe said:

I am in the getting close to my bariatric surgery! I am feeling excited, nervous! I just have so many feelings I can’t describe.
So here is my story… my surgery will be in December and although some might think it is the worse time to get it done because of all the food and Festivities that are happening around that time, I see it as the perfect time because during the holiday seasons it is when I see everything so nice, warm and I am truly happy, with all the festivities. I start being thankful starting with Thanksgiving, on Christmas the same I count my blessings and on New Year’s I take inventory of all of my family and my successes always hopeful for the New Year that awaits! Life cannot be any more perfect…… but the reality is that it can be! If I would just lose my damn weight! That is why this is the perfect time because of New Year I always see it as a time to let go of the old and in with the new! This time it will be a New me!
Other feelings I have are of letting my family down and myself for not having the willpower, not being able to do it on my own, and now left to having to do this surgery as my last resort. it is overwhelmingly exciting and nerve wrecking as I first noted. At the moment I feel that I am ready, but am I? That is why I am here in this bariatric group website I want to see others success story. I want to make online friends with others who have success stories and weight issues same as me, that I can relate. I also want to finally get the backbone I need to go through with this life changing surgery, as I have heard and seen from others. I am hoping I can also be motivation and help others I plan to make it a life goal to help others who have the same exact fears as I do, to make them feel more at ease because as far as the way I feel right now I get adrenaline rush just the thought because I do want to do this surgery because entering 2021 I want to be able to welcome the new me.
I don’t have many friends I can talk to regarding my fat issues because it is so very personal and I don’t know how confidential it would be. Plus I been threw a lot of fat shaming done by people I know and I always want to be seen as strong and unaffected but I am very much affected. If there is another reason to get this surgery done other than the many amazing health benefits and longevity, and having a complete circle as far as my happiness, it is to shut all the haters and fat shamers up. The number one reason still remains always Definitely my family, myself above all!

I had gastric band in December 12 years ago, and a revision surgery one year later. I just had my bypass last week just in time for holidays. Will I miss turkey this year? Probably.but I will be with my family for the first time in a year. Also ironically I’ve always had a sweet tooth, but since my surgery, I can barely tolerate sweet tasting anything. Even if it is sugar free. You’ll do well.

my way of expressing myself was to do a sketchbook for the Brooklyn art library sketchbook project. That’s been a great outlet for me.

best of luck and positive thoughts to you! 🥰

I had mine December 11th two years ago and it was the perfect time to learn to focus on being with family and not the food. You have a new opportunity to be healthy and it looks like you're embracing it. Good luck with your surgery and keep us updated with your progress.

Edited by GradyCat

@2021NewMe First congrats on making yourself a priority. Know that your thoughts, feelings, and fears have been shared with what i would say is 99% of the people on here. Start by saying i'm now 52, 5'2" and 120lbs. I started this process back November 2009 (right before Thanksgiving) at 232lbs 44bmi with the lapband 14cc. I LOVE MY BAND... she and i had a wonderful relationship. She was the best thing I had done for myself. Like others, I had dieted for years only to lose and then gain it all back plus some. The sense of failure was some days overwhelming. That carried over to the WLS. The thought of failure. With any WLS you have to be 100% committed to the entire process, not just pick and chose what you want to do. It's hard and I still fall short and have weak moments. Like the other night, I ate chips and two cookies... The guilt is real. There are so many inspiring people on this site. I've been here since 2009, on and off. But if you search you will find a lot of people have the same issues as yourself and just having those people is, somedays, everything. BP is my secret place. I don't tell anyone i come here. Makes me feel free to ask questions without feeling embarrassed or judged (although some people can be). I, personally prefer the don't tell anyone route. When i had my band i told nearly everyone and always felt like i was being watched and judged. Like they were waiting for me to fail yet again. In 2017, I had one of my worse days.... i had to have my beloved band removed due to a slip... she was my BF, the absolute one thing in my life i could count on. I did my best to continue eating the way i had for years, but Tina (band) wasn't there to help. Over the next 2.5 years i put back 30lbs and got back up to 173lbs. I had always known i need WLS help, but 1) couldn't find a dr that would do it because of my low bmi... 2) couldn't afford it. But as fate would have it.... My divorce (26 years) property settlement was final and i finally found a dr that would do the revision..... So Sept. 28, 2019 at 173lbs and 14k in hand... I revised to the sleeve. Only my husband knows. I didn't tell anyone, not my kids, family, friends, co workers.... and this is sooooo much better.

My org size was a 18-20.... down to a 6, then up to a 10-12..... Now I'm a size 0-2

Good to see you are going at this full blown! F@#ck the holidays THIS IS YOUR TIME NOT HOLIDAY TIME!

Good luck and enjoy joining us - Heck to me this would be the best gift in the world beats a fruit cake

21 hours ago, Mr Alley Gator said:

Good to see you are going at this full blown! F@#ck the holidays THIS IS YOUR TIME NOT HOLIDAY TIME!

Good luck and enjoy joining us - Heck to me this would be the best gift in the world beats a fruit cake

I have been putting myself last for years, it's always everyone and everything first but I am no good if I dont have my health to enjoy it, eventually I would break down like a car with no maintenance. that is so me. It is true this is the best gift for Christmas!

On 11/18/2020 at 5:58 AM, BayougirlMrsS said:

@2021NewMe First congrats on making yourself a priority. Know that your thoughts, feelings, and fears have been shared with what i would say is 99% of the people on here. Start by saying i'm now 52, 5'2" and 120lbs. I started this process back November 2009 (right before Thanksgiving) at 232lbs 44bmi with the lapband 14cc. I LOVE MY BAND... she and i had a wonderful relationship. She was the best thing I had done for myself. Like others, I had dieted for years only to lose and then gain it all back plus some. The sense of failure was some days overwhelming. That carried over to the WLS. The thought of failure. With any WLS you have to be 100% committed to the entire process, not just pick and chose what you want to do. It's hard and I still fall short and have weak moments. Like the other night, I ate chips and two cookies... The guilt is real. There are so many inspiring people on this site. I've been here since 2009, on and off. But if you search you will find a lot of people have the same issues as yourself and just having those people is, somedays, everything. BP is my secret place. I don't tell anyone i come here. Makes me feel free to ask questions without feeling embarrassed or judged (although some people can be). I, personally prefer the don't tell anyone route. When i had my band i told nearly everyone and always felt like i was being watched and judged. Like they were waiting for me to fail yet again. In 2017, I had one of my worse days.... i had to have my beloved band removed due to a slip... she was my BF, the absolute one thing in my life i could count on. I did my best to continue eating the way i had for years, but Tina (band) wasn't there to help. Over the next 2.5 years i put back 30lbs and got back up to 173lbs. I had always known i need WLS help, but 1) couldn't find a dr that would do it because of my low bmi... 2) couldn't afford it. But as fate would have it.... My divorce (26 years) property settlement was final and i finally found a dr that would do the revision..... So Sept. 28, 2019 at 173lbs and 14k in hand... I revised to the sleeve. Only my husband knows. I didn't tell anyone, not my kids, family, friends, co workers.... and this is sooooo much better.

My org size was a 18-20.... down to a 6, then up to a 10-12..... Now I'm a size 0-2

you have been a member since 2009 I wish I would have joined this site years ago! I would not feel so alone on this that I am trying to do. I admire that you took all that money and invested it in yourself! I invest the least in myself and that is why I think I am in this struggle with my weight. this will be the most biggest choice and investment that I have made for myself in my lifetime. I know insurance covers 80% only because the deductible has not been met yet but it is worth it my health. I do like that I can make it a secret place like you said and just be able to not be judged. I love that you have a relationship with you band and named her tina! that is so awesome that you make it your own personal journey and have fun with it. I want to have fun with my journey also I will try to do like you and not see it so much as a sad, scary failure but a happy, exciting, renewed journey! thank you for your reply!

On 11/18/2020 at 5:44 AM, GradyCat said:

I had mine December 11th two years ago and it was the perfect time to learn to focus on being with family and not the food. You have a new opportunity to be healthy and it looks like you're embracing it. Good luck with your surgery and keep us updated with your progress.

I know this December surgery will be a challenge but you are right, it will be time to focus on family not food. I will focus on the true meaning of Christmas and the Holidays. 🧡

On 11/17/2020 at 7:15 PM, futureshrink said:

I had gastric band in December 12 years ago, and a revision surgery one year later. I just had my bypass last week just in time for holidays. Will I miss turkey this year? Probably.but I will be with my family for the first time in a year. Also ironically I’ve always had a sweet tooth, but since my surgery, I can barely tolerate sweet tasting anything. Even if it is sugar free. You’ll do well.

my way of expressing myself was to do a sketchbook for the Brooklyn art library sketchbook project. That’s been a great outlet for me.

best of luck and positive thoughts to you! 🥰

Omg I think I will be ok on Thanksgiving to eat turkey since my surgery in December but I have to take it easy since they are expecting me to lose weight before surgery. Its funny I am thinking about how I can still eat turkey like have a last feast because it should be all about trying to refocus it is so hard! I am so glad to know that you can barely tolerate anything sweet or sugar free post surgery that is a relief I would hate to go back to my evil ways after this since I tend to get cravings for sweets especially when I see them at the market. I do also have to get a sketchbook or a hobby that can keep my mind busy.

30 minutes ago, 2021NewMe said:

Omg I think I will be ok on Thanksgiving to eat turkey since my surgery in December but I have to take it easy since they are expecting me to lose weight before surgery. Its funny I am thinking about how I can still eat turkey like have a last feast because it should be all about trying to refocus it is so hard! I am so glad to know that you can barely tolerate anything sweet or sugar free post surgery that is a relief I would hate to go back to my evil ways after this since I tend to get cravings for sweets especially when I see them at the market. I do also have to get a sketchbook or a hobby that can keep my mind busy.

I think everyone is right about the holidays and the way that food tastes after surgery. My wife and I just had the sleeve done on 11/11. We won't have Turkey or Christmas dinner this year since we won't be back to full foods at that time. Right now, I don't even think about food the way I did before my surgery. I also agree that there are things I can't stand anymore including Protein waters. One of the items I am working on is to savor and enjoy my food rather than overeat and feel overstuffed. I have heard before and fully believe that the surgery is only a tool that helps 20% with the weight, the other 80% is our mental mind games that we are playing and need to work on. If we don't fix our minds then our eating habits may not change and it can cause us to gain our weight back over time. This is what me and my wife are working on so that we can maintain the weight loss when we get to maintenance weight.

Try to savor your thanksgiving meals and enjoy the family you are with. During the preop diet my wife and I lost 18lbs each so you should still lose weight before surgery. I have watched quite a few youtubers who discuss their weight loss journeys and who continue to help contribute in how to use the surgery to our advantage.

1 hour ago, 2021NewMe said:

I know this December surgery will be a challenge but you are right, it will be time to focus on family not food. I will focus on the true meaning of Christmas and the Holidays. 🧡

I challenged my parents to come up with some ideas that I can have...my dad was disappointed that I can’t have pumpkin pie because it’s a soft food. We had a long conversation about sugar content. But I am going to be so happy to see my parents that food will be a second. 😁