Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spacing between food and protein shake

I have a question. According to my plan I’m not meant to have Snacks (just 3 meals a day) and I need Protein Shakes to meet my daily Protein requirements. So my meals contain food and a Protein Shake. E.g. Breakfast is an egg and a Formulite shake, dinner a small piece of fish and a protein shake etc.

Can I have my breakfast/meal in one hit or do I need to leave 30min between the solid and the Fluid part of the meal?

You are not that far out, and presumably can't eat much per meal as yet, I don't know know you are meant to get all your nutrients in three small meals (hence the shake I guess).

I don't snack but I do have four or five small meals each day.

What did your dietician (or surgeon) say about spacing out a meal that contains a liquid and a solid?

If it were me, I'd have the shake first, wait about 15minutes then have the solid food....but do check in with your dietician (or surgeon) for suggestions given it is their guidelines.

I forgot to mention, if I have a protein/meal replacement shake I use less liquid than required but add a thick greek/natural yoghurt so as the shake is thicker than the usual liquid shake, that way it doesn't go through the stomach as quickly as a liquid.

some dietitians consider Protein Shakes as part of your daily fluids, and some don't. Either way, I always considered them fluids for food/liquid separation purposes.

I have the same plan where I'm supposed to eat three meals per day and no Snacks, but I can have Protein Shakes between meals (and need them to get enough protein). You should probably space out your Protein shakes at least 30 minutes from food, or however long your program says to space out solid food and liquids. Eating and drinking together is generally not advised for bariatric patients, and that includes shakes.

Thank you for your responses. My surgeon and dietitian have said to allow 30min between meals and drinks. At this stage I don’t eat enough so the shakes are essential and form part of my meal. Alternatively I could get my Protein from protein Water which I would have between meals.