Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

15 Years postop, gained but back on track

So, I am nearly 15 years (yes years) postop. I started at 315 and plummeted to 142 within 10 months of surgery. I was super happy but I was also sick. I didn't have energy, I looked sick...but I was SKINNY! For the first time in my adult life, I wore a SMALL! I loved and hated it at the same time. Then I was told to gain weight because due to all the excess skin, I was really underweight and it was NOT healthy for me.

Well, long story short...I can eat pretty much anything and not dump. Then my portions started growing and my snacking came back. I gained, I lost, I gained, I lost...you all know how that goes. I got back up to 230 and was miserable again. I started doing VERY well earlier this year and lost nearly 25 pounds of regain, then COVID-19 struck and has me working from home. This led right back to horrible habits and not as much movement (I didn't even have to walk to my car!).

The company I work for has wonderful programs to help get motion and nutrition back on track. Well, that is if you are able bodied (I have bad knees and am just trying to keep replacements at bay as long as I can) and can eat like a normal person. The PT and nutritionist had me doing things that just didn't work for me...not once but TWICE. I told them over and over I couldn't exercise on my knees nor could I eat the portions they were assigning to me.

Frustrated, I started researching revisions. I found one I was seriously contemplating, regardless of insurance coverage (I was THAT desperate). I was on the verge of calling my GP for a referral when I thought, "What about going back to basics"?

So, about two weeks ago, I found some sites (this is one of them!) with bariatric specific meal plans, food, Vitamins, gadgets, etc. I took the plunge and ordered Protein powders, protein Snacks, Meal Replacements and changed my Vitamin routine to the 1 A Day on here. I bought shaker bottles for my shakes, 15 minute increment Water bottles to make me drink my water (if you knew me, you would know I HATE water), and I also cleared two shelves in my pantry for JUST ME.

It's now been just over a week and I am down 4 pounds. I have so much more energy that my husband was like "who are you and where is my wife"! I have already noticed a difference in some of my clothes - no more dancing routine putting on my yoga pants!

It's not easy, but I have to remember where I was and where I want to be once again!

Sorry this was so long but I started typing and couldn't stop!

How empowering the answers ere always within you. Stay true

Hi, so happy to hear you are back on track, I am a 6 years Vet and had RNY, I have gained back 20 pounds of the 60 pounds that I had lost, due to stress , I have become Vegan now and going back to bad habits, like eating second portions ( I still take my Vitamins and don’t drink at the same time as eating) would love to follow your success and learn how to go back to basics

Tomorrow will finish up week two of 'back to basics' for me. I am drinking 3 bariatric specific Protein Shakes, eating 1 bariatric specific Protein snack and 1 bariatric specific protein lunch and then I eat a sensible homecooked dinner focusing on eating protein first and if I am still hungry, vegetables. I have found that the amount I can eat has drastically reduced itself over the course of these past two weeks, and quickly. I feel full most of the time and when I start feeling hungry, it's time to eat/drink. I found a program on another website, which I will not name due to the possible conflict of interest. They also sell items and while they are 'okay', they are not the best tasting...which led me to this site. I am due some items from the shop here tomorrow and I am hoping for better flavor. However, I have already lost close to 4 pounds and I feel great.

If you would like me to share more specifics, I can send a personal message (of course that is if we can because I'm new here and don't know lol).

Congrats to you for being back on track! I just got back on track two weeks ago, down 4 lbs, after having said "What the hell!" and eaten all the wrong stuff (cookies and chocolate) since March with COVID. But I'm back on this forum and committed to focusing on why I had the surgery in the first place. Nobody ever said it would be easy or permanent after surgery . . . it's a lifelong battle. But at least we're equipped with help (smaller stomachs) and tools of knowledge of what to eat and what not to eat going forward. Good luck!