Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beyond scared and nervous

My surgery is in two days and I just received my negative covid test results which meant it’s officially feeling “real” to me. I’ve been on my liquid diet for two weeks and am getting so scared and nervous. Scared to death, actually. I’ve never had surgery before so that’s probably contributing to my nerves. Im sure surgery will go fine, but I’m most scared of the pain post-op and the recovery time/process. I’ve been reading everyone’s post-op stories and I hope I’m strong enough for this.

Everyone's post op story will be different, mine was relatively easy, no gas pain, some discomfort around the incision sites and for about two to three weeks sleeping was awkward as was getting in and out of bed, for a day or so when I first took a sip of Fluid my stomach would cramp or tense up (only lasted seconds).

I am nearly 58 and before my VSG I had never had surgery or spent a night in hospital. I was fine, complications are not the norm. In hospital you will be on IV fluids to ensure proper hydration, through the drip they can also put pain or anti cramping meds. Get up as much as you can to walk about. Staff will check your urine output levels to make sure you are properly hydrated as well as checking that you are passing wind.

My surgeon made sure I could cope with fluids even thicker fluids like ensure Protein Drinks before I was allowed to leave the hospital.

We are stronger than we think, we do want we have to to get through, and you will too.

Our mind is a powerful tool, what we think is our perception becomes our belief. If you think its going to be a painful process or a long recovery it may well turn into that, but it doesn't need to be that if your body is not necessarily feeling the pain it should be or you are recovering well. Turn those negative thoughts to positive thoughts, and you may just have a real positive process and recovery.

You’ve worked so hard to get to this moment right now. You can do this and it will be okay!

That said, everyone has different pain tolerances and your doctor is there to help you so doing be afraid to ask for something if you need it.

It was my first surgery too. Don't be scared - it will be fine. You will have pain medicine to help alleviate the pain. In fact, I only used my pain medicine for the first three days after I got home from the hospital. Sure the first few weeks are uncomfortable, but not bad.

Getting the sleeve is one of the best decisions I've made in my life.

You got this! You can do this! 💪

pain is all across the board, but just so you know, most people seem to have little to no pain with this surgery. I had virtually none and didn't even bother opening the bottle of pain killers they sent me home with. Recovery in general was easy, too. Even if you're one of the minority who has pain with this, they WILL send you home with pain pills to manage it. Just take them on schedule to keep on top of it.

I'm set to have surgery in November. My mother works in preop at the hospital where I will be having my procedure. She told me that if your nerves are too bad the day of surgery, they can give you something there to help you calm down. And my surgeon has told me that the pain is different for everyone, but one thing that helps most patients is to stay ahead of the pain. Don't wait until you are hurting to take your pain medication. Just anticipate the pain and take the meds!! Best of luck to you