Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing weight... gaining height?

In the last several years, I have shrunk from 5'10" to 5'8.5" (it won't let you put half inches on here, so I am listed as 5'8")... I am wondering if, when I lose the weight, I will gain that 1.5" back? Has anyone experienced this?

I would think probably not - but then maybe there are some circumstances where you might? Do you know what caused the shrinkage? I've lost heighth - but I'm 60 years old. It's not coming back for me, unfortunately 😞

51 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I would think probably not - but then maybe there are some circumstances where you might? Do you know what caused the shrinkage? I've lost heighth - but I'm 60 years old. It's not coming back for me, unfortunately 😞

I have no idea what caused it. Possibly a disc issue? Haven't been checked for that, but I've had chronic back pain for years. I just was telling everyone I was 5'10" as usual, then went to a new doctor, and she measured me at 5'8.5"... Same thing at the surgeon's office. I'm under 50, and "shrunk" several years ago.

Probably not getting the height back. I've lost 2 inches, BUT it increased my BMI and helped me qualify for surgery! There's always a silver lining. :)

I agree with Manyloves...some of it could be shrinking feet! Has your shoe size changed? In my thinner days years ago I wore a 5 1/2-6, after pregnancy 6-6 1/2, with weight gain 7 1/2-8 and now back down to 6 1/2-7. It's not bad enough we have to buy all new clothes several times on the way down but we have buy new shoes too! I finally ordered all new appropriate size underwear after my plastic surgery. I had to draw the line somewhere so I wore baggy underwear for a long time.

2 hours ago, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

I agree with Manyloves...some of it could be shrinking feet! Has your shoe size changed? In my thinner days years ago I wore a 5 1/2-6, after pregnancy 6-6 1/2, with weight gain 7 1/2-8 and now back down to 6 1/2-7. It's not bad enough we have to buy all new clothes several times on the way down but we have buy new shoes too! I finally ordered all new appropriate size underwear after my plastic surgery. I had to draw the line somewhere so I wore baggy underwear for a long time.

😅I’m still at the baggy underwear stage, and love it! Lol. Ahhh, simple pleasures. Pre-op I would never, ever put panties in the dryer...now, I have to shrink them all I can and still baggy. Trying to get closer to goal before buying new ones. I inwardly smile and Celebrate my baggie panties!🤩💃

7 hours ago, MsMocie said:

You probably gonna loose a little more height - this is just an odd thing with WLS. My shoe size went 2 sizes down, so only figures that some height might drop as well.

The drop in height prior I think is from posture.

My shoe size hasn't changed (other than while pregnant) since I was in my 20s. My feet don't look... fat? I dunno...I think if you took a pic of just my feet, you wouldn't know I was fat. 😊

Maybe I'll try starting to do some yoga or something. I KNOW I've definitely lost flexibility over the years.

Same with my feet! It hasn't changed in a long time. Though I didn't measure my height before and after I've lost some pounds... I had no idea the height also changes when you lose weight.