Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Simple Ways to Gain Your Weight Back

I had gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago. I was incredibly determined and managed to lose 180 lbs. in a year's time. I'm 5' 9.5" and I went from a size 28 to a size 10. Now, I've regained a lot of weight and I'm starting over. I thought it might be helpful to list the steps that caused my weight gain. My goal is to tackle these 6 and starting moving in the right direction. Does anyone else have additional things that contributed to regaining weight?

1. Stop weighing yourself
  2. Stop tracking your food intake
  3. Stop exercising
  4. Drink liquids with meals and ignore the 15 minutes before/30 minutes after rule
  5. Start eating your old favorite foods
  6. Stop visiting Bariatric Pal forums

#7 Drinking Alcohol

1 hour ago, CharlotteKat said:

I had gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago. I was incredibly determined and managed to lose 180 lbs. in a year's time. I'm 5' 9.5" and I went from a size 28 to a size 10. Now, I've regained a lot of weight and I'm starting over. I thought it might be helpful to list the steps that caused my weight gain. My goal is to tackle these 6 and starting moving in the right direction. Does anyone else have additional things that contributed to regaining weight?

1. Stop weighing yourself
  2. Stop tracking your food intake
  3. Stop exercising
  4. Drink liquids with meals and ignore the 15 minutes before/30 minutes after rule
  5. Start eating your old favorite foods
  6. Stop visiting Bariatric Pal forums

Welcome back.

I understand your pain and frustration. You are well on the road to getting and staying on track by taking an inventory of your mistakes. Keep up the good work.

We all have our methods for keeping ourselves on our path, and while we may each be different in the details, the path is the same: To do what we need to do to get/keep ourselves healthy.

We are here to support you in any way we can.

38 minutes ago, mattk53 said:

#7 Drinking Alcohol

Yeah, another on the list of things that can become problems.

Many of these things often begin with "just this time." If we can manage "just this time" and it really is just this time, no harm no foul. We just need to be careful that it doesn't become "just one more time", then "just this week", until you stop thinking about it.

It's never too late to return to your successful habits. You can do it. Really.

Good luck.

Tek

I like the “do drink” with meals. I’m 2 wks PO and always told this is no-no. Thanks for lending your experience!

Update - I have lost 3lbs. since my post last week. The 2 biggest things that have helped me get back on track is observing the 15 minutes before/30 minutes after meal rule for liquids and tracking all of my food on MyFitnessPal. Exercise is next on my to do list now that I've gotten the food situation under control.

- starting out with a non-sustainable diet and/or exercise routine

- not making yourself familiar with "flexible control"

When I stop getting my Water and daily I know I’m on the slope. Best and returning to your successful habits