Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone go into surgery alone?

I am just wondering if anyone had surgery alone with no family/friends there with you on surgery day? I am getting nervous about my upcoming surgery and won’t have anyone there at all. Is that really out of the ordinary? Will my surgeon and the nurses think it’s odd? Will I be okay without that moral support? Or am I worrying for nothing?

Hi,

I did. I took an Uber to the hospital and was alone. My surgeon called my mother (lives out of state) after the surgery to let her know how I was, and I had a friend pick me up the next day and bring me home. If any of the surgeons/nurses thought it was odd they didn't say anything.

I was good. I got checked in and changed into my surgical gear. They took my bag and saved it in the recovery room so it would be available when I was ready to head up to my room after. I did get really nervous in the pre-op room when I was waiting (I was the 2nd surgery of the day), but they gave me something which calmed me down.

The one piece of advice I'd give is see if you can keep your phone with you in pre-op. It is really boring without something to do or someone to talk to and I think that's part of why I got so nervous.

Best of luck!

Lori

I had my surgery 7/27 of this year. Due to COVID-19 my practice didn't allow guests into the waiting or recovery rooms, so I don't think it will strike them as unusual at all. The nurses and surgeon were very busy getting prepped for surgery so I doubt they would care if nobody was around with or without COVID restrictions.

I will echo loridee's comment- Having my cell phone on me was able to help distract my mind while in the waiting room. I didn't end up using it much post-op.

With COVID, I ended up with no choice in the matter, as I am sure most people who've had surgery this year have encountered. My mom was the one who dropped me off at the hospital and then she picked me up the following day.

Doctors and nurses are all accustomed to the varying levels of stress and anxiety in their patients...likely doubly so in the midst of this pandemic when they know that their patients are alone.

I relied heavily on my cell phone to text and chat with friends, muck about on social media, and generally keep myself distracted and entertained in the hours when I wasn't dozing. I even actually brought my laptop to the hospital with me, but never ended up using it. Definitely bring your cell phone with you and use it to touch base with friends and family to help mitigate the feelings of isolation.

I would think they're pretty used to that because of COVID. At the hospitals here, the only patients who are allowed to have people with them are children.

A friend dropped me off but I was alone until day 4 when I was discharged & another friend who’d had the surgery previously dropped in on her way to a medical appointment at the hospital. I had phone calls but honestly, I slept most of the time. I even found it hard to read or watch something - couldn’t concentrate.

I wasn’t allowed to have my phone with me in the surgical waiting room but they had lots of mags to read. They probably wouldn’t now in our covid world but I’d take a trashy one with you that you wouldn’t mind losing.

Good luck with your surgery.

I was also planning to be alone, because of covid and my hubby had to take care of kids etc. I asked the nurses and they advised me not to be alone. After everything, I am glad that I was not alone, things were difficult for me as I was throwing up until the 2nd day and needed help to get around in the room and to walk around.

Yep Drove myself there Had it done at 9 am and was back driving home the following day at 2 - I prefer to do this kind of stuff by myself. Heck i did heart stint surgery by myself. Kinda had no choice

On 09/29/2020 at 08:05, Mr Alley Gator said:

Yep Drove myself there Had it done at 9 am and was back driving home the following day at 2 - I prefer to do this kind of stuff by myself. Heck i did heart stint surgery by myself. Kinda had no choice

You were able to drive yourself? They told me I wasn’t allowed to drive after anesthesia.

I went to Mexico got mine and I was alone, in fact my family and friends still don’t know. You’ll do great. When you’re ready to go take an Uber or Lyft there and back home. Go shopping for what you’ll need before the procedure.

On 09/29/2020 at 12:27, samiaam25 said:

You were able to drive yourself? They told me I wasn’t allowed to drive after anesthesia.

I was told the same. It doesn’t matter how I arrive, but I can’t even take an Uber or taxi when I leave. It has to be family or friend.

Just like others who posted. The hospital wouldn't let my wife and daughter come see me. I took a taxi to the hospital I couldn't see them for 2.5 days. When they picked me up outside.

I will be alone due to the Covid restrictions. My husband is dropping me off and coming back the next day to pick me up.

I had mine on September 25th and went in solo. Just breathe and relax. The doctors and nurses are there to care for you and you’ll feel their care. Ask them questions about themselves if you are feeling anxious. It helped me a lot. After the procedure I was so doped up I didn’t seem to mind being alone. You’ll sleep a lot. Stay calm and BREATHE. This is about you. Enjoy the trip!