Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone sleeve to bypass?

Hi all. Looking for anyone who went from sleeve to bypass for GERD but also to lose weight too.

Edited by Christina760

Me! I only lost about 30 lbs with sleeve and gained half of it back due to maladaptive eating to avoid the symptoms of severe GERD. I just had revision to bypass on the 18th and am down 20 lbs from the start of my liquid diet 10 days prior to surgery. My doc said he expects me to lose about 60-65% of my excess weight, so a little less than I’d bypass was my first surgery.

2 hours ago, Christina760 said:

Hi all. Looking for anyone who went from sleeve to bypass for GERD but also to lose weight too.

Theres a revision forum that you can try asking in might have people over there that can help

@dorkyfaerie oohhh okay thank you so much for your reply! That’s really good! So like 60-65% of what you should be according to the bmi chart?

I’m getting prepared to have a bypass. Had the sleeve on 10/17/16

My sleeve was 12/17/2019. My RNY revision was 8/11/2020 due to severe GERD and hiatal hernia that caused intractable hiccups. Seeing as I was only about 8 months out from my original surgery, I’m still losing weight.

I had the sleeve in 2012 and just had the revision to bypass July 27th of this year. I lost 130 lbs on the sleeve. The only problem I had with it was the heartburn. I kept the weight off for 4 years but due to some negative changes in my life all at once I gained all of it back. I have to say I found the sleeve to be a much easier process than the bypass. The sleeve I had no negative reactions to any food. I could eat whatever I wanted but in moderation and the weight came off easily. With the bypass I'm having trouble eating. Certain foods get stuck in my chest which makes me have to throw it up. So far its been a very unpleasant experience but I hope as time goes on it will get better and I'll be able to eat more variety.

On 9/28/2020 at 12:34 PM, dorkyfaerie said:

Me! I only lost about 30 lbs with sleeve and gained half of it back due to maladaptive eating to avoid the symptoms of severe GERD. I just had revision to bypass on the 18th and am down 20 lbs from the start of my liquid diet 10 days prior to surgery. My doc said he expects me to lose about 60-65% of my excess weight, so a little less than I’d bypass was my first surgery.

@Latanya oh okay yes I gained back most but not all. I hear we have to chew a lot and it can get stuck. Hmmm. How much have you lost since your bypass?

12 hours ago, Christina760 said:

@Latanya oh okay yes I gained back most but not all. I hear we have to chew a lot and it can get stuck. Hmmm. How much have you lost since your bypass?

And anything to dry will get stuck too. I can't eat chicken right now. I had salmon and I was fine but once I reheated it, it got stuck. I'm struggling with what to eat now because I'm scared of food getting stuck. I have been having chicken noodle Soup and quiche because ive been able to keep them down although i either ate too much or two fast because the soup got stuck. So far I've lost 30 lbs. I can't even be excited because I'm miserable. A lot of people who have had the bypass and have had complications still say they don't regret it and they would do it again. I just think I wasn't ready for it. I wasn't in the right place thinking wise. But everyone's experience is different.

@Christina760 - He said I’ll lose less than I would have if I’d had bypass first, but expects that I’ll likely lose about 60 lbs, which is right in the 69-65% range for me. I’ll still be overweight by the BMI tables, but I’ll be much better off than I am now. I’d love to lose more, but I’m not getting my hopes up since this isn’t my first surgery.

I had sleeve in 2017. Just converted to RNY on 9/29 due to gerd. I was at my goal weight still from sleeve but have room to lose 30 lbs. my surgeon said I prob would but it would be a lot slower then first round and will take a little more work. Not just my diet (i was already pretty much sticking to Protein diet except occasionally).

I had the sleeve done 4 years ago. Lost 115 pounds. Gained about 20 pounds over the last year. I ended up with severe GERD, hiatal hernia and gallstones that cause severe pain. 9/6 I had the surgeries to fix all that which includes the bypass. It's been an interesting month. The healing process is different. food going down too fast will definitely be coming back up (vomiting). Anything not chewed will be coming back up. Premier Protein is smooth enough to stay down. Soups like French onion, chicken noodle (minute the noodles) veggie Soup. Salmon. 2 good Yogurt and high Protein high Fiber oatmeal. Stays down for me. It's a big adjustment. I know that this is just a phase that we go through. I can eat boiled eggs now too. Eat slowly-chew slowly-swallow slowly. Drink 60 ounces of Water. Follow the doctors orders. You'll loose weight

I've seen people successfully keep the weight off with both. They stick to the high protein/low carb and don't eat anything they did before ( that made them obese....like breads, maccoroni, rice, flour, sugar, fried foods).

How are you all managing Constipation? That's been interesting.

Take care and give yourselves room to adjust. Things will get better. We make the best of the tool ( bypass) and it will work for us. Everything will workout for the greater good. We deserve healthy and happy lives and we embrace them daily.