Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone 30-31 BMI pre op?

On 10/5/2020 at 2:17 AM, Boymama said:

Who did you find that would do your surgery with a low BMI? I called all around in the state I live (Utah) and they all say I need a BMI of at least 35 to be able to have the surgery and I would have to pay out of pocket.

If you want to stay in the states I hear that Blossom Bariatrics in NV will do it (I researched and then decided on Mexico). Belite Weight and True You Weightloss are a couple of the places I've seen on these forums where people have gone. Edited to say that my BMI is 31 and I'm scheduled for Nov 30th.

Edited by niabo

My BMI was 30.1 before surgery. Only qualified for ESG. I wasn’t worried about losing too much but I did lose more than I expected. 204lbs SW. 120lbs CW. I’m 5’7” so I’m thin but I feel fantastic, health is great and I’ve maintained for almost 1.5 years.

4 minutes ago, LynnV1964 said:

My BMI was 30.1 before surgery. Only qualified for ESG. I wasn’t worried about losing too much but I did lose more than I expected. 204lbs SW. 120lbs CW. I’m 5’7” so I’m thin but I feel fantastic, health is great and I’ve maintained for almost 1.5 years.

How quickly did you start losing?

I started losing immediately after procedure. By my one week follow up I was down 11lbs! 5 was from the 2 day clear liquid diet before procedure. I lost 84lbs in 8-9 months. Only intended to lose about 55lbs but it kept going. You can put the brakes on the weight loss by upping your carbs and healthy fats to get more calories in

I had one stall at the change from Clear Liquids to purée but only for 1 week

23 minutes ago, LynnV1964 said:

I started losing immediately after procedure. By my one week follow up I was down 11lbs! 5 was from the 2 day clear liquid diet before procedure. I lost 84lbs in 8-9 months. Only intended to lose about 55lbs but it kept going. You can put the brakes on the weight loss by upping your carbs and healthy fats to get more calories in

I had one stall at the change from Clear Liquids to purée but only for 1 week

That is amazing! Thank you for sharing with me. I’m so glad it worked for you. I hope I am the same way. I have surgery today! I’m getting ready to leave soon. I’m having the VSG. My BMI is 32 and I heard that it is a slow weight loss for lower BMI. I’m hoping to lose a fair amount quickly. I’m nervous and excited. I hope it all goes well! What did you eat on the clear liquid for the week after surgery? I’ve only been on liquids for 3 days pre surgery and I struggled. I am so hungry. I just ate sugar free Jello, chicken broth and Premier Protein shakes. I too lost 5 pounds before surgery. Also, did you feel hungry after surgery? Sorry for so many questions 😂

Edited by Boymama

1 hour ago, Lovely2020 said:

Lynn. Did you hit any stalls? My BMI Was. 30. I lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks but have been Stuck at the same weight for a week or so now.

That is great that you have lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks! Are you still eating pureed food or are you eating regular food?

I had a starting bmi of 30.1. I had the ESG done at True You weight loss in Cary, NC. I'm 20 weeks post op (today) and have lost 47 pounds. I'm within 15 pounds to 2nd goal weight. Weight loss has been steady except when I was on vacation (no gain but no loss). I'm not the type of person who can "ban certain foods for life". I do have chips and sweets just not much. (Husband finally took the leftover halloween candy to work with him!!). Sorry if I got off topic.

On 11/06/2020 at 07:09, Boymama said:

That is great that you have lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks! Are you still eating pureed food or are you eating regular food?

I am 2 years post op now. That’s just what happened initially. Maintaining for over 1 year at 120lbs and try to eat at least 1800 cals a day

15 hours ago, LynnV1964 said:

Those are my stats exactly! I'm scheduled for the 30th and I was worried about losing too much, not being able to lose enough, and other things they don't really mention about low BMI. I'm exactly 204lbs now, and my goal weight range is 140-150. I "hold" weight and tend to look lighter than what I usually am so I'm comfortable with that range (but I'm not stressing about being lighter-LOL). Thank you for your post.

Can I ask, did you experience anything different than people with higher BMIs (e.g. losing slower, recovery, issues)?

On 11/06/2020 at 13:52, niabo said:

Those are my stats exactly! I'm scheduled for the 30th and I was worried about losing too much, not being able to lose enough, and other things they don't really mention about low BMI. I'm exactly 204lbs now, and my goal weight range is 140-150. I "hold" weight and tend to look lighter than what I usually am so I'm comfortable with that range (but I'm not stressing about being lighter-LOL). Thank you for your post.

Can I ask, did you experience anything different than people with higher BMIs (e.g. losing slower, recovery, issues)?

I think I lost rather quickly and no real recovery issues. No energy at all for like 3-4 days but was back to work 1 week later.

I have major issues with belching. My doctor said it is more typical in smaller patients with low BMI. Yes, I am in the purée stage now. I have to admit. Do do plenty of Soups. Some creame based which I should probably cut back. I also eat small pieces of chicken tenders and shrimp but I chew them up to mush to be sure it digest well. I am sure my stall will pass eventually. I was told the weight loss would be slower with a lower BMI. I am still proud of my 20lbs. I bet my body is just trying to adjust to everything.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:28 AM, CTexas said:

My BMI was 31 it is now 30. I had the lap-band for 12 years and stayed at my goal weight nearly the entire time. Lap band was super effective. Unfortunately it slipped and it was removed.

Fast forward a year and 40 lb. gain, I had gastric sleeve surgery beginning of June. It's October 1 and I've lost 19 lbs. 10 lbs. was lost in the 1st week.

Even with proper diet and steady exercise, don't expect the weight to fly off.

Almost the exact same ..... Banded 2009 at 44bmi 223lbs, stayed at 143lbs till it slipped in 2017. I loved my band tina.... she was awesome. Fast Forward 2.5 years and a 30lb weight gain. Sleeve SX 8/28/2019 at 173lbs. My weight loss was and still is pretty great. I'm down to 120lbs.... and a 21bmi.

14 months ago