Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleevers who are years out what’s your average day of eating look like?

Hi! I’m 4 years out and am curious what others eat in a day who are around the same amount of time out from surgery?

I still can only fit around a cup of food per meal and I eat every 2-4 hours otherwise I feel a bit off... I think calorie wise I’m around the 1400-1600 mark, I’m also trying to grow some muscles so I don’t want to eat much less then that but I definitely don’t hurt myself either and some days I find my sleeve is tighter and doesn’t fit a lot and some days I can go back for seconds lol

I'm 3 months out and can eat a cup and 3/4 food.

The stomach stretches.

Tobuild muscle you need 2000+ calories a day with .75g protien per lb target weight. Probably 200g carb a day.

My stomach stretched to accommodate my heavy workouts.

I did by expanding volume at month 3 with 12-24 ounces Water in one sitting. Sometimes with a cubed apple. The raw fruit and liquid volume will stretch stomach but have to do at least for a week everyday.

Now you can eat 2000+ cals in one sitting, bend, run, go for it at gym.

Did this help you?

-------

I'm3 months out and can eat a cup and 3/4 food.

The stomach stretches.

Tobuild muscle you need 2000+ calories a day with .75g protien per lb target weight. Probably 200g carb a day.

I did by expanding volume at month 3 with 12-24 ounces Water in one sitting. Sometimes with a cubed apple. The raw fruit and liquid volume will stretch stomach but have to do at least for a week everyday.

1 hour ago, Kikikiki said:

Hi! I’m 4 years out and am curious what others eat in a day who are around the same amount of time out from surgery?

I still can only fit around a cup of food per meal and I eat every 2-4 hours otherwise I feel a bit off... I think calorie wise I’m around the 1400-1600 mark, I’m also trying to grow some muscles so I don’t want to eat much less then that but I definitely don’t hurt myself either and some days I find my sleeve is tighter and doesn’t fit a lot and some days I can go back for seconds lol

RNY here but I'm out about the same amount of time (5 years for me). My maintenance calorie range is about the same as yours.

I can eat too much if I don't watch it so I count calories at 2 years out. I lose at 1,200-1,500. I've been eating too much lately and it shows. I have an apt. with my dietician so she can say... no more frozen yogurt and I can complain about it. :)

I am 10 years out. Still have restriction - I don't count calories, sorry. I eat either 2 medium steamed eggs for Breakfast or oatmeal (lower sugar packet) with a handful of raisins or other dried fruit or fresh fruit.( I can rarely finish that) I need a mid morning snack most days - small serving of fruit and cheese or a yogurt or something similar. I drink a few cups of coffee before and after breakfast, and snack.... strong coffee with whole milk. lunch is usually a salad I make from home or a wrap using a lo carb wrap (60 calorie one) with chicken or tuna or chopped steak... homegrown fresh veggies (tomato, cucumber, radish, shredded carrots.. whatever) and either 1/2 sm avocado or some Salad Dressing in and on it. Or in cooler months a bowl of hearty Soup. I may have another snack in the afternoon or not.... this ends up usually being the rest of my lunch that I didn't finish. dinner is fish/chicken/beef or some kind of veggie dish with shredded cheese or something. After dinner I have a treat. A cookie or a single serving of ice cream or sometihing like that. I do't eat a lot at a time. And I drink Water during the day. I Watch carbs and highly processed foods - and I stay away from frozen meals that have a ton of processed stuff and too much sodium.

I know that didn't help much.... I can't deal with counting calories. I can never figure out how many calories are in a handful of this or a few of that....

3 minutes ago, BriarRose said:

I am 10 years out. Still have restriction - I don't count calories, sorry. I eat either 2 medium steamed eggs for Breakfast or oatmeal (lower sugar packet) with a handful of raisins or other dried fruit or fresh fruit.( I can rarely finish that) I need a mid morning snack most days - small serving of fruit and cheese or a yogurt or something similar. I drink a few cups of coffee before and after breakfast, and snack.... strong coffee with whole milk. lunch is usually a salad I make from home or a wrap using a lo carb wrap (60 calorie one) with chicken or tuna or chopped steak... homegrown fresh veggies (tomato, cucumber, radish, shredded carrots.. whatever) and either 1/2 sm avocado or some Salad Dressing in and on it. Or in cooler months a bowl of hearty Soup. I may have another snack in the afternoon or not.... this ends up usually being the rest of my lunch that I didn't finish. dinner is fish/chicken/beef or some kind of veggie dish with shredded cheese or something. After dinner I have a treat. A cookie or a single serving of ice cream or sometihing like that. I do't eat a lot at a time. And I drink Water during the day. I Watch carbs and highly processed foods - and I stay away from frozen meals that have a ton of processed stuff and too much sodium.

I know that didn't help much.... I can't deal with counting calories. I can never figure out how many calories are in a handful of this or a few of that....

No, that’s really helpful! Your day of eating is actually very similar to mine when I’m on track but then some days I fall off and eat so silly! Yeah I know about the calorie counting, I don’t do it but just did that few times to get an idea of how much I was eating, mainly curious but also because I was starting to regain a bit of weight so just wanted to see where I was at... have you ever experienced dumping syndrome from eating like this?

7 hours ago, JessLess said:

I can eat too much if I don't watch it so I count calories at 2 years out. I lose at 1,200-1,500. I've been eating too much lately and it shows. I have an apt. with my dietician so she can say... no more frozen yogurt and I can complain about it. :)

Haha aw no! Do you find that you graze all day when you over eat or is it in the one sitting that you can over eat?

12 hours ago, Sumo49 said:

I'm 3 months out and can eat a cup and 3/4 food.

The stomach stretches.

Welcome to the forums.

Tek

12 hours ago, Sumo49 said:

Did this help you?

-------

I'm3 months out and can eat a cup and 3/4 food.

The stomach stretches.

Wow! I get a bit sick if I try fit too much... I know that if your training heavy then you need to fuel your body, so did you purposely stretch your stomach for this reason?

11 hours ago, Kikikiki said:

Haha aw no! Do you find that you graze all day when you over eat or is it in the one sitting that you can over eat?

Both are possibilities. But when I really thought about it, I eat appropriate meals and don't snack much until... sundown. It's evening snacking while mindlessly watching movies or TV with my husband that I need to nip in the bud.

Edited by JessLess

9 hours ago, JessLess said:

Both are possibilities. But when I really thought about it, I eat appropriate meals and don't snack much until... sundown. It's evening snacking while mindlessly watching movies or TV with my husband that I need to nip in the bud.

Actually that’s one of my problems as well... I can do well all day but in the evenings when we are all settled down and the munchies come out I can’t help myself! And I’m not hungry it’s more of me just not wanting to be left out haha

On 9/26/2020 at 4:52 AM, Kikikiki said:

I am a sleeve and 2.5 year post op. I have pretty significant restriction still and can eat about a cup or so per meal. (Lots of pics of the volume I can eat on the food Before and After thread). I still log everything I eat, and maintain at around 2000 cals. I get 2K cals in by eating calorie dense food, and eating frequently.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:05 PM, Kikikiki said:

Wow! I get a bit sick if I try fit too much... I know that if your training heavy then you need to fuel your body, so did you purposely stretch your stomach for this reason?

Yes.

1. It depends on how much fuel you need

2. You realize can't or don't wantvto eat every 2-4 hrs. Too cumbersome!

3. It's a fact competitive eaters (eg, Nathan's hot dog eating contest) "train" their stomachs to eat 40-80 hot dogs by stretching it with daily routines. See on internet. Some are only 150 lb people, yet trained stomach hold 70 hot dogs. WITH the buns!

4. #3 is not a sport to me, but their training shows we can safely stretch stomachs. Just as we know we can stretch any soft tissue in our body. It's malable material. You decide on goals with Doctor input.

5. If your goal is not heavy training, DO NOT stretch your stomach.

6. If your goal is intense activity and need more fuel (I previously had a gia-normus stomach), you can slowly resize it by "training" it and checking with your Doctor.

We are not made of steel or wood (figurative).

Our body does adapts, based on consistent training, that is sometimes painful.

It just needs time to adapt through training.

After almost a year and a half I'm currently at 1200 calories per day because I'm trying to lose back a little bit of regain and continue on down to my goal weight.

My general day is something small for breakfast (cheese cubes and dried fruit, half a Protein Bar, a few pieces of fresh fruit with Peanut Butter or another type of dip), a small snack mid-morning (usually sweet - a few squares of chocolate or some more fruit), a sandwich of some sort for lunch, another small snack mid-afternoon (usually savory - a handful of chips or crackers, less than a full serving), and then dinner is a bit of a free-for-all - usually some type of chicken or fish, sometimes literally just vegetables (last night was rice, carrots, and sweet potatoes).

One of the biggest things that I need to cut back on is snacking after dinner. I tend to stay up late and that means that my body thinks we need to eat periodically even when we really don't, and I find myself grazing - a bite of this, a handful of that - and I think that's a lot of where the aforementioned regain came from. I'm going to try to monitor that better and either not snack at all once I've had dinner or be very strict with my timing and make sure I just have one small snack that aligns with the others I've had throughout the day instead of blowing them out of the Water.