Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Modified Duodenal Switch

Newbie and SO excited about surgery....at least I think I'm excited! Initially went to my first appointment thinking I would have the gastric sleeve, but left leaning toward having the Modified Switch. Would love to hear how others surgery went - I want the good, bad and ugly. I would love to hear from any other "switchers"!

I had the Modified DS (SADI-S) in April 2020. Since the beginning of the year, I have lost 102 lbs. Half was lost pre-OP. The results have exceeded my expectations and I'm really pleased. It is a challenging process requiring a lot of will power to make difficult changes. Take this opportunity now that you are on a restrictive liquid diet to forget the foods you used to eat. Build a new long term nutritional plan and follow it. I hope your surgery goes smooth and your recovery is quick.

@california guy,

Thank you for response. I am very excited, just nervous (as is normal)! Congrats on your weight loss!

@Ms. Mocie,

I honestly don't know other than the modified version is reportedly less invasive and easier? I am hoping it's easier recovery wise as well.

I had the surgery on Feb 22nd of this year, so I am a little over a month out. Mine is long story as I had a Gastric Bypass in 2017 around the same time, and then almost exactly 2 years later, it had to be reversed due to stomach ulcers trying to perforate my stomach.
I gained a lot of weight back more then 50% of what I had lost in over the next two years, and had some other issues, so I went back to my surgeon and we decided I could do the modified DS switch.
I absolutely love it. I will say there are some interesting things that people mentioned that in MY case I have note experienced, like if I eat something that is fatty like cheese or bacon, that it will send me running to the bathroom where-in I would be treated to an explosion and a smell that only a mother could love and she would question it. This is not true in my case.

If anything at times I will need stool softener's to help go to the bathroom on occasion. Nothing like what I experienced post Gastric Bypass though. I am able to eat more at a sitting with the DS then after Gastric Bypass as well. I am being careful though to not over eat. If I had to do it all over again then I would opt for the DS

Hello!

I got the SADI-s on February 5th of this year, so I'm 7 weeks post op. Let me tell ya, my recovery has been kinda rough. I've had a lot of problems with indigestion/stomach gas that is really uncomfortable. I could hardly eat anything for a month, and I'm really just now able to eat some regular-ish foods. The dietician at my surgeon's office keeps reminding me that everyone's recovery is different and that this could be a 4-6 month process of my body adjusting.

The surgeon said I had acid reflux, and put me on high doses of PPIs, which didn't improve my issues at all. I'm a healthcare professional myself, and I know damn well that acid reflux can be caused by LOW acid production as well, so I took myself off the PPIs. Once I did that, my acid reflux improved significantly. I'd also like to note that what my surgeon was saying was acid reflux didn't feel like the typical esophageal burning or "heart burn"...it's more like a rumbling gas in my stomach with a feeling of having to burp without being able to burp. Just stuck, rumbling gas in my stomach that's soooo uncomfortable.

I also had constant low level nausea for the first month, but that has mostly resolved. My taste buds changed quite a bit and I couldn't tolerate sweet AT ALL...especially fruity fake sweet, so I had a hard time drinking gatorade when I was feeling dehydrated or the Protein Shakes I had purchased. I also had a constant bitter taste in my mouth. All of this is resolving though and isn't nearly as severe as it was that first month.

There are good days and bad days, but overall I am definitely improving. My energy is much better (I was horribly fatigued for the first month and had to take daily naps, which I never did before) and different foods are sitting better in my stomach. I still get pretty bad indigestion sometimes. Like right this second, my stomach is gurgling around and it's SO LOUD and uncomfortable. Luckily, I've found some great digestive bitters that help a lot.

That first month, I was a mess and regretting my surgery decision. I was miserable. Now, I have more hope and I'm realizing that my body is just healing, and that takes some time. Also, healing is not linear, and that's okay.

With all of that being said, I lost 8lbs during my 2 week pre-op diet and have lost 52lbs since my surgery date. I only weigh myself every 2 weeks and it looks like I had a significant stall and only lost 3lbs between 2 of my weigh ins. I wasn't surprised at all about that because I hadn't felt like I had lost weight during those 2 weeks and everyone had warned me about the 3-6 week stall. No biggie. My next weigh day is in a week.

I'm noticing improvements in my mobility and the way I'm able to move my body now, which was my motivation for getting the surgery in the first place. That's incredibly encouraging and makes me feel positive about the surgery and my future.

I hope all of that helped! You said you wanted the good, the bad, and the ugly!