Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was eating fruit by that point. But I have a sleeved stomach so it might be slightly different. Any fruit juice you drink should be the no sugar added kind though. Natural fruit juice without added sugar should be fine but really sweet fruit juice might make you dump. Avoid grapes though, I was told they're not a good fruit because they have a high sugar content.

1 hour ago, Latanya said:

I am 3 months out of the gastric bypass. Is it OK to add fruit and fruit juice to my diet or will the sugar cause me to dump?

I am a little over 3 weeks and ive been doing cranberry juice (diet) but no plans to add fruit

I was eating low glycemic fruits at that point - for example, a few berries on my yogurt. I still don't drink fruit juice at five years out. I occasionally drink those five-calorie cranberry "beverages", but they only have like 10% fruit juice in them.

oh and I agree. Dumping is an individual thing. I've never dumped. I've heard/read on this forum and others that only about a third of RNY'ers dump, although I don't think I've ever seen any actual medical research on this. Although I do know a lot of people who don't dump.

Edited by catwoman7

16 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

I didn't this either I dumped because I have never needed to run to the bathroom after eating something.
But earlier this summer, the hospital team wanted me to go on nutridrinks and that sort of things with high calories in a 200 ml bottle. It took me a while to figure out why I after each one even half a bottle or a third, had heart races, and had to lie down. I could shake and almost pass out - feeling awful for about 1,5 hours. Yep, dumping.

yea -- that sounds like dumping! A lot of people think vomiting after eating is "dumping", but it's not - what you described are classic symptoms of dumping (p.s., of course, vomiting after eating can be one sign of dumping - but often, it's not. It's just that your stomach isn't happy with whatever you ate, for whatever reason. But what you described with shaking and almost passing out sounds like true dumping)

Edited by catwoman7

8 hours ago, Latanya said:

I am 3 months out of the gastric bypass. Is it OK to add fruit and fruit juice to my diet or will the sugar cause me to dump?

What does your Doc's plan say? Compliance is not just a river in Egypt. ;)

fruit and fruit juice are very high in sugar, and if I'm gonna dump on something, it's going to be fruit juice. So, if you don't listen to me about compliance, listen to me about this. I've previously said that about 50% of RNY Post-ops dump, but it's actually my Doc's odds for me. It actually depends on how much is bypassed, slight procedure differences, and personal differences, so it can be as low as 20% or as high as 50%. [I did a google].

If you dump and get constipated, as I sometimes do, I do just enough fruit juice to cause things to loosen up, which is a symptom of dumping. If you don't listen to the first two parts, don't listen to this because it's not smart to try to dump as it can always go worse than you hope.

So, in summary, Plan, dumping, Constipation. Go out and kill it.

Tek

5 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

What does your Doc's plan say? Compliance is not just a river in Egypt. ;)

fruit and fruit juice are very high in sugar, and if I'm gonna dump on something, it's going to be fruit juice. So, if you don't listen to me about compliance, listen to me about this. I've previously said that about 50% of RNY Post-ops dump, but it's actually my Doc's odds for me. It actually depends on how much is bypassed, slight procedure differences, and personal differences, so it can be as low as 20% or as high as 50%. [I did a google].

If you dump and get constipated, as I sometimes do, I do just enough fruit juice to cause things to loosen up, which is a symptom of dumping. If you don't listen to the first two parts, don't listen to this because it's not smart to try to dump as it can always go worse than you hope.

So, in summary, Plan, dumping, constipation. Go out and kill it.

Tek

Thanks for the advice! I'll double check with my team. They did say focus on Protein but I am able to eat some veggies and fruit with it.

5 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I was eating low glycemic fruits at that point - for example, a few berries on my yogurt. I still don't drink fruit juice at five years out. I occasionally drink those five-calorie cranberry "beverages", but they only have like 10% fruit juice in them.

oh and I agree. Dumping is an individual thing. I've never dumped. I've heard/read on this forum and others that only about a third of RNY'ers dump, although I don't think I've ever seen any actual medical research on this. Although I do know a lot of people who don't dump.

Okay. Thanks!

13 hours ago, MsMocie said:

Yes, it is ok as long as you can handle it.
Nobody can answer if you are going to dump or not. This is individual.

Okay. Thanks! I would love to have a cold glass of orange juice.