Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is duodenal switch too drastic?

48 minutes ago, Strivingforbetter said:

I had the DS and take 3 Vitamins a day,(calcium, ADEK, B12), and my blood panel is great. I'm three years post-op and have only regained 5 pounds. I've never been able to control my weight and not feel deprived, but the DS has solved that problem. My BMI was only 40 when I had my surgery.

That is VERY encouraging. I could definitely handle that. It's the 40 Vitamins a day stuff that terrifies me.

Edited by Bon Bon Jovi

10 hours ago, Bon Bon Jovi said:

That is VERY encouraging. I could definitely handle that. It's the 40 Vitamins a day stuff that terrifies me.

It's very personal to each individual. For instance, I have to take a good deal of zinc (and then copper to balance it out) bc I had terrible itching, colds that wouldn't leave, etc. Not everyone has malabsorption in that area, but I do.

Strivingforbetter is very fortunate. Many DSers I know can't take ADEK after the first year or so. It's just not enough. They have to separate A,D,E,K into separate pills. As Strivingforbetter references, it's all based on your bloods. 😎

Looking at your title again, yes, the DS is a drastic surgery. Probably the most in the WLS arsenal.

Edited by Postop

8 hours ago, Postop said:

It's very personal to each individual. For instance, I have to take a good deal of zinc (and then copper to balance it out) bc I had terrible itching, colds that wouldn't leave, etc. Not everyone has malabsorption in that area, but I do.

Strivingforbetter is very fortunate. Many DSers I know can't take ADEK after the first year or so. It's just not enough. They have to separate A,D,E,K into separate pills. As Strivingforbetter references, it's all based on your bloods. 😎

Looking at your title again, yes, the DS is a drastic surgery. Probably the most in the WLS arsenal.

I guess it's a bit of a gamble that I really need to think long and hard about. I feel like I'm really rolling the dice with this surgery.

You have been very helpful! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It's more valuable than you know!!

Edited by Bon Bon Jovi