Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone eat carbs?

21 hours ago, km13118 said:

In my experience and this is just my opinion. The problem with carbs is that they are quickly digested thus don't curb one's hunger very long. If you fill up on carbs you will probably find that you are eating more often thus consuming more calories. I want to get the most bang so I avoid carbs and mostly stick to Protein and healthy fats.

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, Latanya said:

Thanks!

Hello

Carbs are in many different foods, fruits and veggies. It is about eating them with moderation. I try to eat more green leaf veggies that do not have many calories and low in carbs.

I can provide a list of them if you would like

From the movie Mama Mia 2, "I think my soulmate might be carbs." "And mine must be wine." Best quote ever!

On 9/17/2020 at 12:11 PM, Latanya said:

I miss my sandwiches.

You don't have to deprive yourself of sandwiches. There are a lot of low carb high Fiber tortillas, pitas and flatbreads that make great sandwiches! Just stay away from fluffy white bread.

On 9/16/2020 at 1:07 PM, summerset said:

Nonsense. Eating too much calories slows down your weight loss.

not nonsense for people that are sensitive to carbs or have trouble metabolizing them (i.e. diabetics and the like), especially bad ones (bagels, sweets, white bread, etc...). but I agree with another poster that it does affect satiety levels which is probably leading me to eat more calories. although my calories are still pretty low at this point and I exercise like madd now.

Edited by angryspice

I have been a little slow at moving on from soft foods, had several issues with foods I tried and throwing up afterwards, salmon one time soft broccoli another. Several veggies have made me ill, zucchini has been one of the few veggies I could tolerate. I tried roasted cauliflower today and hooray, it worked! Very thankful! RNY surgery was 7/27, and I am down 54 lbs.

I can’t live carbless, just not in my DNA. I ate very little processed carbs during my weight loss phase, but I did have some. I’ve been at my goal weight for over a year and I do eat bread, rice, crackers etc.. I eat less of it and avoid carbs that I know I’ll go to town on like potatoes, or popcorn...although, I have let a little potato back in my life, I just save that for special occasions.

I feel like I have a regular diet, I stick to 1350-1500 calories a day depending on how active I am and it includes carbs every single day.

9 hours ago, Cheeseburgh said:

I can’t live carbless, just not in my DNA. I ate very little processed carbs during my weight loss phase, but I did have some. I’ve been at my goal weight for over a year and I do eat bread, rice, crackers etc.. I eat less of it and avoid carbs that I know I’ll go to town on like potatoes, or popcorn...although, I have let a little potato back in my life, I just save that for special occasions.

I feel like I have a regular diet, I stick to 1350-1500 calories a day depending on how active I am and it includes carbs every single day.

Love hearing this, Cheeseburgh. My DNA sounds much as yours, maybe because I was born in Illinois, lol. Realizing we are all different, my stats were much the same as yours pre-op, I’m very much limiting carbs during this WL phase, but if I can enjoy 1350-1500 in maintenance I will be a happy camper with a balanced menu. Congratulations on your stellar success! and thank you for sharing your journey!

2 hours ago, Lily66 said:

Love hearing this, Cheeseburgh. My DNA sounds much as yours, maybe because I was born in Illinois, lol. Realizing we are all different, my stats were much the same as yours pre-op, I’m very much limiting carbs during this WL phase, but if I can enjoy 1350-1500 in maintenance I will be a happy camper with a balanced menu. Congratulations on your stellar success! and thank you for sharing your journey!

Two processed carbs that really helped me during weight loss phase.

1. Wonton wrappers. 3 wrappers are 60 calories and 12 carbs. Spray a muffin tin with Pam and make cups with them. I forget, but you bake them at 375 for xyz minutes. (Recipes all over internet) I put stir fry, or sugar free pudding, chunky applesauce and even have made pizza cups with these.

Number 2 Was my go to and kept me sane. And my main processed carb.

Good old store bought hard taco shells. 2 shells are 93 calories with 12 carbs. Brands vary, so check labels. I fill with 96% lean ground beef, dry taco season mix and veggies. I swear I ate this 6 meals a week (lunch/dinner) for a year. I still make it, just not as often. 3 oz of the meat with 2 taco shells is only 198 calories. I’d break them up and make a taco salad too.

Hope that helps you!

Edited by Cheeseburgh

On 9/7/2020 at 9:38 PM, Latanya said:

Anyone eat carbs like bread and are OK with it? I'm wondering if further in my journey if I'll be able to have it again.

Be careful with bread after bypass is what I have heard. I have eaten a half cheeseburger with the bun and had no issues since my revision to bypass.

2 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

Be careful with bread after bypass is what I have heard. I have eaten a half cheeseburger with the bun and had no issues since my revision to bypass.

bypass patient here. I didn't eat bread during the weight loss phase, but I eat it occasionally now.

I'm only two and a half months out but on my plan it states I can start introducing 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice/pasta etc after 3 months post op. Of course they state to get your Protein and veggies in first always! Surgery is a tool to help us lose weight not deprive us of certain foods forever. I was allowed to introduce quinoa 1 month out and I tolerated it well. It was nice to add a little something different that wasn't just protein and veggies :)

23 minutes ago, Amanda0911 said:

I'm only two and a half months out but on my plan it states I can start introducing 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice/pasta etc after 3 months post op. Of course they state to get your Protein and veggies in first always! Surgery is a tool to help us lose weight not deprive us of certain foods forever. I was allowed to introduce quinoa 1 month out and I tolerated it well. It was nice to add a little something different that wasn't just Protein and veggies :)

You'd think we would have learned that nothing diet-wise is forever.

"I'll never eat this food, that I love, again." Yeah, that's gonna happen.

"All things in moderation. Including moderation." (Oscar Wilde, probably)

But, we have to put off certain food exploration as long as we can. Learning that we can eat that little candy bar, or we can drink 1/2 that chocolate shake, are things we don't need to know in week 5. Learning to eat around our surgeries is the beginning of a long, hard road filled with "wanting to get back on track"

It's funny, though. "It was nice to add a little something different that wasn't just protein and veggies." Protein and veggies where heaven for me. My "perfect" meals where generally protein and vegies. You were excited to add brown rice. Yuck.

We are all built so differently. It's amazing our surgeries work for so many people with such differences.

Keep up the good work,

Tek

It's a psychological mind...trip for me. If I was told I could never have a carb again, I would immediately start dwelling and questioning my decision for surgery (ie-"what's the point of losing weight if I can't splurge sometimes, ultimately being miserable?")

The fact that I *can* have them occasionally and it hasn't affected my weight loss, makes more indifferent to them, and more likely to save them for special occasions in moderation.

The mind-she's powerful.

Edited by Guest

I eat some carbs - but differently now. I will have a lo carb wrap with lunch a day or two a week - or some brown and wild rice or quinoa blend with veggies and Protein ... if I go out for Chinese I order a chicken and veggie dish and might sprinkle rice on top like a condiment !! Pasta on occasion if there are veggies involved. I don’t let it be the center of a meal. If I were to have a burger or hot dog I might have half of half of a bun - but I couldn’t eat a whole normal restaurant hamburger anyway. I usually get it lettuce wrapped and take half home.