Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone eat carbs?

Grain based carbs are more for when you've reached your goal and need to slow down weight loss or to maintain,

1 minute ago, AZhiker said:

Grain based carbs are more for when you've reached your goal and need to slow down weight loss or to maintain,

Okay. Thanks!

I haven’t gone back to eating bread & don’t miss it. For me, I don’t want to fill my tummy with bread, rice & Pasta but prefer to get in my Protein, vegetables, fruit & dairy. Also, I used to eat a lot of bread & rice & believe they contributed to my being the weight I was. Personally, I do feel better without them.

I do eat porridge & a single serve of whole/multi grain crackers as a snack with hummus, avocado, etc. most days. That gives me some good carbs & satisfies my desire for them. This works for me.

There are low/no carb breads available if you want to try them but as AZhiker suggested: wait until you’ve reached your goal.

I eat bread occasionally but didn't start doing that until I was in maintenance. I still don't eat much of it and don't eat it very often.

1 hour ago, Arabesque said:

I haven’t gone back to eating bread & don’t miss it. For me, I don’t want to fill my tummy with bread, rice & Pasta but prefer to get in my Protein, vegetables, fruit & dairy. Also, I used to eat a lot of bread & rice & believe they contributed to my being the weight I was. Personally, I do feel better without them.

I do eat porridge & a single serve of whole/multi grain crackers as a snack with hummus, avocado, etc. most days. That gives me some good carbs & satisfies my desire for them. This works for me.

There are low/no carb breads available if you want to try them but as AZhiker suggested: wait until you’ve reached your goal.

I'm a bread, rice and Pasta person but you're right that is part of the reason I am where I am now. I hope I get to the point like you where I don't miss it. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I eat bread occasionally but didn't start doing that until I was in maintenance. I still don't eat much of it and don't eat it very often.

I would like to be able to have it once in awhile too when I reach maintenance. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Latanya said:

Anyone eat carbs like bread and are OK with it?

Eating plans vary big time.

I ate my first slice bread four weeks after surgery, foods like thinned mashed potatoes and pureed fruit within yoghurts were staples of the immediate post-op diet starting day two. I also ate Pasta and rice during the weight loss phase.

FYI I got down to a normal weight and maintain it.

16 hours ago, Latanya said:

Anyone eat carbs like bread and are OK with it? I'm wondering if further in my journey if I'll be able to have it again.

I was told not til 18 months out then you are outside the weightloss window

Carbs have never been excluded from my diet. During the weigh loss stage, they were a smaller part of my diet. Hitting Protein goals and keeping calories down didn't leave too much room for them. But now in maintenance, I eat relatively "normally", just smaller portions.

I really watched carb intake during the weight loss phase, and as sillykitty said, there just wasn't much room for them after getting Protein, and then veggies in. My weight came off very quickly - over 100# in 7 months, but I really did journal everything and was very careful. I did my best to maximize the first 6 months that I had heard about, and it worked for me. I added grain based carbs and fats very very slowly as I approached goal weight.

I eat quite a lot of carbs now, as whole grains, seeds, legumes, fruit, and starchy vegetables, I do not eat bread or processed grains except for some chick pea Pasta, I am very active and am maintaining my weight loss. If a few pounds creep back on, I cut down on the grains and nut butters. That takes care of it.

On 9/8/2020 at 2:25 AM, summerset said:

Eating plans vary big time.

I ate my first slice bread four weeks after surgery, foods like thinned mashed potatoes and pureed fruit within yoghurts were staples of the immediate post-op diet starting day two. I also ate Pasta and rice during the weight loss phase.

FYI I got down to a normal weight and maintain it.

That's good to know. Thanks!

I eat carbs in moderation but I’m extremely picky about what I have/how much. It hasn’t affected my weight loss negatively. I love the Joseph’s brand of pita/lavash bread and I’m a big fan of the great low carb bread company. They have high protein/fiber, low net carb bread products like everything Bagels, Pasta, etc. I eat half a bagel and I’m happy. I also love the Ezekiel brand of English muffins or bread as it is very high quality. I think it has. Ire to do that I can’t eat a lot of it anyways and when I do those are my go to which is so much better for you.

Oops *has more to do

early on, carbs made me tired, but now I can eat small amounts of basically anything. carbs don't fill me up and satisfy me for long periods of time the way Protein (mainly meat) does, but I can eat them if I want. they also aren't as good as I remembered and usually not worth it. carbs slow down weight loss and keep me in grazing mode.