Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop diet feeling sick

Started preop diet. I’m on day three of liquids. I only have to do liquids for 5 days. Doesn’t sound horrible, I know.. but I feel so tired, I’m having horrible headaches, I’m so hungry. I’m really praying this isn’t what I’m going to feel like after surgery. I’m used to drinking caffeine daily so I’ve had to cut that out, so I’m sure that’s the main reason, along with cutting all carbs. Please tell me it’s better after surgery bc I feel horrible. HELP.

It’s much better after surgery. I’m 6 weeks out and haven’t been at all hungry since I woke up from surgery. I’m eating less than 500 calories per day and I feel good. Before surgery, if I went a single day under 500 calories, I would have been weak and tired and ravenously hungry. The liquid diet still sucks after surgery because it just gets boring, but once you get to purées, it’s easier because you can eat things resembling real food.

I actually didn't start feeling hunger until this last month or two. I'm seven months out btw. And to be perfectly honest, I only actually feel hunger if I've gone about 5-6 hours without eating. That's generally how long it takes for my stomach to be like, "Excuse me, you need to eat. Now!" lol. I get nauseous if I don't eat when I actually feel hungry. But yes, it's much better after the surgery.

I’m day 5 of preop liquids, surgery tomorrow! Day 3 is the hardest I promise! You’ve got this! If you’re hungry just drink more Water and know you’re not alone!

those symptoms are common and I think they're mostly due to the carb withdrawal. Your body should go into ketosis around day 3 and 4, and things get a little easier then. And you should feel better after the surgery - I think that pre-op diet was the worst part of it. I was actually relieved the morning of surgery that the thing was finally over!

some people are hungry after surgery, but most of us lose our sense of hunger for a few months - so you're probably not going to feel as hungry after surgery, and you may not feel hunger at all.

I am day 5 of my 14 day pre-op diet. Ir stopped sucking yesterday and keeps getting easier. I found if i eat something with too little Protein then my body just gets mad and makes me hungier then i was before. You can do jt!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using BariatricPal mobile app