Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Hi all. I'm having an endoscopy on Monday. I've had one done before but I woke up with the tube down my throat. They said this was normal as they were finishing up but it left me with nightmares for a little over a week and a sore throat for about the same amount of time. I let the office know about this when they called me to schedule the appointment and they said that I would have the general anesthesia meaning that I would be knocked out for the duration of the procedure. I will also let the staff know before they take me back.

What has been your experience with the endoscopy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was under anesthesia for mine, so very comfortable :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! That’s crazy. I have had several & never woke up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, toodlerue said:

Wow! That’s crazy. I have had several & never woke up!

I can only hope that this will be my experience on Monday! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MsMocie said:

I was under anesthesia for mine, so very comfortable :)

Yes! Praying for that experience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normal to wake up during an endoscopy with a tube down your throat? s 👀 uh, what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lanie992 said:

Normal to wake up during an endoscopy with a tube down your throat? s 👀 uh, what?

Exactly! Craziness!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, FlabulousQueen said:

Exactly! Craziness!!

Sorry, I know my post wasn't helpful. I was just shocked. I am so sorry that happened to you. I bet that was horrifying. I would let them know before they start that happened to you in your previous endoscopy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I work in a GI department, and you should never wake up with the scope down your throat. How terrifying and uncomfortable that would be! An EGD is only a 5 minute procedure, maybe a little more if biopsies are taken, but it is very quick and the anesthesiologist should have kept you asleep during the entire thing. General anesthesia should not be necessary for an EGD. That is overkill. MAC (Monitored Anesthesia Care) with propofol is the best way to go. You breathe on your own and did not need an endotracheal tube, you are completely asleep and comfortable for the procedure, there is no nausea, and you wake up quickly and feeling great. I would sure talk to the anesthesiologist and let them know that you do NOT want to wake up! That is their job - to keep you safe AND comfortable!

Edited by AZhiker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

I work in a GI department, and you should never wake up with the scope down your throat. How terrifying and uncomfortable that would be! An EGD is only a 5 minute procedure, maybe a little more if biopsies are taken, but it is very quick and the anesthesiologist should have kept you asleep during the entire thing. General anesthesia should not be necessary for an EGD. That is overkill. MAC (Monitored Anesthesia Care) with propofol is the best way to go. You breathe on your own and did not need an endotracheal tube, you are completely asleep and comfortable for the procedure, there is no nausea, and you wake up quickly and feeling great. I would sure talk to the anesthesiologist and let them know that you do NOT want to wake up! That is their job - to keep you safe AND comfortable!

They tried that for me. I keept pulling put the scope even with midazolam on board with me. Needed anasthesia to have it done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AZhiker said:

I work in a GI department, and you should never wake up with the scope down your throat. How terrifying and uncomfortable that would be! An EGD is only a 5 minute procedure, maybe a little more if biopsies are taken, but it is very quick and the anesthesiologist should have kept you asleep during the entire thing. General anesthesia should not be necessary for an EGD. That is overkill. MAC (Monitored Anesthesia Care) with propofol is the best way to go. You breathe on your own and did not need an endotracheal tube, you are completely asleep and comfortable for the procedure, there is no nausea, and you wake up quickly and feeling great. I would sure talk to the anesthesiologist and let them know that you do NOT want to wake up! That is their job - to keep you safe AND comfortable!

Thank you so much for your post. I will make sure to talk to them before going in. It was terrifying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay. I am DONE with the endoscopy with NO issues. I talked to the anesthesiologist prior to the procedure. Told him what happened last time and I'm glad to say, It went really well. I was asleep for the whole thing. No sore throat. I am so happy that this experience went much better. Thank you all for your feedback! One hoop is behind me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×