Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any use intermittent fasting?



Recommended Posts

Am curious if any that had the RNY procedure use intermittent fasting and if so, which method? Has it helped you? Due to my Dr changing my synthroid dosage my weight loss has went to a crawl. Just 3 lbs since July 5th and was losing 2 lbs/week before then. Am considering doing intermittent fasting to shake things up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure how far out you are, but I personally wouldn't recommend IF. If you can only eat a limited amount of food as is right now, you won't be able to get the nutrients you need in one meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to do a lot of intermittent fasting, partly because Breakfast just doesn't sit right with me - never has. So waiting until noon to eat always been my groove. I used to be a major, major night time snacker in stead.
The last couple of years I have cycled through gaining a bit and correcting with IF. I helped me a lot through three brutal weeks of pre-op liquid diet.

Now however, I struggle to get in the calories suggested by the dietician. A lot. I get nauseous and vomit very easily, so postponing ( or skipping) meals is hugely tempting since I don't feel real hunger (only head hunger). IF with long fasting intervals is not an option for me at the moment - simply not enough time in the day.

With that said: I don't eat after 8.30 pm (to control the food addiction I have around night time snacking) and I don't start until earliest 8.30 am the next day - with me working from home I more often start eating around 10 am. I guess some would call that IF - to me however, IF is more of an 18:6 or 20:4 hour eating pattern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Eurocrat said:

I used to do a lot of intermittent fasting, partly because Breakfast just doesn't sit right with me - never has. So waiting until noon to eat always been my groove. I used to be a major, major night time snacker in stead.
The last couple of years I have cycled through gaining a bit and correcting with IF. I helped me a lot through three brutal weeks of pre-op liquid diet.

Now however, I struggle to get in the calories suggested by the dietician. A lot. I get nauseous and vomit very easily, so postponing ( or skipping) meals is hugely tempting since I don't feel real hunger (only head hunger). IF with long fasting intervals is not an option for me at the moment - simply not enough time in the day.

With that said: I don't eat after 8.30 pm (to control the food addiction I have around night time snacking) and I don't start until earliest 8.30 am the next day - with me working from home I more often start eating around 10 am. I guess some would call that IF - to me however, IF is more of an 18:6 or 20:4 hour eating pattern.

Thanks for replying. I finally broke my stall without IF. I did some research on it and it is strongly discouraged in the first year to year and a half for anyone who has had Bariatric surgery so will keep it on my back burner for down the road. I sort of do it anyways because I eat my first meal at 9 a.m. and I don't eat after 8 pm anyways.

How far out from your surgery are you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2020 at 3:13 PM, AuthorLizzy said:

Thanks for replying. I finally broke my stall without IF. I did some research on it and it is strongly discouraged in the first year to year and a half for anyone who has had Bariatric surgery so will keep it on my back burner for down the road. I sort of do it anyways because I eat my first meal at 9 a.m. and I don't eat after 8 pm anyways.

How far out from your surgery are you?

Good for you!
Keeping a level head through stalls can be a challenge. When it happens to me I get a bit panicky: "did I go through all of this to stay at 240!? Will I ever loose more weight!?" Those sort of thoughts race through my mind if the stall continues even though I'm doing all the right things.

My surgery was on July 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use intermittent fasting since almost two years now. Started because I wanted to try to get rid of some chronic low-grade inflammation in my shoulder. I don't know if this was just a placebo effect but my shoulder is way better. No pain and mobility is not as good as on the other side but way better than before. I use 16:8 for "maintenance" so to say, an occasional day with 18:6 or 20:4 if it fits my schedule.

In terms of weight loss it was maybe an additional 2 or 3 kg - not worth the hassle if you don't like the lifestyle IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2020 at 2:00 PM, Eurocrat said:

Good for you!
Keeping a level head through stalls can be a challenge. When it happens to me I get a bit panicky: "did I go through all of this to stay at 240!? Will I ever loose more weight!?" Those sort of thoughts race through my mind if the stall continues even though I'm doing all the right things.

My surgery was on July 15.

Yeah the mind likes to play lots of tricks during those stalls. I am now 20 lbs from goal so weight loss has slowed drastically but thankfully it's still going down. How has your progress been?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont eat past 6pm and Breakfast is around nine so i guess right now i have the 12 hour IF going. I dont eat past six because i dont want to regurg anything while i sleep though not to IF. with the pouch havent felt the need to enhance the program yet because i am losing at a decent rate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that's pretty much what I am doing too. Am glad you are losing at a good rate. I am within 20 of my goal and it has slowed way down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×